1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/24 11:14 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to mainlandboy :

Man the 1M was way cool. Prices seem to be in the $70,000-$100,000 range depending on mileage–though Hagerty shows values as low as $36,000:

A $36k car in "fair" condition is not one I would want to buy.

135i are cheap in comparison, and have less unicornium.  Not free of it, just less.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/6/24 10:04 a.m.

If you can find any M1 at $36,400, heck, even at $82k, you should buy it.

Not sure where Hagerty is coming up with those figures.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/6/24 10:09 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

A $36k car in "fair" condition is not one I would want to buy.

Agreed.

135i are cheap in comparison, and have less unicornium.  Not free of it, just less.

Agreed x2.

I've also heard good things about the 128i. Realistically, that's probably as much car/engine/power as I'd need.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 10:16 a.m.
ShawnG said:

If you can find any M1 at $36,400, heck, even at $82k, you should buy it.

Not sure where Hagerty is coming up with those figures.

There's some mixing up of 1M and M1. Not the same :)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/6/24 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Lol. 

You're correct. Should have finished my coffee first.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/6/24 1:43 p.m.

Years ago, I picked up an old issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Magazine and saw this article: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/ride-like-the-wind-1980-bmw-m1

Written by my now-friend Craig Fitzgerald (strange how that happens, small world!), it covers this car you see here:

That's how I learned that Yacht Rock master Christopher Cross bought two of these cars - one to drive around town and one to race with a racing partner - and this was one of them. After he made it big with his eponymous self-titled album in very-late 1979, he used part of his earnings to buy these cars. Years later, this one ended up in the hands of a private collector in New England, and I've seen it in person a few times at different Boston-area shows. It's absolutely stunning and by far still my favorite M-car of them all. I have a bunch of pics I took of the thing that I need to dig up. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/24 1:36 a.m.
adam525i said:

Marcus Glarner Motorsports has a PROCAR up here, hearing that thing leave Moss corner at Mosport and wail all the way up the Andretti straight is awesome.

The last time I was at his shop, he had TWO of them LOL

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2IqeUDGVF02xnfytKj5dZ2jPbvBt0TLOJmFTP3HZuosYsT8otr6Ln9ty9cy7zcbT