1 2
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/09 3:05 p.m.

We talked in quite a few threads this year about car design and I remember ranting in all of them about "bulging" lights. Well now Mazda has done it as well to the new 3 and I found a shot that explains what I'm talking about.

Others have said stuff like it helps the lighting, but I just don't buy it. Why do the lenses have to unnecessarily stick out past the body? Why can't they just be flush? I think it's just plain ugly, and to me these taillights do far more to ruin the 3 than the giant happy face grin.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
4/13/09 3:15 p.m.

The short answer is because they think that is what people will buy.

Another possibility is they asked themselves "what would Chris Bangle do?" Look at the current current Honda Accord and tell me they didn't copy the BMW 5 series and put a big "H" where the kidney bean grill usually resides.

TR3only
TR3only Reader
4/13/09 3:27 p.m.

Stylists are equating bulges with muscles. What type of person has a lot of muscular bulges? Athletes, most especially football players and weightlifters.

Think I'm wrong? Look at what has happened to ALL pickup trucks.....except for that "antiquey" Ranger.

Raze
Raze Reader
4/13/09 3:36 p.m.
TR3only wrote: Think I'm wrong? Look at what has happened to ALL pickup trucks.....except for that "antiquey" Ranger.

Wrong about the ranger, I have an 07, and since it's the same basic truck mechanically from 1996 on they've updated the hood with 'power bulges', my sport model has 'plastic fender flares' complete with 'plastic faux hex bolts holding them on', and the grille is more of the horizontal 'bulging' F150 style, but by comparison the bodywork didn't get 'bulged' ;)

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
4/13/09 3:50 p.m.

That and the flush mount lights require a flange pressed into the steel, wheras the bulging light requires only a lip. Tooling is expensive, after-all.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
4/13/09 3:54 p.m.

I like most of the bulging headlights.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
4/13/09 4:17 p.m.

As a driver on public roads, I am all for this because it generally means that the light is more visible around the corners of the vehicle. As a styling device, I could go either way.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
4/13/09 7:50 p.m.

I really like tail lights that, er, bulge. I was saying just the other day that I like what Toyota has been doing with theirs. They have a number of designs that stick out or have interesting contours. The Aura has nice lights, too.

Jay
Jay Dork
4/13/09 8:04 p.m.

Heh, well...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
4/13/09 8:58 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I really like tail lights that, er, bulge. I was saying just the other day that I like what Toyota has been doing with theirs. They have a number of designs that stick out or have interesting contours. The Aura has nice lights, too.

My issue with this is the FJ Cruiser. Big bulgy taillights are just gonna get smacked and cracked if you ever get serious offroad.

On a car I'm pretty meh about it, I've never had any plans on buying a new car ever, so I don't really care what automakers do.

shifty
shifty New Reader
4/13/09 9:05 p.m.

As cars get fatter, the develop "muffin top" taillights. The worst is the current Camry - just think of the trunk logo as a "tramp stamp".

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
4/14/09 2:15 a.m.

"bulging", that's what she said!

matt
matt New Reader
4/14/09 6:52 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: "bulging", that's what she said!

lmao!! ive seen both models of the new 3 in person (not the ms3) and i like the new grill. its like a sadistic evil plotting world domination smile that stewy griffin would have. the headlamps and tail lamps are ugly shape and protruding. its like when a slightly overweight chic wears clothes WAY too tight and all the bulges pop out. and not the good curvyness.

and the new ms3, now graduated to COP BAIT with that hood scoop.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/14/09 7:03 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Lugnut wrote: I really like tail lights that, er, bulge. I was saying just the other day that I like what Toyota has been doing with theirs. They have a number of designs that stick out or have interesting contours. The Aura has nice lights, too.
My issue with this is the FJ Cruiser. Big bulgy taillights are just gonna get smacked and cracked if you ever get serious offroad. On a car I'm pretty meh about it, I've never had any plans on buying a new car ever, so I don't really care what automakers do.

If you take an FJ offroad and you crack the tailights instead of the frame (that will be denied under warranty) I'd think you would be doing well.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/14/09 8:00 a.m.

The FIt got flush tail lights, headlights are bulging to all hell though! Type Q have you seen the new Insight? I think Honda purchased a E36 M3load of Prius from Toyota and just slapped new headlights and some "H"s on there.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
4/14/09 8:41 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: The FIt got flush tail lights, headlights are bulging to all hell though! Type Q have you seen the new Insight? I think Honda purchased a E36 M3load of Prius from Toyota and just slapped new headlights and some "H"s on there.

Yes I have. I actually pulled up next to one at a stop light last week. The style is strongly "influenced" by the Prius to say the least. I must be getting older because I think the EF (4th generation) Civic hatchback is one of the evolutionary high points of Honda design.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/14/09 8:59 a.m.
On a car I'm pretty meh about it, I've never had any plans on buying a new car ever, so I don't really care what automakers do.

Lol. I care because those will be the available pool of purchases when they get 10-12 years old.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/09 9:46 a.m.

It's interesting how much pack-think the car industry does. The most henious example I remember is when trunks were rounded off and shrunk. Remember the Taurus or Infinty J30?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/14/09 9:55 a.m.
kreb wrote: It's interesting how much pack-think the car industry does. The most henious example I remember is when trunks were rounded off and shrunk. Remember the Taurus or Infinty J30?

Fins

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/14/09 10:09 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Lol. I care because those will be the available pool of purchases when they get 10-12 years old.

That's funny. Whenever I see someone beating on a new car, I always yell for them to be nice to it, I may buy it in a few years!

Plus, I wonder if it's a sacrificial thing with the tailights, the break before the body gets dented, and are easier to be replaced.

Joey

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/14/09 10:37 a.m.

Yeah, protruding taillights are a new thing:

Shawn

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/09 10:57 a.m.

Those protruding taillights have style though. The current ones look like a fat chicks muffin-tops.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/14/09 10:58 a.m.

Do these count as protruding?

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
4/14/09 10:59 a.m.

What's old is new is old is new is old is new is old is new...

Duke
Duke Dork
4/14/09 11:53 a.m.

What I want to know is what's up with all the giant overscaled grille openings these days, most of which are actually nonfunctional because they are just black plastic with fake ribs instead of a real air inlet?

I mean, if you're making something hideous, at least make it hideous and functional.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aGoh0daEv0XDUDwRJfuhrYc7GglXn9mUamQI0AAjBVPKyjITWvFK60Q58Xjw9Prv