bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/12 10:16 p.m.

If you make your response relatable, concise, and convincing that you understand their time is valuable and will not waste it, answer your phone that day on the first few rings, and then follow through on what you said.... you too can score a 2 ton collapsible hoist with leveler still in the box minus a few nuts/bolts for $0.

Expectedly there was lots of interest but this little paragraph sealed me as the pick:

" I also use craigslist often and appreciate it when the other party actually shows up on time or at least communicates well when things happen, as they do. You can expect the same courtesy from me."

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/12 11:34 p.m.

Most excellent.

corytate
corytate Dork
8/23/12 7:32 p.m.

most glorious.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/23/12 9:23 p.m.

I won today too.
Listed 8 days ago and left today with new owner.

My M-I-L has decided to buy a new car.
I listed this:
All pictures
'06 Touring package w/ 53k miles. Always dealer serviced and synthetic at 5k miles. Garage kept. Owned by 80 yr old lady.
Asked $11,900.
Shopper who I really only briefly spoke with came in today with his wife. They drove in 4 hours from Indiana. Agreed on $11k even but had the transaction completed at the Ford Dealership she ordered the new car from. This makes it look like a trade-in on the new car and in Ohio that means a sales tax benefit of about $700. In short, it makes it equal to having sold the car for $11,700.

Real nice buyers who got a wonderfully maintained car. True win-win.

I was a little concerned that I had only one shopper in the previous week. I had the car listed on 4 CL cities. I thought for sure the first guy who looked at it was going to buy it but he did not. The second one did!
My buyer was nearly 2 hours late getting here which had me a little worried but like noted above, he was very good about keeping in-touch by phone and announcing his delays.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/12 12:54 a.m.

nice! you forgot the most important part, though. what Ford did she get?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
8/24/12 5:28 a.m.

Thought she wanted an Edge but came away liking the new, just released Escape with most all the bells and whistles.
She likes the seat height and ease of entry with an artificial hip. Also really likes the back-up camera and just generally the smaller size.
This color and level of trim:

Special ordered weeks ago and expected to arrive this Tuesday. With the Chrysler now gone, my M-I-L will drive my wife's Mazda5 till the Escape arrives. Wife driving Miata, me in e30.

We shopped everything in the small ute category. The winners were New Escape, Mazda's retiring CX-7 and new CRV, in that order.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/24/12 5:32 a.m.

Not Craigslist but Ebay classifieds. After dealing with a bunch of promising sounding people who never bothered to show up (Craigslist; WTF is it with those shoppers?) had a son/mom drive in 6 hrs from Pittsburgh to buy my wife's Forester for asking price. Called a few times along the way to let me know they were getting closer. I gave them a bunch of extra stuff I'd planned on ebay-ing in appreciation.

Amazing what common courtesy can get you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ed3ISRgwhw8Hg5aYAOm7QD30jtfKGCwj1tl8vtR7XWcmCR7P8fQe0gqjb7XFQIwg