1 2 3
eebasist
eebasist Reader
9/1/20 7:38 p.m.

Obviously 2 sides to every story.....he weaves a bit of a different tale on the Pcar forum.....somewhere in between is the truth

I'd suggest filing a theft charge locally.  Since it was UPS and USPS the post office wont help.  Do that/get the ball rolling with your local PD, and simply send that info to Wharton's ethics office.  Doubt much will happen in the ethics office but it may be interesting.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/1/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to eebasist :

I think the truth is that he was offered a refund and he did not take it, probably because it was a good deal and he would miss out on it if he returned them. 

When I went to Home Depot the other day to return a $200 rotary drill that I did not use I did not ask for them to pay for my gas ... I don't think the seller should pay for the return shipping. And I am not saying that because he is a GRM member. 

Also these "cracks", do we know for sure were there?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/1/20 8:03 p.m.

In reply to eebasist :

That reads to me like someone trying to get ahead of the story he knows is coming. At this point he has the wheels and all of his money, that is wrong. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 8:55 p.m.

As an aside, I never give my condition of an item, other than in photographs, because my "awesome" might be another person's trash. Likewise, I might cost myself money by calling something a worthless piece of E36 M3, when it's exactly what the other guy is looking for. 

It's possible that to somebody not used to looking at wheels the cracks didn't look like cracks. 

eebasist
eebasist Reader
9/1/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum SupporterI 

I don't disagree, if I was the OP i'd be sure to let that forum know that he still has the wheels, and the money.  With PayPal the seller is always screwed....no matter what.  File the theft charge, might even look at small claims in NJ but realistically you have little leverage no matter how wrong this M3-head is.  

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
9/1/20 10:53 p.m.

And this here is why I initiate the transfer out of PayPal to my bank about the same time I drop the item off for shipping. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/2/20 3:26 a.m.

The bullet points in his experience make me hate resume nonsense more than I'd care to remember.

I wonder does fleabay et al offer pre purchase inspection for everything and if not why not?

Obviously cost is an issue but a transaction north of $1k has got to be worth a hundo?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/2/20 8:18 a.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to eebasist :

I think the truth is that he was offered a refund and he did not take it, probably because it was a good deal and he would miss out on it if he returned them. 

When I went to Home Depot the other day to return a $200 rotary drill that I did not use I did not ask for them to pay for my gas ... I don't think the seller should pay for the return shipping. And I am not saying that because he is a GRM member. 

Also these "cracks", do we know for sure were there?

eBay makes the seller pay for return shipping when they force returns/refunds. Probably what he's expecting/why he's expecting.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/2/20 8:28 a.m.

Unfortunately the free shipping is becoming a thing now that all the vendors do it.  A vendor will give you free shipping when you purchase and send you a call tag when you return an item.

People don't seem to realize that doesn't come into play when you're buying from an individual and with used parts.  I always explicitly say that my stuff is used and to expect wear and tear on it, if they want new, they need to pay new prices and get new parts.

It sucks but some people just want brand new stuff at used prices and if they don't get it don't think they should have any responsibility in the transaction.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/2/20 9:11 a.m.

Hell, I even offered to pay BOTH end of shipping back to get my wheels (since the buyer sent me shipping labels initially). Crickets.

Going to try the local police and then if they let me file a report go to Wharton (unless that's just a lie on his linkedin profile).

make it clear on that forum that dude has your rims and your money. because that's berkeleyed up

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/2/20 1:41 p.m.
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/2/20 2:06 p.m.

Email sent to the Wharton School of Business Ethics Department outlining their student's business and methods they are utilizing to acquire parts for said business. Still working through small claims research in Monmouth County but have located his parents house address where I am certain he resides. Am sure I can have any summons sent that direction when we get to that point. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/2/20 2:34 p.m.

I'd definitely post on rennlist about how you offered to pay for return shipping for the wheels and give a full refund...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/2/20 3:38 p.m.

He also should consider that if he's trying to run a business, he has a lot more to lose if Rennlist blows up in a mud fight than a private seller. Particularly if you post copies there of your offer for the refund and explain that he instead filed a chargeback, and now has both the wheels and the money.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
9/2/20 3:47 p.m.

I have a feeling his "business" is nothing whatsoever. He is a 19 year old KID and there is no record of his business anywhere.....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h1rF5l0ZJJtqAQL2ehiNcHiSWeFWXN7uDrJFcXbrGZI74ffPlVZBWGX45mjSoWWy