Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/4/15 6:39 p.m.

I picked up a car before Christmas with an aftermarket carbon fiber hood, the hood has no mounting hole's for the (factory) sprayers, I am not a big fan of this hood but it has a nice air duct and I might sell it later so I do not want to bugger this thing up. Has anyone has installed a wet arm system like this or is there a better system for NON hood mounted windshield washer sprayers.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47135-Windshield-Washer-Nozzle/dp/B003SOK1DG

The car will be used for Rally-X so the washer system will need to work well.

Thanks, Paul

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/4/15 6:45 p.m.

Lots and lots of GMs and Chryslers have wiper arm mounted nozzles. I'd think a wander through the pic'n'pull might be worthwhile. My 2000 Silverado has a nozzle with 3 outlets, if memory serves.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/4/15 6:49 p.m.

This kit is used on GM trucks and is inexpensive new, not really worth the trip to the salvage yard.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/15 7:26 p.m.

My experiance with wet arms systems is pretty negative. the washer heads always get knocked off and broken when clearing ice.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/4/15 7:28 p.m.

Could you mount fixed ones on the cowl?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/4/15 7:28 p.m.

I had a 93 Grand Am and they were the best sprayers I ever had.

They would freeze up though if it was wet and then got cold.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/15 7:43 p.m.

I saved a few sets with the goal of adapting them to the RX-7.

Spraying off of the arm isn't 100% perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than uselessly spraying the backside of the wiper blade for half the stroke and missing the top or bottom half of the windshield completely. Or deciding if you want to aim the squirters so that they work when stopped or work at 75mph because you can't have both.

Grr. This thread is reminding me why I don't want to sell the Volvo. The sprayers are on the wipers. And hitting the sprayers also works headlight wipers, which are an invention that every car ever should have because AWESOME.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/15 8:13 p.m.

Another vote for arm mounted wipers. I've always had good luck with them.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/15 8:20 p.m.

The 97-02 Pontiac Grand Prix has arm-mounted ones that work very, very well. We've never had them freeze up or ice over in 8 years of owning the car, with lots of icy winter driving. I think a big part of that is that they "park" under the hood/cowl when off, protecting them from the elements.

Also, the 83-88 Ford Thunderbird had "hidden" nozzles that lived in the cowl with a seriously wide pattern to them. Again, the nozzles themselves were under the hood/cowl.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/4/15 9:12 p.m.

The cowl is rather small but I did find a number of kits, I will have to take a closer look next time I work on the car.

Paul

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/15 1:08 p.m.

My G35 Coupe had nozzles on the wiper arms. I don't have a significant snow or ice problem here, so I can't speak to that, but they did do what a washer should.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lib4tmAfO6xVqwiCIt8QiSe5vuZa5Z2MzHsRMLHT4x5UA2jOV2W9RruN5TBnaXVH