1 2 3 4 5
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/15/13 5:48 a.m.

A very good friend of mine has been a H-D worshiper since birth, because his dad is a true-blood, old school biker badass. But, he runs mufflers and rides an old Honda for cross town jaunts.

And then there is the guy formerly known as Foxtrapper, now known as Concussionman.

I met one guy for an insurance claim who was H-D to the core, but he was a real rider. Thought H-D's were overpriced and said he wouldn't buy any more new ones, just keep the one he had. Super nice guy; even had nice things to say about the KLR I used to have.

So that's three people out of the endless number of H-D riders I've met that aren't compete douchebags. Not a good ratio.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
9/15/13 6:36 a.m.

Dude came into my store last night on a HD with a HD flag on the back. He's comes inside and he's got a HD bandana, HD leather jacket, HD tshirt, HD belt buckle and HD boots. He buys 2 quarts of oil (lulz), pulls out a HD wallet and hands me a HD credit card.

I asked him if he liked Harley's, and he said 'its a way of life'. More lulz were had.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 7:17 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Dude came into my store last night on a HD with a HD flag on the back. He's comes inside and he's got a HD bandana, HD leather jacket, HD tshirt, HD belt buckle and HD boots. He buys 2 quarts of oil (lulz), pulls out a HD wallet and hands me a HD credit card. I asked him if he liked Harley's, and he said 'its a way of life'. More lulz were had.

In his defense, this could easily have happened:

Kid1: "Hey, Mom, what does Dad want for Christmas?"
Mom: "You know he loves harley davidson stuff.
Mom: "You could get him something to wear when he rides his bike."
Kid1: "I'll get him that Harley shirt that we saw...."
Kid2: "Not fair, I was going to get him that shirt!!!!!"
Mom: "You could get him the bandana and belt buckle...."

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
9/15/13 7:29 a.m.

Anyone else notice the accountant portion of the HD crowd is now riding with earplugs in? So, let me get this straight. Your bike is so loud you need earplugs, but its fine for everyone else in traffic and the surrounding neighborhoods?

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/15/13 7:38 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: Anyone else notice the accountant portion of the HD crowd is now riding with earplugs in? So, let me get this straight. Your bike is so loud you need earplugs, but its fine for everyone else in traffic and the surrounding neighborhoods?

I see where you're going with that, but even on a quiet bike ear plugs can be useful to help with wind noise at speed and such.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank HalfDork
9/15/13 7:56 a.m.

I know a man that is almost completely deaf. He rides a bike... (Not a Harley). He has huge hearing aides. Even he says its good to be deaf when riding because of the wind in his helmet.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
9/15/13 8:16 a.m.
BAMF wrote: I see where you're going with that, but even on a quiet bike ear plugs can be useful to help with wind noise at speed and such.

Yep, my GS500F was about as quiet as bikes get, and I didn't like riding it without earplugs. The wind noise got annoying.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/15/13 9:05 a.m.

I waffle on earplugs. Yes, wind noise is a problem, and depending on the bike and helmet are a heck of a problem. But, blocking out noise that contains subtle clues that help keep me alive, I do not like.

That said, riding the old xl500 calls for ear plug above about 40mph. I can't hear anything but the wind then, and I'm going to be hearing it and shouting for days afterwards.

Riding the harley, and I don't need them. The bike is very quiet and with that barn door sized windshield, there is almost no wind roaring in my ears. The miata with the top down is far louder

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
9/15/13 9:15 a.m.

My favorite "loud pipes save lives moment" happened about 20 years ago. I was driving a 71' vw super beetle that had a header and an unmuffled megaphone exhaust. you know the Baja style one that sticks 1.5' straight out the back. Anyway a buddy and I were on our way to the parts store going up a long hill in second gear, and yep a "Harley" guy was behind me, drag pipes and all. On the one long straight section he rolls on the gas and passes me. This is a 25mph two lane residential road mind you. And as he is passing me he flips me off. My buddy and I damned near pi$$ed our pants we laughed so hard. I had managed to give a drag pipe douchnozel some of his own medicine Still a bit proud of that to this day.

I have ridden bikes both on and off road for decades. Love them all, just prefer them on the quitter side nowadays. Quite ones don't offend, nor do they draw the unwanted attention of Johnny Law!

Ride safe

Paul

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/13 9:18 a.m.

In reply to paulmpetrun:

That could have been better only if it had been a rotary!

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/15/13 9:27 a.m.

I can't hear anything but wind above 40 or so. I haven't tried earplugs yet but honestly I spend all my time tooling around on some very awesome, very local and very twisty back roads and rarely get over 45 or 50 in anything but short bursts.

OH, and Kenny,

I would have a hard time choosing the Ducati over one of these

I guess I like things that "idle like an old tractor and isnt built on engineering that was a poor compromise since the 20s."

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/15/13 9:29 a.m.

What is sorta sad with the whole HD thing is that all those owners project an image that becomes synonymous with the bikes. So if that image doesn't appeal to you, you won't get the bikes.

I know it's the case for me and one of my friends. I like HD's because I see them as the Morgans of the bike world. 30's tech and feel that's been slightly modernized. It's the kind of bike I would really enjoy, because I like vintage machinery. But instead, I look at Royal Enfields and CJ750's because I don't want to be associated with the average HD riders and I don't want to pay the HD's fashion tax.

My friend is older than me, and he too would like a HD. He can even afford to pay the HD tax. But he feel's that he's too young (he's 54 years old) to ride a HD, and he doesn't want to be associated with the HD crowd as well. So he rides a Vulcan 1500.

It sucks when a brand becomes a victim of its success and becomes a caricature of itself.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/15/13 9:49 a.m.
ncjay wrote: To me, the most ridiculous aspect of the "biker lifestyle" and showing your independence is the fact that apparently they all have to dress alike and look alike. That'll show "the man" just how much of an individual you are. Putz.

I love you for this statement!

I had a guy on a Harley downshift at the corner by my house then rev the E36-M3 out of it and fly by my house very predictably every damn day. I have three kids including a baby that naps at that time. He'd do the reverse going home late at night too.

One afternoon, out in the front yard I heard him coming. I made it out to the edge of the street and flipped him off and gave him a BLEEP YOU... I swear my middle finger was two feet from his face.

He never drove by again to my knowledge and its September of the next year, still haven't seen him go by.

Of course he could've died from a heart attack or a stroke by now.

...and DO NOT GET ME STARTED ABOUT THE IRONY OF THE "TOUGH GUYS" IN MOTORCYCLE GANGS!

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/15/13 11:29 a.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Besides the BMW riders the Harley guys put the most miles on their bikes. I've met people who put tons of miles on their Harleys over 100k miles in some cases. I think if it gets you all pissed off, the harley riders are doing it right and paying it forward. I personally pay it forward so when I have a car cut me off or something I know it is just karma coming back at me.

Brings up an interesting point that while BMW car drivers are seen as the ultimate douchebags, BMW bike riders are opposite of that. We have a lot of them in this area (DC). They all seem to ride with traffic, obey traffic laws, have very quiet bikes (always with a good muffler), and wear full safety gear (as well as usually a neon yellow vest). I guess that's the BMW bike "scene" but I have never in my life said to myself "damn this guy on the (BMW) bike is annoying or an shiny happy person."

I can definitely say that about half of the HDs and crotch-rockets out there.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/15/13 11:44 a.m.

Also, a guy at my work has the F150 HD model that he drives "on nice days." Not only does it have all the stock HD accoutrements on it, but he has a HD tie that he wears with his suit (he is a comptroller, of all things), and the truck has 4 or 5 additional HD stickers proclaiming various local clubs or dealers on it.

I have no idea if he actually has an HD bike or not, but on "not nice days" he drives an Accord to work. I've never seen him arrive on a bike, and he only lives about 10 miles from the office.....

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
9/15/13 11:54 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Besides the BMW riders the Harley guys put the most miles on their bikes. I've met people who put tons of miles on their Harleys over 100k miles in some cases. I think if it gets you all pissed off, the harley riders are doing it right and paying it forward. I personally pay it forward so when I have a car cut me off or something I know it is just karma coming back at me.
Brings up an interesting point that while BMW car drivers are seen as the ultimate douchebags, BMW bike riders are opposite of that. We have a lot of them in this area (DC). They all seem to ride with traffic, obey traffic laws, have very quiet bikes (always with a good muffler), and wear full safety gear (as well as usually a neon yellow vest). I guess that's the BMW bike "scene" but I have never in my life said to myself "damn this guy on the (BMW) bike is annoying or an shiny happy person." I can definitely say that about half of the HDs and crotch-rockets out there.

Agree with this 100%. There was a regional BMW motorcycle gathering in the town my wife and I were staying at during our honeymoon (disclaimer, this was a while ago). There were hundreds, if not thousands of them in a small town. No stupidity, no blocking traffic, wheelies, no obnoxious revving. In fact, just a bunch of really nice bikes that sounded like a well oiled sewing machines puttering down the road. Their presence in town actually made it more enjoyable. Perhaps its the fact that there's no "image" that goes along with BMW bikes.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/13 11:57 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I had a guy on a Harley downshift at the corner by my house then rev the E36-M3 out of it and fly by my house very predictably every damn day. I have three kids including a baby that naps at that time. He'd do the reverse going home late at night too. One afternoon, out in the front yard I heard him coming. I made it out to the edge of the street and flipped him off and gave him a BLEEP YOU... I swear my middle finger was two feet from his face. He never drove by again to my knowledge and its September of the next year, still haven't seen him go by.

I love this. At our old house my then 6mos old son would always have trouble napping. As soon as I put him down a group of HD Dbags would end up stopped at the light in front our house, with their no muffler POS's. They would sit their waiting for the light to change, barely idling, echo off my windows, blipping the throttle, etc. When the light would change they all left in a manner that maximized the noise. Of course it would get him up. Even worse was when they were heading back from the bars at 2 .m. and get caught the light. I would say 99% of HD riders are giant Dbags that don't have a clue. To bad they have ruined what could be a pretty cool piece of machinery.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
9/15/13 12:00 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: Dude came into my store last night on a HD with a HD flag on the back. He's comes inside and he's got a HD bandana, HD leather jacket, HD tshirt, HD belt buckle and HD boots. He buys 2 quarts of oil (lulz), pulls out a HD wallet and hands me a HD credit card. I asked him if he liked Harley's, and he said 'its a way of life'. More lulz were had.
In his defense, this could easily have happened: Kid1: "Hey, Mom, what does Dad want for Christmas?" Mom: "You know he loves harley davidson stuff. Mom: "You could get him something to wear when he rides his bike." Kid1: "I'll get him that Harley shirt that we saw...." Kid2: "Not fair, I was going to get him that shirt!!!!!" Mom: "You could get him the bandana and belt buckle...."

This is exactly what my wife and MIL do to my FIL at every birthday, fathers day, Christmas....

He has the beach towels, the pins from every time we drive by a Dealership (kinda like hardrock cafe). The underwear, socks... toothbrush... toilet paper.... whatever...

All this because the guy who can barely walk due to bad knee replacements wanted to go for an afternoon ride on a HD Astroglide... or whatever...

His complacency in all of this lands him a good portion of the blame.. but still....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/15/13 12:55 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I can't hear anything but wind above 40 or so. I haven't tried earplugs yet but honestly I spend all my time tooling around on some very awesome, very local and very twisty back roads and rarely get over 45 or 50 in anything but short bursts. OH, and Kenny, I would have a hard time choosing the Ducati over one of these I guess I like things that "idle like an old tractor and isnt built on engineering that was a poor compromise since the 20s."

Its ok, I have an Italian crapcan built by communists with an engine designed by a old Ferrari engineer in the 60s.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/15/13 1:11 p.m.
ronholm wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
In his defense, this could easily have happened: Kid1: "Hey, Mom, what does Dad want for Christmas?" Mom: "You know he loves harley davidson stuff. Mom: "You could get him something to wear when he rides his bike." Kid1: "I'll get him that Harley shirt that we saw...." Kid2: "Not fair, I was going to get him that shirt!!!!!" Mom: "You could get him the bandana and belt buckle...."
This is exactly what my wife and MIL do to my FIL at every birthday, fathers day, Christmas.... He has the beach towels, the pins from every time we drive by a Dealership (kinda like hardrock cafe). The underwear, socks... toothbrush... toilet paper.... whatever...

I'm guilty of that. My brother-in-law has a sportster. Any time gift giving season rolls around, my go-to response is "does he have a clock like that?"

ronholm wrote: All this because the guy who can barely walk due to bad knee replacements wanted to go for an afternoon ride on a HD Astroglide... or whatever...

Worst name for a bike EVER. Always reminds me of this

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/15/13 2:02 p.m.

i grew up with some real old school hardcore "bikers".. they were just a bunch of drug dealing gang banging dirtballs that spent all their spare time trying to keep their POS beat up old Harleys on the road so they could get to wherever the party was on any given friday or saturday night and they didn't drive around calling attention to themselves.. they just did their own thing on the fringes of "polite" society and tried not to attract too much attention to themselves..

most of them kept their bikes in their living rooms during the winter- usually in pieces..

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/15/13 2:03 p.m.

oh, yeah... this seems like a good place to post this again:

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/15/13 2:59 p.m.

This is probably the fourth or fith time that I've recounted this HD rider story in a GRM forum discussion, so I'm going with the extra short version.

One fine day, while riding my nice clean original condition Yamaha RD350, a Village People-esque dressed HD ridder on a 1200 sportster with purple metal flake paint and drag pipes pulls up next to me at a stop light, looks over at me and laughs. So give him hand signals indicating "wanna race", he laughingly nods his head, put the sportster in gear and opens up the throttle to extra loud rpm. The light changed, I let him launch first to make sure he was playing along, then WHAM, me and the little yamaha left the sportster dude in a cloud of tire and two stroke smoke. After a couple of short blocks I eased off and looked give the dude a wave as I let him by. The HD ridder tough guy was starring straight ahead with a massively PO'd look on his face, and rode on by not even acknowledging my existence

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/15/13 3:38 p.m.

Let's do some good from this thread. Can a Harley owner give me a few bits of information.

I need the top speeds in the first 3 gears and the rpms when cruising at about 70 in 6th gear.

I have an all but new S & S engine & 6 speed transmission.

I'm determined to make a BEC out of the engine, but didn't want to use the transmission (6 speed). One of the biker shops has been trying to convince me that since the clutch & tranny can survive a Full Dresser it ought to be able to handle a BEC.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/15/13 3:53 p.m.

What's a BEC?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RcZkNVPeJBYGowEs0P34dwOFM8bsZPdJSQHmJ0y8eRk87kNSmdHz3xbkRoYyY7pb