jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/9/12 5:20 p.m.

So I am selling my college car and even though I know I am making the right decision to sell my 2002 Civic with the D17 motor(that I bought brand new off the lot in 2002) instead of a more recently acquired Integra with its peppy B18B, it still hurts.

Not knowing much about motors at the time I had no idea the D17 was just a utilitarian bullet proof motor, and not a great tracker. I had no clue about Macpherson strut vs double wish bone. Instead I just knew it was honda and a 5 spd.

So with the short falls it has I put it on the chopping block because I already have a DD, a project, and a track car. Sucks to sell it. Thought maybe this was the only place anyone would understand.

Sorry guys this is a real private moment... that I have chosen to post on a public forum.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/9/12 5:31 p.m.

Because cars to most of us on this forum are more than mere transportation. It's a personal thing like a member of the family. Especially ones like your college car, or the one you went on your honeymoon in or brought home your first baby in. They represent memories and milestones in your life. It's a tough thing to do and I for one feel your pain.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/9/12 5:38 p.m.

Oh, just for the record my college car, also purchased new was a 1985 Honda CRX. And I also brought home my first child in it a year after graduation. I could get nearly 50 mpg on the highway in it. I still miss it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/9/12 5:41 p.m.

After 30+ cars in 14 years of driving, the only cars I miss are my 1990 TSi AWD since it was clean and built and you just don't see them any more, and my 1988 LSC, only because it was pimptastic.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/9/12 5:54 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: After 30+ cars in 14 years of driving, the only cars I miss are my 1990 TSi AWD since it was clean and built and you just don't see them any more, and my 1988 LSC, only because it was pimptastic.

I agree. I also have had many cars and not all hold sentimental value and some you are actually glad to see go. A faithful friend or milestone car..........that can be rough.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/9/12 6:57 p.m.

Faithful it has been. 162k miles and never complained.

On another note, I just posted it on craigslist and less than 10 min later I got a call. Sent it straight to voicemail! Lol.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/9/12 7:09 p.m.

Yeah, it's amazing how sometimes you can get attached to one. I always say that if my pet-loving friends can call their pets their "children", I can call my berkeleying cars my "pets".

corytate
corytate Dork
8/9/12 7:47 p.m.

I only miss my e28, my trooper, and I'm sure I'll miss this kia when it's gone.
It's taken me over 75k miles in the last two and a half years with virtually no trouble, and I am fond of it. The fact that it hasn't committed hari kari suggests the feeling is mutual=]

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
8/10/12 12:25 a.m.

i don't really "miss" cars.. they serve their purpose, and they get replaced with something else...

the closest i come to getting emotional is over my 71 Nova- i miss the power and the handling, but i don't really "miss" the car and didn't lose any sleep when i traded it off after 5 years, at least $16k in upgrades, and countless hours spent working on it and 25,000 miles of driving it..

i do sometimes wish i could track down the guy that bought my dad's '30 Model A 5 window street rod from me when i was 12, but i never really got to drive that car and i really only miss it because it was built by my dad in the 60's and it was one of the few things that i had left of his when he died when i was 9..

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/10/12 12:34 a.m.

I miss a lot of cars...I don't always regret it since the sale of them allowed me to experience other cars but it still hurts.

My list of most missed:

67 MG Midget
02 Subaru WRX
00 Suzuki SV650

and the 91 Miata...My first one and rusted away but it still holds fond memories.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/10/12 6:16 a.m.

There have been a few I missed. On the flip side, there are quite a few cars I amhappy to have out of my life.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/10/12 6:19 a.m.

I kept my 1 car and it still runs, needs restored though. 79 Malibu. Got it in 87

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/10/12 7:48 a.m.
stan_d wrote: I kept my 1 car and it still runs, needs restored though. 79 Malibu. Got it in 87

an old Bu is on my bucket list of cars to own. Really wanting to throw an Lq4 or Lq9 into one and just cruise.

This being my inspiration: http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/28373011/1004phr_61_o+1980_chevy_malibu_classic+homebuilt_muscle.jpg

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/10/12 8:58 a.m.

The way I look at most common cars is I can replace them when I get the jones for another (thus having owned 4 miatas) so I feel no sorrow in selling them.

I do get some pangs when I sell on a rare one that I have no time for but would like to get to someday (like the 68 Toyota crown I sold in the spring or the 53 Studebaker truck I'm debating keeping right now)

The hard ones are the ones I know I can never replace and which I've put the most effort and customization into like the Wartburg and the Yugo (which is the only car I've ever bought back)

Over 120 cars bought and sold now, very little sorrow with most of them though.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/10/12 9:15 a.m.

I miss some cars more than others. The ones I miss the most seem to be the ones that were replaced by cars (or a truck) that disappointed me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4DAndV7HCviJAzO24xIYDP8fXh5GBgc7EbSOt8Butx4vCzxBTmMjcpRrUeMVTXaf