1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/21/23 11:37 a.m.
feature_image

Is this a hint regarding a future stop for the Mazda MX-5 Cup series? The series is testing today at Martinsville Speedway–yes, the NASCAR oval dating back to 1947.

From the press notice: “The Mazda MX-5 Cup will test at Martinsville Speedway in exploration of future racing opportunities at the half-mile track.”

As the release continues, open-top racing isn’t new …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/21/23 12:10 p.m.

“Normal MX-5 Cup” racing is intense. This could be a bit off the scale. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/21/23 12:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm not too familiar with Martinsville, but, looking at photos, that looks like a tight track. I'd love to watch some racing there.

And if we're adding ovals to the schedule, may I suggest adding the L.A. Coliseum, too? Perhaps around the same time NASCAR is doing the Clash at the Coliseum?

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
8/21/23 1:03 p.m.

Apparently they've got some experienced Martinsville drivers in Dale Earnhardt Jr. And Bobby Labonte helping with the testing.

New test drivers

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/23 1:37 p.m.

I just want them to come north of the border to Mosport with IMSA and put on a show. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/21/23 3:22 p.m.

Just add Bowman-Gray to the schedule if they are going for a theater of the sport. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/23 4:10 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Just add Bowman-Gray to the schedule if they are going for a theater of the sport. 

If they run Bowman-Gray, they will have to add a few more items to the required components list, like boxing gloves and maybe lozenges for all the yelling and screaming.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
8/21/23 7:40 p.m.

Yall in Winston???

I went to BG a few weeks back, first time in years, but got rained out during qualifying

David S. Wallens
8/22/23 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

That’s pretty cool. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
8/22/23 6:44 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Some in car shots got posted this afternoon.  Looks like a hoot and a half

Twitter link

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/23/23 7:42 a.m.

I think I'm going to enter this race.  Strategy will be to just do laps in the pits while everyone else wrecks.  Easy win.  

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/23/23 6:45 p.m.

I guess the Miata/Martinsville idea came from I Racing where it is already a thing.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/24/23 8:24 a.m.

Jr. turns laps in a MX-5 at Martinsville.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/24/23 8:31 a.m.

Hmmm...  he says they're about a second slower than a stockcar.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/24/23 8:46 a.m.

TIL that MX-5 Cup cars have sequential gearboxes. I always assumed they were just a more up to date version of SpecMiata with a normal box. It would be fun to watch them on an oval and I thought I heard Junior say they're only a second of Cup car lap times. I've driven a stock NB on an oval and it was interesting, as well as surprising. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/24/23 8:54 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

They've had sequentials for years.

Are the Spec guys really ready to have to replace every single panel on the car? devil

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/24/23 8:57 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

TIL that MX-5 Cup cars have sequential gearboxes. I always assumed they were just a more up to date version of SpecMiata with a normal box. It would be fun to watch them on an oval and I thought I heard Junior say they're only a second of Cup car lap times. I've driven a stock NB on an oval and it was interesting, as well as surprising. 

When the sanctioning body chose the Flis brothers to be the lone supplier of the MX-5 pro series vehicles they also implemented the sequential in the $80k package. I believe you can purchase one for any of the other spec miata series from them with either that or a traditional dog box. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/24/23 8:58 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

A Racecar Engineering article on MX-5 Cup development said some drivers were shaving tenths by barely dipping the clutch when shifting. Because that wore out gearboxes it was done by those that could afford it so to equalize performance everyone runs a sequential.  It's a Sadev SCL82-17 6 speed. A side effect was that it took 3 seconds off every track on the schedule.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/24/23 9:01 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I find the SpecPinata reputation somewhat disappointing, although it is deserved. I ran a SpecMiata for two seasons and never put a scratch on it. The guys that ran around me were the same way. Now I go back to the track and they're all sporting wrinkled sheet metal.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/24/23 10:47 a.m.

Fun fact:  Chad McCumbee played a young Dale Jr. in the ESPN masterpiece 3

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/24/23 2:53 p.m.

The question that comes to my mind - what can one do to get these cars to turn left and what will be tolerated :-D

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/24/23 3:58 p.m.

Pretty sure they turn left pretty well already.  

Positive camber on the lefts, good amount of negative on the rights.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/24/23 4:28 p.m.

I think they'll need a Left front tire before 45 minutes at Martinsville, maybe brake pads too. Someplace rounder would be spectacular.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/24/23 4:50 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Right front?

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/23 5:01 p.m.

As NASCAR moves closer and closer to being an Austrailian Supercars/IMSA hybrid, it only makes sense that Miatas will be on ovals, right?

I hate the NASCAR Cup cars at Martinsville, but I would kill to see the Miatas run there.  Awesome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BLLoCI5xF6zRgMlyQAPbklT48Zam3x18H6mTSlpJ2eXfdyfphCso8Xg0e5c8OWTD