1 2 3
tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
1/23/19 7:42 a.m.

Been having an issue with the F350 diesel not starting in the morning.  Started back in November when it started getting colder.  Soldiered thru because I was so flat out with work that i didn't have time to deal with it.  Many mornings I would have to put a jump pack on it for a few minutes before it stated.  Tried charging batteries night before and then reconnecting them in the morning in case it was the truck draining them.  Nope, still weak.  Finally took them back to the place of purchase and the manager put them on the tester.  One said too weak to test the other right away tested bad.  He started to say come back in an hour after this one is tested, but stopped himself as I was looking at another battery that was recently returned.  I said, "hey, is it just a coincidence that this battery here is identical in every way to mine including the date code sticker of aug 2016".  As soon as he saw that, he said I'll just give you two new ones.  Was there a bad batch of Bosche 1000 cranking amp batteries made that month?  Bought a battery last summer for one of my Triumphs and that thing went bad inside of 2 months.  Can't remember last time I got more than 4 to 5 years out of a battery.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/19 9:15 a.m.

I don't remember ever getting more than 3 to 4 years out of a battery and I have been driving since 1973.

TR7
TR7 Reader
1/23/19 10:17 a.m.

I have been having terrible luck with specifically Bosch batteries as of late. I bought them for 3 cars 2 years ago, and I am down to one good battery. They wont even let me return them anymore. I usually get much longer than 3 to 4 years out of a battery, especially when paying more for the higher end manufacturers. The Bosch has been a disappointment here. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/19 10:21 a.m.

We (me and my family/ladies family) get 5-7 years out of Rural King batteries. The set in my old truck are 8 years old in it now and still in it. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/23/19 10:58 a.m.

We're gonna need the general area of where you live, and if you leave your car outside or park it in a garage.

While manufacturer quality is a big deal, temperature variations is what really affect batteries- have you considered a tender?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/19 11:36 a.m.

I think Im going to start buying Kubota batteries for everything.  The one in our tractor is 8 years old, has never been on a charger, and starts it in below freezing temps when it hasnt been plugged in*

*except for a couple times in Michigan when it was well below 0 and I forgot to put extra snake oil in the fuel and it gelled.  The tractor cranked though. 

joeg1982
joeg1982 New Reader
1/23/19 11:39 a.m.

My experience in Western NY (snow belt/can get real cold)--chevy Duramax--original batteries were changed for new AC Delcos after 11 years (and they were not weak; just felt I had to do it).  The new Delcos lasted a year.  Changed to an off brand blem and those also lasted a year or so.  Then went for some Autozones.  They went bad too in a year.  For the last set, I decided to get a super-jump pack that could start it in the cold (a NOCO Genius).  Works great.  I will also put the batteries on a charger from time to time. As long as they accept a charge, I am not going to change them.  Except for that original set that came new with the truck, everything else has been pretty lousy battery-wise.

A plug-in trickle is likely the only 100% solution for WNY winters.  The truck is not driven much.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/23/19 11:39 a.m.

I haven't had a battery failure in I don't know when.    My KJ went 8 yrs. and my Fiesta 5. Both were working fine when I traded vehicles.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/23/19 12:17 p.m.

Switch to Interstate batteries. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
1/23/19 12:30 p.m.
dculberson said:

Why?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/23/19 12:41 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:
dculberson said:

Why?

Agreed on the why.  Most Interstates are just average Johnson Controls batteries.  Not bad, but nothing special either.  Personally, I prefer East Penn made batteries (Deka, Duracell, West Marine house brand) to anything from Johnson Controls or Exide.  Beyond that, for good suppliers that are more expensive, you have Odyssey, Northstar (also sold as X2 Power at Batteries Plus), and then some suppliers that make good stuff but probably don't have the sizes most cars would use and are more focused on deep cycle applications anyway (Crown, Rolls, Trojan, Mastervolt).  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/23/19 12:50 p.m.

I just buy the biggest battery possible.

When it won't start my truck any more, I put it in one of my old Volvos.

When it won't start that anymore, I put it in my front loader.

When it won't start hat anymore, it goes in the lawn tractor.

When it finally won't start the lawn tractor, it gets used in the garage as a "test" battery for lights and stuff.

After awhile it gets pitched into the old battery pile, which gets recycled whenever lead prices spike on the scrap market.  

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
1/23/19 12:56 p.m.

We sell deka (parts plus) batteries and have found some cars for some reason just don’t like certain batteries. Idk why... some batteries we put in will last 6-12 months then we put a different version of the same battery in and it’ll last forever 

dont ask me to explain why

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/23/19 1:13 p.m.

I don't know what if any truth there is to this, seemed plausible.

We had a run of bad batteries at the dealer I worked at, I warrantied A LOT of batteries, and wasted even more time attempting to charge batteries that tested bad to adhere to the warranty process guidelines.  We eventually gave up on charging them, and I comped a lot of the proration left on the batteries just to keep customers happy. 

When I asked someone, I forget who now, but the were way farther up the food chain with corporate than little ole service advisor me, why we couldn't sell a new car with a battery that lasted more than 3 years?  There response was something along the lines of, "all new batteries suck."  He claimed there was no virgin lead used in battery manufacturing anymore, it was all recycled, and had been in who knows how many previous batteries before, and as such batteries, "just aren't as good as they used to be."

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
1/23/19 1:18 p.m.

3-5 years is about the life of a battery. Not sure what you are expecting/

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
1/23/19 1:22 p.m.

I have had very good luck with batteries, especially living in MA, A few years back I bought an older f150 off my fathers friend, the battery was 11 years old, from walmart. still tested good, started the truck everyday. drove the truck 6 or 8 months and sold it with that battery in it still.

No Time
No Time Dork
1/23/19 1:44 p.m.

I’m not sure who makes batteries for Hyundai or Kia, but mine held up well in Mass. 

The Kia lasted 7 years before it wouldn’t start the Sedona on really cold mornings and was replaced last winter. The Elantra battery started getting sluggish after 7 years and I replaced it preemptively about 10 days ago so I didn’t get stranded. 

I replaced both with Interstate battery since they have a local store. 

Even back in the 90’s batteries wouldn’t  last more than 3-4 years in my GMC with a 6.2 diesel. I think the high draw for glow plugs and cranking was harder on the batteries than a gas engine, even with dual 1000cca batteries. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/19 1:56 p.m.

i recently pulled the battery from my explorer and it had an 08 build date on it, pretty impressive

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/23/19 2:01 p.m.

I would also like to know why OEM batteries can last for years, but replacements (even if "OEM" bought from a dealer) tend to be crap? 

I used to swear by Bosch batteries, but I read they changed the manufacturing source a few years ago.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
1/23/19 2:14 p.m.

The battery in my Grand Marquis has a 2012 sticker on it. A year ago it failed to crank for some reason, and I jumped it and drove it to work thinking I'd just get a new one. But then it worked fine so I ignored it. It still cranks even in sub zero temps.

So far most of my "battery" problems in cars have turned out to be something other than the battery.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/23/19 2:19 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:
dculberson said:

Why?

I have always had great luck with Interstate batteries that’s all. Autozone, Napa, advance auto batteries all last ~3 years. Interstate I can get 7 out of them without even trying. 

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
1/23/19 2:20 p.m.

Truth is, most batteries are made from one of about 3 manufacturers.  I work at Volvo in the parts depo, I get batteries from interstate, with a Volvo sticker on them.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/23/19 2:59 p.m.

Another vote here for Interstate Batteries. Got 7 years out of my last one.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/19 2:59 p.m.

I second the big recommendation for things that aren't track toys and will add, as unpopular as it may be, AGM. Jumpers to a good battery, plus trickle charger to the AGM (then remove the jumpers after about 10 minutes) and my 13 year old AGMs stay kicking. I also clean the terminals every few months 

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
1/23/19 3:15 p.m.

I had to get a Walmart's EverStart battery when my alternator died while out of town and in a hurry. That was 6 years ago, still going strong. (Jinxing myself) It replaced a 7 year old Interstate that had been doing fine. NAPA golds are not worth carrying to the car. ACDelco have been OK.

I generally get about six years minimum, 11 with abused Optima AGM's.

As I understand it, heat is what kills batteries, they just don't die until it's cold.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kvy5VAl4VZ2aTeSZ1jANYJmxqYr6VvKbmpvIliN4X6usux1c2gPQOcslTbhazhWq