neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/5/15 11:08 a.m.

I may have a line on a (likely) 2nd gen caravan/voyager with a manual transmission. This would be an in family deal. If it is a 2nd gen with a 5spd, it would be the 2.5L 4. I got my license in an Acclaim on a related platform(AA vs AS) with a TBI 2.5. If I pick it up, what do I need to know that I don't already from wikipedia and my time with an acclaim? I already have multiple sets of 14" ChryCo FWD wheels left over from my neon days.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/15 11:21 a.m.

Depending on the options and weight class it may have 5x114 bolt pattern (usually 5-speed vans were either special ordered passenger vans or were windowless cargo vans).

Pretty much everything is standard FWD Chryco stuff, but with a bit more height to deal with around the engine.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/5/15 11:36 a.m.

Paging Vigo. Vigo to the front desk.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
2/5/15 12:05 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Depending on the options and weight class it may have 5x114 bolt pattern (usually 5-speed vans were either special ordered passenger vans or were windowless cargo vans). Pretty much everything is standard FWD Chryco stuff, but with a bit more height to deal with around the engine.

I do not believe this to be the case. I had a '92 Voyager 5-speed and the lug pattern was 5x100. I think the 5x114 was only on LWB models, and possibly SWB models with V-6.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/5/15 12:55 p.m.

Lol

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/15 1:00 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
turboswede wrote: Depending on the options and weight class it may have 5x114 bolt pattern (usually 5-speed vans were either special ordered passenger vans or were windowless cargo vans). Pretty much everything is standard FWD Chryco stuff, but with a bit more height to deal with around the engine.
I do not believe this to be the case. I had a '92 Voyager 5-speed and the lug pattern was 5x100. I think the 5x114 was only on LWB models, and possibly SWB models with V-6.

Yes because the Chrysler factory was so consistent with their minivans back in the day. /sarcasm

The turbo LWB minivan that was never supposed to be available as an option does exist in multiple iterations.

Also the C/V versions were always odd ducks as they typically got the bottom rung power options with all of the HD suspension pieces (like the larger bolt patterns for example).

At least its an easy thing to work around IF the OP finds this to be true, but I also highly doubt it since its in the family so it should be a known item.

Seriously though, there aren't any major gotchas to worry about on those that you don't already know.

Headgaskets are wear items and should be changed every so often.

Any rubber under the hood should be suspect, luckily they are cheap.

Power steering lines like to fail and leak. Replace any "ham can" style pumps with the later style ZF aluminum body unit (will has a plastic tank) to enjoy less leaks due to better hose design and easier to adjust belt tension.

Expect the cooling system to gunk up and cause a lack of heat or overheating. Flush it and fill it with distilled water and coolant mix. If flush fails, replace radiator and heater core.

Make sure the brake caliper slides are lubricated, drums adjusted and that the brake fluid is changed.

Motor mounts fail and the parts store pieces are junk. Buy some polyurethane ones from Polybushings.com and never change them again and enjoy less engine movement/torque steer.

Shift cable bushings like to fail. Booger bushings are the answer for the later A-523/568 transaxles.

Probably going to be due for new suspension bushings, ball joints and tie-rod ends.

Good luck! Should be a fun run-around for ya.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/5/15 2:40 p.m.

I recall the head gasket on our acclaim had a 24k mile life expectancy. Would a newer mls gasket offer longer life?

The van belonged to my wife's uncle(through marriage). He passed back in July and now her aunt is looking to get it out of the garage.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/7/15 11:34 a.m.

I helped a local friend convert a 95 3.0/3spd to a turbo 2.5/5spd. I also converted my old 1st gen tbi/5spd to turbo/5spd.

I think the worst thing about the 2g vans is that they have horrible headlight performance and the front doors tend to sag. Other than that they are everything that's right with the 1g van turned up a notch.

They're AMAZINGLY useful for how small they are. They have massive interior space and the same basic footprint as my 2007 Prius. They feel quicker than they are from 0-50 because of the gearing. The non-turbo is an 18 second car that feels like a 16 second car most of the time. my 1990 5spd tbi averaged 27mpg. The newer one is all the same crap but maybe minorly improved aero.

Honestly, if you're not going by pure excitement factor, i think the 5spd 4 cyl Caravan is one of the best vehicles ever designed and built. Massive utility in a small space with good economy and comfort. And of course massive turbo upgradability.

Did i mention they are one of the easiest and cheapest vehicles in the world to work on? I've been an auto tech for a long time and i'm being completely serious. Insanely easy. Only thing they lack in ease of repair is a fuel pump access hatch in the floorboard. When you open up the hood and peer into that cavernous space you will smile.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
2/7/15 12:59 p.m.

Buddy of mine was giving me crap about putting my 89 back together again.. Vigo is right!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/15 9:51 p.m.

here's a 5 speed

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4883474154.html

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/15 5:51 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: If I pick it up, what do I need to know that I don't already from wikipedia and my time with an acclaim?

Nothing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NBCgXHwIdaqYZSbxlNhuZFFSrIhJ05JyJ19EnAdyv5bs9v1TITvI2ewYdz3LfSmS