aribert
aribert None
5/17/13 10:18 p.m.

Greetings all:

First post. I came to the GRM forums to search for postings about wideband AFM use. Even though I have read the FAQ - I still can not find a search tab for the forums. If my question has been beat to death - then apologies in advance and please direct me to prior posts.

I am looking to purchase a wideband AFM to use for carb tuning. I want to be able to data log AFR, rpm and (I think) MAP. I am leaning away from even having a display in the car. I intend for the system to be semi-portable to use in both of my carb'ed cars. I have Google'd and read threads on many different forums. It appears that every brand has been both bashed and glorified. I am willing to spend about $400 for a one time purchase that I expect to be able to use for the next decade (understanding that the O2 sensor is a wear item). Once the monies have been spent, I am stuck with the device, whether it works well or not - I am not willing/able to spend these monies twice. I am interested in getting usefull data - I have minimal time to learn to program software.

I am kind of leaning toward the Zeitronix Zx-2 with their datalogger but am still trying to find out about other brands / features. If you use a wideband AFM for carb tuning, I would be please to read your comments - likes, dislikes, etc. Thanks

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/13 10:35 p.m.

I had a ZT-2.

Zeitronix's customer service is great. I bought the unit used and couldn't get it to work. Zeitronix said to send it to them and let them check it out. It was broken and they fixed it for free, 3 years after the warranty expired. They also updated it to the most current firmware.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/18/13 8:22 a.m.

You also want to measure rpm. The carb jets "usage" will cange with rpm MAP, and throttle position.

But other than that, I've not researched data logging a/f meters for a while. Spend the money on one that is really easy to use-which I guess is pretty obvisous.

The sensors now are limited to 2 major manufacturers, and a few smaller ones. Since people are cheap, you will find ones that are compatable with production parts- that's important so that IF you make a mistake and break the sensor (they are pretty tough) you can replace it pretty easily.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
5/18/13 4:38 p.m.

I use a FAST dual channel logging WB with the rpm module to assist with carb tuning. No problems for me, but logging MAP might be a problem for you.

aribert
aribert New Reader
5/20/13 6:22 a.m.

All: Thanks for the comments.

"Spend the money on one that is really easy to use-which I guess is pretty obvious" Comments requested for systems that are easy (or conversely systems that are annoying) to use/program.

How important is monitoring MAP? My thought is that MAP (vacuum) is also a surrogate for throttle position.

Your thoughts?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/20/13 6:39 a.m.

The way carbs work, MAP and throttle are not exactly surrogates. Close, but since the fuelling works off of vacuum, MAP is a little more important.

Where throttle comes into play- if you have ports that open up at a certain throttle or a set of secondaries that open, or don't mistake acceleration fuelling on the main jets if you have an accelerator pump (not all do).

The problem with throttle is that there are not many provisions to measure throttle position...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PRmFHnOuihdA7kXUN9mbHPxKACOKBlx3NdT6RlWFjjlzuCyzil9PBwDhQ1PMt87Y