1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/3/14 1:32 p.m.

I love that I can find an all aluminum radiator for the Civic for $60-$70.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/3/14 1:46 p.m.

I'm going aluminum next time. This sucked. Can barely feel my toes. Aside from one snafu where I put the lower radiator hose on wrong(stupid me) and had to pull it all apart again, it was easy. Like working in blast freezer easy, but easy.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
1/3/14 1:49 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Armitage wrote: Total damage: $65 w/free shipping. How is this even a thing?
Because it will fail again within 12 months.

The reason I bought that part over others is that Denso is the OEM supplier for tons of parts on these cars already. The part looked identical in every way to the stock part that lasted 14 years and 150k miles. If I get even half of that out of the replacement I'll consider this a win.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/14 2:38 p.m.

If it was that cold around here I might just pay a shop to do it.

While we are ranting about radiators: The radiator in the RX-8 has a fitting that is made out of pixie dust- I snapped the fitting trying to remove a hose from it then did the exact same thing on the radiator in the donor car. I went with an OEM replacement (for now) but I am sure an all aluminum replacement will make it on the list sooner or later.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/14 3:02 p.m.

I got a replacement radiator for the lemons car from Rock Auto. It was all metal including the end tanks for like $100.00. The stock radiator has plastic end tanks.

So far so good.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
1/3/14 7:47 p.m.

Shoot! I just saw this- I have a kerosene heater you can use- I can meet you half way if you would like? I'm in Ann Arbor.

I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, as ususal. If you need it I'm off work tomorrow, just let me know.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/3/14 10:46 p.m.

In this weather my attitude towards cooling system issues is to pour in a tube of bars leaks and maybe leave the cap loose. If it doesn't fix itself, and plastic radiators never do, I'll deal with it come warmer weather.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
1/3/14 11:27 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Mine did this to me during the Ascutney hillclimb right before the bridge:
Once they turn that color they are a time bomb.

Maybe not quite a time-bomb. My '97 miata has had a brown plastic radiator for 60k before it crapped the bed... which was two days ago. Maybe mine was just a ticking time bomb with a low battery.

It looks like there are a few replacement radiators for under $100 on Amazon with hundreds of great reviews. I just might go that route until I can afford a nicer higher capacity radiator. I sure am interesting....

-Hamid

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/4/14 12:10 a.m.

the trick to doing a radiator swap in the dead of winter is to at least take the old one out while it's still warm... that way, you have warm coolant instead of subzero coolant soaking your hands, and a warm engine to set the tools on when you aren't using them.

also, try to park it so that the wind isn't hitting the front of the car.. -10 degrees isn't too bad if the sun's on your back and you are out of the wind.

if you have a garage, quit being a Bob Costas. even without heat, the cold is bearable as long as you don't lie directly on cold concrete for too long.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
1/4/14 12:13 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Shoot! I just saw this- I have a kerosene heater you can use- I can meet you half way if you would like? I'm in Ann Arbor. I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, as ususal. If you need it I'm off work tomorrow, just let me know.

One of the many reasons why GRM is so great.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/4/14 8:19 a.m.
Hasbro wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: Shoot! I just saw this- I have a kerosene heater you can use- I can meet you half way if you would like? I'm in Ann Arbor. I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, as ususal. If you need it I'm off work tomorrow, just let me know.

Exactly, but thanks anyway.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
1/4/14 1:07 p.m.

Sho nuff.

If you need it in the future let me know.

I had it running in my garage last night- it was 9 degrees outside, and 65 inside

beans wrote:
Hasbro wrote:
Exactly, but thanks anyway.
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
1/4/14 3:20 p.m.

I feel for you, I ended up changing a tie rod end and moving a non-running Mercedes from the garage to the barn in that. Guess I should have waited till I moved the car to do the tie rod end.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/4/14 9:41 p.m.

Jeep radiator sucked balls.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/5/14 4:24 p.m.

Yesterday wasn't as bad as Friday in terms of cold. Still wouldn't want to work on anything in this weather/cold. My dad offered me up his set-on-top-of-the-tank propane heater, but it was too late as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xRQjDDX1wGBaESo0cdk5tkGsaZlDuRZXxmOOnfVT6OS5Ap1XcqhiXrRTMD4KoW38