smog7
smog7 Dork
5/23/12 8:34 p.m.

I just had my windshield replaced about a month ago. Besides doing a pretty sloppy job, I think the installer may have actually messed up. The install was done as a side job by a person who works as a windshield installer. I paid $160 for the windshield and installation.

what do you guys think? The gap between the windshield and body of the car seems kinda big to me.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/23/12 9:24 p.m.

Uh, that's freaking sloppy as heck! As far as the gap, the only control the installer has is making sure it's sorta even. But that primer, that ain't coming off without sand paper.

smog7
smog7 Dork
5/23/12 9:36 p.m.

Well the problem was that the installer wasn't sure if he had picked up the correct windshield. With this model celica there is a difference between narrow and wide body. Prior to installation the installer measured everything out and assured me that it would fit with no problems.

Also, is the weather stripping supposed to be loose like that?

I'm beginning to regret cheaping out.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
5/24/12 5:53 a.m.

The glass gap isn't terribly worrisome as long as it's sealed with adhesive properly. The gasket may have shrunk back a bit which also isn't a huge surprise. The totally sloppy use of urethane is, however, a sign of a dolt.

I had a interesting discussion with a guy who is truly a glass 'professional'. There's a lot more to putting those things in than just a tube of urethane and a plastic spoon. After listening to him I'd never use a low budget guy again. He did the windshield on my E30 for $180 as comparison.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/24/12 6:44 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The glass gap isn't terribly worrisome as long as it's sealed with adhesive properly. The gasket may have shrunk back a bit which also isn't a huge surprise. The totally sloppy use of urethane is, however, a sign of a dolt. I had a interesting discussion with a guy who is truly a glass 'professional'. There's a lot more to putting those things in than just a tube of urethane and a plastic spoon. After listening to him I'd never use a low budget guy again. He did the windshield on my E30 for $180 as comparison.

QFT. ddavid is an appraiser and I'm in the business too. Agree that the gap doesn't really concern me, but the job was sloppy at best.

smog7
smog7 Dork
5/24/12 7:20 p.m.

thanks for the responses.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zslXYIiFohw9IlY01qJVI5JC7H96R2qIX7onNlSHwGRsbMFerpSUlsKM3mKBreVQ