vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/18 1:53 p.m.

VW has been here before:

Golf Country 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/30/18 2:02 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I owned a 1985 200SX and I first saw this car in some Nissan racing magazine I picked up at the dealer.  I was totally blown away with how they did this.  

80sFast
80sFast Reader
12/30/18 2:03 p.m.
vwcorvette said:

VW has been here before:

Golf Country 

Do want

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/30/18 2:08 p.m.
irish44j said:
Kreb said:
Slippery said:

I like them when they are driven as intended.

This. If you are the owner of the car you can do whatever the hell you want to with it. But there are a lot of guys like myself who will withhold our respect until it's actually seen the dirt in a serious way. It's no different than all the stockbrokers and other monied professionals who I see driving their Porsches as if they had Buick on the nameplates.

I suppose you also withhold your respect from : big pickup truck owners who never tow stuff or haul heavy equipment; sportscar owners who never go to the track; 4-door sedan owners who never have anyone ride in the back seat; Jeep owners who don't off-road; Miata owners who don't autocross; Anyone who builds a high-horsepower car and doesn't drag race; etc etc etc. You must have a lot of respect saved up for future use.....lol.

I do chuckle at them being a bit poser-ish, but you never know. There was a local guy who used to have the plates "rally BMW" on his e92, with rallhy armor mudflaps. I'd see the guy all the time in my commute and get a little chuckle. Then I go to a rallycross the next month and there he is, getting his year-old e92 all muddy out in a field.  

I actually love these "safari" Porsches, primarily because they piss off the snarky 911 purists. I'd rather see this than yet another "look I got $5000 BBS 3-piece wheels for my GT2" build. Purists for any marque are the most boring and lame of automotive groups. 

You know what? That was a quality comeback. Kudos. Let me try and engage my brain a bit more for my response. First - I'm not a Porsche guy, but I know several, and they all modify their cars. Purists would seem to be rarer and rarer nowadays.

Let me retract not respecting guys who build theme cars and don't use them in the manner that the theme suggests. I can respect them, but it just holds no appeal to me.   

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 3:24 p.m.
Kreb said:
irish44j said:
Kreb said:
Slippery said:

I like them when they are driven as intended.

This. If you are the owner of the car you can do whatever the hell you want to with it. But there are a lot of guys like myself who will withhold our respect until it's actually seen the dirt in a serious way. It's no different than all the stockbrokers and other monied professionals who I see driving their Porsches as if they had Buick on the nameplates.

I suppose you also withhold your respect from : big pickup truck owners who never tow stuff or haul heavy equipment; sportscar owners who never go to the track; 4-door sedan owners who never have anyone ride in the back seat; Jeep owners who don't off-road; Miata owners who don't autocross; Anyone who builds a high-horsepower car and doesn't drag race; etc etc etc. You must have a lot of respect saved up for future use.....lol.

I do chuckle at them being a bit poser-ish, but you never know. There was a local guy who used to have the plates "rally BMW" on his e92, with rallhy armor mudflaps. I'd see the guy all the time in my commute and get a little chuckle. Then I go to a rallycross the next month and there he is, getting his year-old e92 all muddy out in a field.  

I actually love these "safari" Porsches, primarily because they piss off the snarky 911 purists. I'd rather see this than yet another "look I got $5000 BBS 3-piece wheels for my GT2" build. Purists for any marque are the most boring and lame of automotive groups. 

You know what? That was a quality comeback. Kudos. Let me try and engage my brain a bit more for my response. First - I'm not a Porsche guy, but I know several, and they all modify their cars. Purists would seem to be rarer and rarer nowadays.

Let me retract not respecting guys who build theme cars and don't use them in the manner that the theme suggests. I can respect them, but it just holds no appeal to me.   

Agreed - I hate stanced cars and don't see the point of them at all - but I have several friends who build them and do some amazing work, so I can respect the work and still not like the end result or the premise. And I won't be a hypocrite and pretend that I don't roll my eyes at mall-crawler jeeps or "rally-style" Subarus, neither of which ever see any dirt. But I do think a poser off-road Porsche is way neater than a poser Jeep on 35s and 20 LED bars, lol. I do recall that I myself have on occasion made eye-rolling comments about "safari-style" exotic cars in the past myself. Maybe I'm getting more accepting in my older age ;)

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
12/30/18 3:39 p.m.

I can't say that I would ever consider doing it to an air-cooled Porsche... But I have thought about doing it to an S197 Mustang from time to time. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/18 4:41 p.m.

I wonder how a 318ti would look?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 4:59 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I wonder how a 318ti would look?

Related image

but really, 318ti's are pretty popular stage rally cars, and people don't lift them in any significant way. Noyes and Stone are very fast and theirs sits pretty much stock (even with rally suspension)

Image result for 318ti stage rally noyes stone irish44j

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/30/18 5:01 p.m.
Driven5 said:

I can't say that I would ever consider doing it to an air-cooled Porsche... But I have thought about doing it to an S197 Mustang from time to time. 

IIRC the biggest issue those guys have is that they can't fit 15" wheels on the car, and so can't run gravel rally tires - so they have to use all-seasons or snow tires for rally. If this is the car that competed in STPR in 2016 (I thought that one was silver, but I could be wrong) it was very very slow since they had to be careful using street tires. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/30/18 5:03 p.m.

So are we saying that it's mandatory to lift a car to create a safari version of that car?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/18 5:09 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I reckon that ends up being the crux of the debate... people who rallycross/rally know how much stock suspension can do... along with what rally tires are worth.

stepping back a minute... it's kind of like a secondary answer to the question of "what car to do it all?"

with all being a different direction than it's generally discussed on here

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/30/18 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I wouldn't say so. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
12/30/18 5:51 p.m.

I require less lifted porches and more malaise era turds done up baja 1000 style. 

This but bad.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 5:56 p.m.

James Garner's "Grabber" 1970 Olds is decidedly Pre-Malaise.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
12/30/18 5:57 p.m.

That's where the this but bad comes from.

Mostly because malaise is all I can afford.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/18 6:05 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:

My son is building a 450 hp safari 914. He intends to drive it on the streets of Atlanta. 

build thread, or it didn't happen wink

It is happening. Sorry, don’t feel the need to prove it. wink

Maybe someday...

To be more explicit, and less "internetty"... that's the kind of story I'd like to follow along and/or encourage... or, at least, see a final build picture of.  I'd wager I'm not alone in this.

+1. I am certainly not asking for proof, but would love to see information on it! First question - what engine is he using to get to that hp? 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

LoL!  I understand that!

But there are some cheap/shabby muscle era (and earlier) vehicles that will take kindly to having the rusty wheelwells cut out.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 6:22 p.m.

But, back on topic-

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/18 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

OMGWTFBBQ!

ARMAGEDDON! 

THE END IS NIGH!

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That dust is really going to be tough to get out of the pleats in the leather....

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
12/30/18 6:37 p.m.

All your puny little cars 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/30/18 6:40 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

IJS

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/18 6:41 p.m.
dyintorace said:
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:
sleepyhead said:
SVreX said:

My son is building a 450 hp safari 914. He intends to drive it on the streets of Atlanta. 

build thread, or it didn't happen wink

It is happening. Sorry, don’t feel the need to prove it. wink

Maybe someday...

To be more explicit, and less "internetty"... that's the kind of story I'd like to follow along and/or encourage... or, at least, see a final build picture of.  I'd wager I'm not alone in this.

+1. I am certainly not asking for proof, but would love to see information on it! First question - what engine is he using to get to that hp? 

I apologize. Didn’t mean to be snarky. 

Build theeads are easy for some people, and really hard for others. They are hard for me- I am usually much too busy building stuff to stop and write about it. I wish I was better at it. 

In my son’s case, he is a bit of a private person, and building it very slowly. It’s a real world build being done by a guy who is saving the money and paying with cash as he goes.  It’s taking years.  He won’t write a build thread because he doesn’t want the attention, but even if he did it would be so slow moving it would bore everyone to tears. 

The car will probably be on the road some time next year. If so, I’ll snag a couple pics and share. But there will never be a full build thread. 

Dyntorace: the engine choice is an EJ20X. He’s put one in that he is gonna have about 300 hp. His plan is to boost it till it blows. When it does, he will replace it with another EJ20X with a sleeved block and forged pistons, built for 450 hp.  He will install a dog box transmission (and drive it on the street). 

The car is caged and channeled now, and the brush bar and safari rack are complete. 

But that’s about all I can give you right now. ;-)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/18 6:49 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Sounds like a very cool project! Thanks for the details.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/18 6:57 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

This is his inspiration, but his car is much cooler. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6IrooEDHsVrCdWzPnef4ZyxxOXR0FqcNirwqCzbarAxfdJPbFMu14vrfB5bQBkn2