1 2
eastpark
eastpark New Reader
11/5/09 6:31 p.m.

I finally decided that I need to attend the Daytona 24 race. Can't wait for the GRM experience!

I might enter the 5k run as well.

Paul

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
11/5/09 6:41 p.m.

see you there. We cant wait either this will be our first GRM experience..

mw
mw Reader
11/5/09 6:53 p.m.

Just a few minutes ago, my wife mentioned that she would like to go to florida this winter. I think the end of January sounds like a good time to go.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
11/5/09 7:22 p.m.

Don't sing it, bring it! January is the best time to visit Daytona.

Seriously, the 24 Hours of Daytona is an awesome race. It's one of my favorite events that we do. (Along with the $200x Challenge, UTCC, and the Mitty.)

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/5/09 7:28 p.m.

I crewed in the race several times. I swear it was a religious experience to be there. So much history. Got a chance to chat with Bobby Unser, saw incredible race cars and broken cars being repaired and put back on track. Joking around with the Donlop tire guys. The trip was a reward for good plant workers, so they were not really racer guys, just totally insane Brits. Good times, never to be forgotten.

Tom Heath
11/5/09 7:36 p.m.

News flash- GRM contributors Wayne and Will Nonnamaker just got a new car. It'll be at the 24 also. Check out the bitchin' sponsor logo on the door.

Full press release

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/5/09 7:43 p.m.

aren't they also going to run RX-8s this year in GT?

I am trying to convince my friend to drive down from Michigan again, I missed it last year, and I want to go again in 2010...Even got permission from the GF. (I decided to go in 2008 before I told her about it...it was on her birthday...I still catch E36 M3 for that move)

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
11/6/09 6:01 a.m.

ummm more Zoom-Zoom to go around

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/6/09 7:30 a.m.

My 2nd time there, I had a blast in 09 no way I will miss 2010

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/6/09 8:33 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: aren't they also going to run RX-8s this year in GT?

Yep. They're have RX-8s in Rolex GT and a Mazdaspeed3 in Koni Challenge.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/6/09 8:34 a.m.

Where do i go to purchase one such ticket?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
11/6/09 10:38 a.m.

Here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2010-grm-experience/

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
11/6/09 10:59 a.m.

I have a stupid question, but I just looked through all the websites and can't find a schedule. When do I want to arrive? When does the race actually start? I'm driving down from MN and need to figure out when to leave.

Tom Heath
11/6/09 6:55 p.m.

On Friday the 29th, they'll have practice/qualifying sessions in the morning before the Fresh from Florida 200 race for the Koni Challenge series. I actually prefer this race to the big 24 hour event, but that's just me. They haven't posted a schedule yet, but that race starts in the early afternoon IIRC.

The 24 itself starts on Saturday and ends on Sunday. Again, there's no schedule posted yet but I believe it starts in the early afternoon also. The only downside of the whole weekend is trying to leave—with everybody parked on the infield, it can take a while to get out. If you aren't in a hurry, you're welcome to help us pack up and hang in the area formerly known as the GRM tent until the crowd clears. Otherwise, plan on leaving with an hour or so of race time left. That isn't usually a problem since the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty significant, but last year they finished very close, so I was glad I was there to see it.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/6/09 7:40 p.m.

I'll be there... 4th yr... as for leaving I usually say good-by to the GRM tent mid-morning Sun and go way up high in the grandstands ( parking out front ) never leave 'til the race is over and have zero problems getting on the road north...

the only problem now is the race starts so much later than it used to it's hard to make it back to WNC that night...

means an extra day of vacation used and an extra night at a motel..

but wouldn't miss it for nuttin...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/6/09 9:25 p.m.

Cool, glad you guys are coming. The foot race is cool. My wife usually runs it while I sleep in. Last year a friend of ours came to visit, and he ran the race, too.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/6/09 10:58 p.m.

I have not run a 5K since high school, I don't think I could do it anymore.

I will probably be at Daytona though.

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
11/7/09 7:38 a.m.

Sounds good. I think my buddy and I will leave MN Tuesday night after work. That should get us there on Thursday afternoon/evening. And we will take Monday off as well.

I should run the 5K it might be good motivation to loose a few pounds.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
11/7/09 10:08 a.m.

Wish I could afford to go.

I hate being unemployed.

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
11/7/09 2:53 p.m.

Still havent seen a time for the race start/finish but due to tv, they keep moving it later and later. It makes it very hard to get back to Tn at a reasonable time on Sunday too. Our plan for this year is to spend Sunday nite in Daytona and drive home on Monday.
They also moved the race date back one week this year so I dont have to be in Jeckyl Island for SCCA one week and Daytona immediately the week thereafter. I also recommend watching the end of the race from the grandstands. You can be on 95 going north within 15 minutes.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/7/09 11:16 p.m.

the finish from the grandstands is the best, the start is always good to watch from the grandstands too.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/9/09 10:41 a.m.

UGH, started training for the 5K today, I decided I was going to run it.

who is with me?

eastpark
eastpark New Reader
11/9/09 11:28 a.m.

I'm going to run the 5K as well. Everyone who's "in" should wear a GRM tee shirt.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/09 11:42 a.m.
eastpark wrote: I'm going to run the 5K as well. Everyone who's "in" should wear a GRM tee shirt.

When exactly is the 5K?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/9/09 11:42 a.m.

I probably will have to buy a new one. Mine is COVERED in oil stains, rust, and ATF.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zjQcwFPXWlekCzwdFDQZA4TND99Z0tymjB38Kg2gidZ2HCUPLzu55u9nNuJB5RQO