Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/12/24 10:50 a.m.
feature_image

The AE86 Toyota Corolla is the stuff of legends, and the GR86 does well to carry on that sporting legacy–but what about their engines? Which one is the better option?

So, would you rather have a GR86 powered by a 4A-GE, or an AE86 powered by a FA24?

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/24 11:36 a.m.

4AGE all things. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/24 12:12 p.m.

FA24-powered AE86, power-to-weight ratio dictates it. You'd have to get on the forefront of solving the oil starvation problem, but on the plus side the engines are still in production so you won't have to choose between hunting down rare antique 4AGE bits and forking over fat stacks of cash for new small-batch aftermarket substitutes.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/12/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I was thinking along the same lines, then I thought "why be logical?"

4AGE GR86 for me.

Bobster
Bobster GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/12/24 1:53 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I've had the 4AGE back before it aged out, and while sweet, it was weak in stock form. The package was delightful. All the upscale comfort and convenience details, the cool appearance, Even decent RWD dynamics, but forget about tossing out the rear on power application. Some of the Formula Atlantic engine enhancements would have been welcome, though they may have revealed other weaknesses in the package. Still, Delightful car.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/12/24 2:06 p.m.

I spent nearly a decade with my AE86 race car,stock'ish 4ag,supercharged 20v(gze bottom end)and turbo 16v(same gze bottom end)with quad carbs for power plants.

Ok engine but so many better 4 cyl options 4 decades after it was designed.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
1/12/24 2:43 p.m.

I'll take the AE-86 and then swap in something that makes sense to me.  The older car is harder to obtain, all things being equal and that's my rationale.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
1/12/24 3:14 p.m.

K24-powered GR86?  laugh

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
1/12/24 3:28 p.m.

So now people think the GRZ would be better with less hp and tq?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/12/24 3:43 p.m.

Can I get a BRZ with an FA24?  If anyone is unhappy with theirs and wants to give it away, I will give it a home.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
1/12/24 4:20 p.m.

I changed my mind. The most logical engine choice/change for the GR86 would be for Toyota to drop the GR Corolla turbo 3-cylinder in it. A 300HP GR86 from the factory would get my checkbook out very quickly. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/12/24 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I never complained about its lack of power, like the old 86 it's supposed to be an entry level blank slate for modifying.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/12/24 5:57 p.m.

really.... you need to ask??

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/24 10:40 p.m.

I love, love, love the character and sound of a 4A-GE and I've owned a bunch of them over the years, in one AW11 and a bunch of AE86s.

That said, torque is a hell of a drug, and after a regret-free decade with an FA20 in my FR-S, I'd really like an FA24. I'd put up with quite a bit of "meh" character to get that area under the curve along with modern engine management.

Given that the twins weigh a couple hundred pounds more than the AE86, the torque difference would probably be even more noticeable if engines were swapped that might take some of the romance out of it. wink

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/13/24 1:08 p.m.

A 4A-GE may sound great, but I'd take the extra power of the FA24 in an AE86 even if it comes with a worse exhaust note. Unless I could get the motor built to Toyota Atlantic specs or like the one in the later Initial D episodes with the redline over 10,000 RPM - that might change things.

te72
te72 HalfDork
1/13/24 2:31 p.m.

I've had so many old school Toyotas over the years, my heart definitely goes to the AE86. My competitive nature favors the GR86 for the chassis though... but then my ears remind me how good a 4AGE sounds.

Tough call.

I'd probably say that there's no reason to mess with a good formula. I'd prefer a clean ish AE86 that wasn't so nice that I'd be hesitant to drive it year round in all weather and all places, and modify to taste.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/14/24 2:28 p.m.

Hmmmm, what about a 7AGE instead....  more hp, more torque........

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/24 3:33 p.m.

I'd want a 4AGE in an AE86, myself.  Small light car needs small revvy engine, leave the low revving trucklike motors for the big heavy cars.  (Unless the FA24 is happy at 8000+ that is)

Now if one must put a large engine in an AE86, and money wasn't an object, Millington Diamond comes to mind.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/24 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

There's actually not a huge difference in maximum safe RPMs between the FA20/FA24 and 4AGE, the difference is that the 4AGE is an engine that likes and needs revs to make power while the FAs have a much flatter torque curve and there's not much need to run them near the factory redline, much less beyond it.

The Toyobaru's FA20/FA24 is good for regular treks into the mid/high-7k range, when you get to the low/mid-8k range you risk blowing up the oil pump. A stock 4AGE 16v redtop is good for regular use up to low-8k range, when you get to mid/high-8k you risk blowing up the oil pump or ejecting lifter shims. The silvertop and blacktop variants can rev a little higher, bluetop maybe a little less.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NK9mOHTpLS0x35pFVKyVVwtW3N5qdv0bDUQpaDE3mK5mKKorfWC0AJ4izl43zpvH