Steelpig
5/29/12 1:42 p.m.

The wife says no, but for those with comfortable couches or are single:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3041822741.html

Sorry, no affiliation, etc.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/29/12 2:10 p.m.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not looking for a P-car, but many here may find that worth looking at.

corytate
corytate Dork
5/29/12 2:18 p.m.

OH MY GOT!
thats a hell of a steal right there, at least I wouldn't think the mileage would matter on that enough to bring it down to a 6.5k car...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/12 2:19 p.m.

Would this work better?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2983835220.html

$2012

corytate
corytate Dork
5/29/12 2:33 p.m.

sub that sbc for sbf for more handlings! lol.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
5/29/12 2:46 p.m.

Looks to be a good price on the p-car - curious why it still has NM plates over a year after buying - or very old photos - painted targa bar and tail would make me wonder what else is under the paint... That said - straight looking, running/driving 911 that isn't putting out mosquito control level of smoke is worth something.

Steelpig
Steelpig New Reader
5/29/12 2:53 p.m.

I actually went and took it for a spin. It was her ex husbands car, it was in her name at the time of the divorce, and thus it ended up in Raleigh NC. As for the missing top, her brother was driving it and did not latch it correctly. It flew off on the highway, and it was run over by the car following. It is very solid with no rust, but I'm not sure what possesed them to paint the Targa bar. It needs some work, but what 911 wouln't for that money.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/29/12 2:54 p.m.

http://teamtac.org/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?68433

Another not Challenge priced car that would be cool.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/29/12 6:08 p.m.

I'm sorry, but if you are "making payments" on a 31 year old Porsche with more than 200,000 miles, you are seriously troubled.

Looks like a deal, though.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
5/29/12 6:14 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I'm sorry, but if you are "making payments" on a 31 year old Porsche with more than 200,000 miles, you are seriously troubled. Looks like a deal, though.

What he said...

I was like, WTF who makes payments on a 7k car? If that hard up for cash, I can't see the maintenance being up to date.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
5/29/12 6:42 p.m.

If I infer correstly it sounds like her EX-husband bought it and was going to make payments but it was in her name so she got "stuck" with it in the divorce and wants to be out from under it. Still I agree who makes payments on a 200k miles P car?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
5/29/12 10:31 p.m.

How do you get a loan on a $7k 30+ year old car?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/29/12 10:39 p.m.

Im getting the impression 7k is the payoff or less.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/12 11:10 p.m.

Given the price of even a used Targa top, this might not be quite that much of a bargain...

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/29/12 11:21 p.m.

Strange.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/30/12 9:15 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: How do you get a loan on a $7k 30+ year old car?

most people would just get a personal loan and use another asset to secure it. I'm not going to knock the guy for financing what may have been his dream car. I'd much rather make payments on an old Porsche than a new Camry.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/30/12 9:25 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Given the price of even a used Targa top, this might not be quite that much of a bargain...

I'm curious as to how bad the top is. If the frame is fine, or can be made straight, it might not be too bad.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/12 9:40 a.m.

Not sure if you can straighten the frame - IIRC it's aluminium...

There are a couple of other issues that I could see on the photos - the door pockets are missing for starters, the engine cover (as already mentioned) is a whale tail from a 3.2 that should be matched with the appropriate front lip. Busted a/c is pretty normal for these, though, and the coating on the targa bar tends to come off after a while. I would have still painted it in the original satin black, though.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/30/12 9:56 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Yeah, I have an 85 Targa and I'm not sure what the top frame is made out of.....honestly never really paid attention. AC is way less than ideal even when working properly on the old air cooled 911s. I've heard of guys getting them to blow good and cold with aftermarket parts, but that gets expensive. I just avoid really hot days in mine. It's amazing the difference in the ac between my 911 and 944 Turbo......the 944 ac is so much better.

Still, at 6k, that seems like a lot of car for the money if it's in fair shape and whoever buys it can do most of their own work. It's not even close to perfect, but what 911 is for 6k?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
idUHZLLZiIRlNbX4fOY9I2kTtfPfQC6HFZsNXhP6TsZgKPbZpWTKwpPw3p8FAYq0