1 2
GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/2/13 12:10 a.m.

I was going to bite the bullet and buy new head lights for the Town Car. Then the $200 to replace made me rethink that Idea. Looking at the sale paper today saw HF had there headlight lens repair kit on sale. So what the heck ill try it.

photo 20130901_151857_zps4ec9cf09.jpg

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/2/13 12:14 a.m.

Wow! I saw the same kit and wondered....I'm probably going to try it, too.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/13 12:15 a.m.

Helpful hint: use toothpaste instead.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/2/13 12:27 a.m.

I have brought plastic headlights back from the abyss!! In general, the more effort you put into it, the better it comes out. Most of the kits only come with 2 or 3 different grits of sandpaper and won't get you anything better than a 'decent' result unless the headlight wasnt that bad to start with.

Most lights, if there is roughness you can feel with your fingers, i'll start all the way down at 400 grit. I'll spend the most time with 400, then wetsand through 1000, 1500, and 2000. Usually after 2000 you can go to polishing compound but i have used 2500 depending on whether or not i had any.

Generally the polishing step turns out better if you do it with some sort of high speed tool vs by hand. I've been borrowing 3" polishers and foam pads from a couple of close friends for that. Doing it by hand turns out ok, just takes longer.

The best stuff i've found to put on them as the last step comes in a silver baggie kit they sell at advanced auto. It keeps them nice for a good year or more. The ultimate option is to have someone spray automotive clear on them and then machine-polish that but that's pie in the sky for an afternoon project.

The SHORTEST process i've ever seen (also gave the crappiest results, but good enough to raise eyebrows) was to spray undiluted purple power on the headlights and rinse it off after a couple seconds. It will take most of the yellow off a yellowed lense and make them a little clearer in a matter of seconds.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/13 5:31 a.m.

Nice job.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/2/13 6:33 a.m.

I use the 3M kit and get great results.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
9/2/13 7:03 a.m.

http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-68784.html That's a lot of tool box for $400. I have one. Thank you HF

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/2/13 7:17 a.m.
stan_d wrote: I use the 3M kit and get great results.

Same here. I think I'll use the Purple Power idea though if I do another one that's really yellow. Maybe it'll knock 10 minutes off the process.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/2/13 8:30 a.m.

Flitz, rag, elbow grease, 10 minutes.

calteg
calteg Reader
9/2/13 9:27 a.m.

Next time you're at a large car show, grab a bunch of samples of a light cutting compound

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/2/13 9:47 a.m.

My favorite process is to do all the sanding, clean the surface up good, then apply about three coats of clear duplicolor wheel paint from an aerosol can.

good lasting results on 8 or 10 cars for around $10 total.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/2/13 9:56 a.m.
ncjay wrote: http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-68784.html Thats a lot of toolbox for $400. I have one. Thank you HF

LOL.

You guys are hilarious.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/2/13 11:17 a.m.

I think you missed the actual point of that sentence.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/2/13 12:51 p.m.

Magazines on a tool box eating up valuable work space... head hurt!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/2/13 1:08 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Magazines on a tool box eating up valuable work space... head hurt!

yeah, but if he had a big screen tv on the wall and a tiki themed bar taking up valuable floor space and a bunch of cheesy neon lights and "vintage" signs on the wall you'd be saying how awesome his man cave is...

Harbor Freight is a blight upon civilization, and i'm pretty sure that headlight restore kit- or any headlight restore kit, actually- would be useless on my 01 Grand Prix- or any 97-03 Grand Prix that i've ever seen- since the lenses have decided to go yellow from the inside out due to moisture getting inside...

alex
alex UberDork
9/2/13 1:33 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:

I'll give you $450 for it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/2/13 1:43 p.m.
alex wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
I'll give you $450 for it.

Per week? Yeah, I can do that...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/13 2:17 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
ncjay wrote: http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-cabinet-44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-68784.html Thats a lot of toolbox for $400. I have one. Thank you HF
LOL. You guys are hilarious.

I don't get it. The Cornwell box is quite nice. Why is it being compared to one at the HF link?

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/2/13 3:16 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Magazines on a tool box eating up valuable work space... head hurt!

those look like shop manuals

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/2/13 5:55 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Helpful hint: use toothpaste instead.

Its why I love my local drug store!!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/2/13 6:03 p.m.

My shop manuals look like a 17" monitor. But i do have piles and piles and piles of car magazines!

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/4/13 3:20 p.m.

Back to headlights:

• Remove 'em, wet sand with 400 'til the slurry isn't yellow-y anymore.

• Shoot with automotive clear coat. I like DuPont Chromacolor.

• New again, and lasts forever.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
9/4/13 3:43 p.m.

Make sure you hit them with clear coat or something after polishing them up. Otherwise UV rays will make them look foggy again in a few weeks.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 3:52 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

True story: Brand new headlights, including the corner lamps, are less than $20 a pop on Rock Auto. I just bought some 3 months ago for SWMBO's 01 Grand Prix.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/4/13 3:57 p.m.

$20 a pop, cheap. They're only one large a pop on the Elise.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ksAAH4KqFr6nzXJqRhrLOZeaETSbfatom5aH20zJUstVDo5pAdcRTElaWjElC7SI