1 2 3
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/20/15 7:33 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/20/15 7:40 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Those things aren't crash tested. No way I'm putting my kids in a car with unknown and potentially dubious safety.
No rv trips for you! What else isn't crash tested? Has to be a bunch of stuff. Motorcycles, atvs, utvs, boats.... All the fun stuff. Hmm are ambulances crash tested?

I see your point, but I own none of this fun things and never have. My dad sells insurance. I get to hear all about how my desire to do racing increases my costs and likely hood of death.

Back to topic. Stretch limo builders do not have to prove that their modifications are safe(some are great coach builders some are hacks). You figure it out and strap your kids into it. If I built it, I know it would be safe. If jimmy in east Rutherford builds it. Ehhhh. Driving around every day is very dangerous compared to bus/train/plane travel and is probably the largest daily risk anyone of us do on a daily basis. Are you going to tell me that your going to strap your kids into something that isn't as safe as possible for that trip.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/20/15 8:12 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Cotton wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Those things aren't crash tested. No way I'm putting my kids in a car with unknown and potentially dubious safety.
No rv trips for you! What else isn't crash tested? Has to be a bunch of stuff. Motorcycles, atvs, utvs, boats.... All the fun stuff. Hmm are ambulances crash tested?
I see your point, but I own none of this fun things and never have. My dad sells insurance. I get to hear all about how my desire to do racing increases my costs and likely hood of death. Back to topic. Stretch limo builders do not have to prove that their modifications are safe(some are great coach builders some are hacks). You figure it out and strap your kids into it. If I built it, I know it would be safe. If jimmy in east Rutherford builds it. Ehhhh. Driving around every day is very dangerous compared to bus/train/plane travel and is probably the largest daily risk anyone of us do on a daily basis. Are you going to tell me that your going to strap your kids into something that isn't as safe as possible for that trip.

I got lucky because my grandmother didn't let my Dad do the fun stuff and he felt like he missed out, so we got to do all the fun stuff. We had go carts, ATVs, I got my first dirtbike at 8 years old, and we did a lot of boating. Sure I wrecked and was injured, but I had a hell of a time. I got my MC license at 14 and have been riding ever since, now 37, so I'm very happy my Dad let me do those things when I was younger.

As for kids, we don't have any by choice and to be honest, after 10 years of marriage, still don't want any, so I do not see kids in our future ever. However, I'd like to think if we did I'd be like my Dad and let them have some fun. Does that mean taking them for rides in my 60 Beetle or 55 Chevy wagon, even though they aren't the safest vehicles on the road by a massive margin? You bet. Do I drive those every day? No, my DD is my k1300s, but even if I had kids I'll be completely honest and say I wouldn't pick my DD based on it's crash rating. In my mind life is just too short to drive a boring appliance. I see and understand if others want to go that route, but it just isn't for me. A limo could be fun though..

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/20/15 8:30 a.m.

I gave it pretty serious thought back when I was shopping for a family truckster (settled on the burban instead). Big selling point for me was the divider I could roll up on road trips and listen to my music while kids did the movie thing in the back. Parking would get old after a while though....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/20/15 9:20 a.m.

Back in the early '70s there was a very large Hasidic family in my town, and their normal car was a black Checker Marathon wagon airport limousine. It used to be awesome to see them putting around in their suits, with all the little well-dressed mini-me kids in the back. Like this without the tint and pimptastic whitewalls:

former520
former520 Reader
2/20/15 9:32 a.m.

I worked with a guy in the 90's who had one mid 80's Lincoln Limo as a daily driver. He had a few DUI's and found he had less trouble with being in a limo, plus he could crawl in back and sleep in it as well. More oddly, he loved to fish and used it as his RV for fishing trips as well.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/20/15 9:43 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: BTW, if you ever want to start a fight really fast, try to teach your wife to tow and back up a trailer.

QFT oh so very True. I still have flash backs to the first time SWMBO jumped into the drivers seat and said want to drive with the trailer attached.

I would think a funeral limo would be both more practical for a family than a stretch limo. Also must less likely to be icky-fied by potential party in the back leftovers. I have tried to sell my friend with 4 girls on it but he hasn't fallen for it yet. Just think you could drive your own daughter to prom. No hanky panky going on.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/20/15 10:12 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Are you going to tell me that your going to strap your kids into something that isn't as safe as possible for that trip.

I put my kid in this when he was growing up:

Not exactly a 5 star crash rating car.

And his first car was a '79 Chevy hot rod stepside pickup with no airbags, only lap belts and probably a pretty poor crash rating, too.

I grew up with MGs and Renaults and '60s falcons and I survived.

And the whole family went camping in this just a few years ago:

I KNOW the crash rating on that sucked. You have the right to your opinion However, I'm not going to go though life being a Bob Costas.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/20/15 10:14 a.m.
LopRacer wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: BTW, if you ever want to start a fight really fast, try to teach your wife to tow and back up a trailer.
QFT oh so very True. I still have flash backs to the first time SWMBO jumped into the drivers seat and said want to drive with the trailer attached.

hahaha. I have my wife back the truck up to the trailer while I guide her, and it works out well, but the one time I tried to help her back the trailer to it's spot in the driveway down our street... well, it wasn't our finest moment together, that's for sure.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/20/15 10:26 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: However, I'm not going to go though life being a Bob Costas.

I've been in a port a potty barefoot. I could call you a bob costas for not doing so.... See.. this is stupid.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
2/20/15 10:49 a.m.

Family I knew in high school had 5 kids or something like that. Dad was a fairly successful lawyer and they lived on a small estate. They had an old Cadillac Fleetwood limo that they used sometimes (he drove it, not a Chauffeur). The main issue is that it's hard to take some places because they don't fit in a normal parking spot. I imagine maintenance could be an issue sometimes as they may not fit on a normal lift. Also, some of the custom interior pieces may be unobtainium on an out of production limo.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/20/15 11:22 a.m.
I've been in a port a potty barefoot. I could call you a bob costas for not doing so....

How do you know I haven't? (I have, BTW)

Fueled by Caffeine
2/20/15 12:58 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
I've been in a port a potty barefoot. I could call you a bob costas for not doing so....
How do you know I haven't? (I have, BTW)

Good talk.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/20/15 1:09 p.m.
I've been in a port a potty barefoot. I could call you a bob costas for not doing so.... See.. this is stupid.

Stupid indeed.

There is a difference in taking a trip in an RV, or going for a ride in a classic, than daily driving a vehicle every day. Also a difference in doing it in Seattle than Chattanooga.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/20/15 4:04 p.m.

My experience driving and working on limos tells me that they are a novelty that wears off QUICKLY. Driving them is not so bad, but they are not safe, not particularly well built, annoying to repair (especially as far as poor wiring for all the doodads), pretty inefficient, and not really capable of carrying any more people than a minivan.

Normally i am ok with owning things purely for novelty but after my brief experiences i have no more desire to own a 'real limo'. I'd way rather have a conversion van.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/20/15 5:03 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Stupid indeed. There is a difference in taking a trip in an RV, or going for a ride in a classic, than daily driving a vehicle every day. Also a difference in doing it in Seattle than Chattanooga.

Your chances are about the same either way. And I dailied that Fiat. And the kid rode in it quite often, and even learned to drive stick in it when he was 14. I'm not going to let fear of crashes rule my life. And guess what? Everything was fine. Fueled was incredulous that anyone would let their kids be in anything other than the newest/safest of the safe and that's just a really silly complaint ESPECIALLY on a forum full of car guys that daily cheap old cars and have families daily drive and ride in cheap old cars.

So, yes, his response was stupid.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/20/15 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Ummm... no.

I didn't get that at all.

Fueled simply said that he didn't want one for HIS kids, and that they were unsafe. He didn't tell you what to drive, and he didn't call you a Bob Costas.

I'm not sure you can compare it to a Fiat. There's something about a car that has been cut in half, then welded back together by a jackleg welder with a gaping hole in both sides...

...I'll take the Fiat, Thank you.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/20/15 5:15 p.m.

Back on topic, and off Bob Costass...

I wouldn't want them, because my wife has enough trouble maneuvering a minivan. I have no desire to try to pay for the damages incurred with her trying to parallel park a freight train.

And, she wouldn't be caught dead in one. No way, no how.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 5:47 p.m.

I would want one of the executive Lincoln Town Cars those look cool!!!! Not a fan of the limo unless it was a stretch Excursion or expedition or something. I mean if I am going to be really long I want to be tall also.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/20/15 5:54 p.m.
Vigo wrote: My experience driving and working on limos tells me that they are a novelty that wears off QUICKLY. Driving them is not so bad, but they are not safe, not particularly well built, annoying to repair (especially as far as poor wiring for all the doodads), pretty inefficient, and not really capable of carrying any more people than a minivan. Normally i am ok with owning things purely for novelty but after my brief experiences i have no more desire to own a 'real limo'. I'd way rather have a conversion van.

Do you still have the k car limo? If you're done with it I'm interested.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/20/15 5:58 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Chris_V: Ummm... no. I didn't get that at all. Fueled simply said that he didn't want one for HIS kids, and that they were unsafe. He didn't tell you what to drive, and he didn't call you a Bob Costas. I'm not sure you can compare it to a Fiat. There's something about a car that has been cut in half, then welded back together by a jackleg welder with a gaping hole in both sides... ...I'll take the Fiat, Thank you.

Thank you for finally getting it.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
2/20/15 6:15 p.m.

I had a guy in high school who's family did this. They bought them from funeral homes, so you don't worry about the ickiness

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/20/15 6:20 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Chris_V: Ummm... no. I didn't get that at all. Fueled simply said that he didn't want one for HIS kids, and that they were unsafe. He didn't tell you what to drive, and he didn't call you a Bob Costas. I'm not sure you can compare it to a Fiat. There's something about a car that has been cut in half, then welded back together by a jackleg welder with a gaping hole in both sides... ...I'll take the Fiat, Thank you.

I'd pick the limo, so we need a tie breaker. (E36 M3 just got real)

Fueled by Caffeine
2/20/15 6:28 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
I'd pick the limo, so we need a tie breaker. (E36 M3 just got real)

I'd pick the fiat. except find a motor without those stupid cam pucks... maybe an LSX!!!!!!!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
2/20/15 7:49 p.m.

So what's the construction difference ina 10 inch stretch limo like this?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F0RkSHXidNLf03gnhy97n73viHH6PQSEMBJDefVprvUDnHp5c7URadWu7jowx60o