MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/3/15 1:16 a.m.

In my travels on the internet, this seems to be the "rule" for some reason. I'm picking on the NC for example, but I've seen this argument used to rice-justify a number of boring 4cyl engines being better than the F20C.

Look at this dyno plot (rev range is 3500-7000):

We can see that the NC and the S2000 are pretty evenly matched for torque (at least until VTEC goes into high lift). Both cars are geared about the same. Is it because the S2000 is ~300lbs heavier? Maybe because the high lift range is so strong it makes the low end seem weak? Help me understand this GRM.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/15 7:31 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Maybe because the high lift range is so strong it makes the low end seem weak? Help me understand this GRM.

Bingo. We see the same thing in big turbo cars - they'll actually make more power than a smaller turbo throughout the range, but because they're so spectacular up top the bottom end seems awfully weak.

Also, the NC isn't exactly an example of a torquey car. Compare the S2000 against another car with similar peak power (at a lower rpm) and greater displacement, I suspect you'll see a difference in torque.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/15 8:41 a.m.

Yep, it's pure perception.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/3/15 8:52 a.m.

Because butt dynos are usually terribly calibrated

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/3/15 9:05 a.m.

Because the S2000 has a great high end and the Miata does not.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/15 9:08 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Because the S2000 has a great high end and the Miata does not.

LOL!

Flawless reply.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/3/15 10:46 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Also, the NC isn't exactly an example of a torquey car. Compare the S2000 against another car with similar peak power (at a lower rpm) and greater displacement, I suspect you'll see a difference in torque.

So a newer S2000 then?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/3/15 10:53 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Yep, it's pure perception.
bravenrace wrote: Because the S2000 has a great high end and the Miata does not.

Truths

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/3/15 12:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
LOL! Flawless reply.

OFT helps about a bit with that!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/3/15 12:47 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Maybe because the high lift range is so strong it makes the low end seem weak? Help me understand this GRM.

That one.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
4/3/15 1:13 p.m.

When I $sold these (& Insights, too! Two of my dearest loves at the same time!) I always started out thinking "This is a nippy little gem." then "Holy BERK!!".

When the Vtechs (yo) kicked in it sounded like the angriest Tsunami-powered sewing-machine in the world was jumping through the firewall and trying to sew your shiny happy person shut. Love those things, they are like Godzilla's go-kart.

In the words of JPM: "Oh, deer."

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/15 1:25 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Also, the NC isn't exactly an example of a torquey car. Compare the S2000 against another car with similar peak power (at a lower rpm) and greater displacement, I suspect you'll see a difference in torque.
So a newer S2000 then?

And why do you think that Honda did that?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eQeDeRvEHQPgMBbW5WLIJqsNCpekLXDgpd9prvUfRseC9qCAf3b5HVVALxIEFPoW