SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/15 2:32 p.m.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4809173858.html

This guy has had this manual E39 wagon listed for about two months now. It was initially at $4500 and the price has been slipping week by week to its current point. I'm tempted to show up with $3k cash and see if he goes for it.

It will obviously need fuel level senders, and it looks like new rear air springs would be in order too. But, depending on the summer wheels/tires included and the other details, it could be worth it.

GRM, what would you do? Would you step in to save this unicorn? (I have had many BMWs and worked on my dad's E39 regularly so I am well aware of their needs, just wondering if the manual wagon-ness is skewing my thought process...)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/17/15 2:35 p.m.

Rust would determine my answer.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/17/15 3:03 p.m.

If you are close go see the rust.

If not, ask for detailed pictures of all the rusty spots plus under the car. As noted above rust would be the determining factor for me.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/15 3:05 p.m.

Look carefully underneath. If its solid enjoy your unicorn.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/17/15 3:10 p.m.

Definitely worth investigating if you're close. You could fix it up, drive it awhile and sell it at a price that would probably pay you back at least 100% of your investment (minus time).

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/15 3:40 p.m.

Going to look at it tomorrow.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/15 5:49 p.m.

if only I was closer....

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/17/15 6:52 p.m.

Seems like a good price, hopefully the rust is minimal.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
1/17/15 7:37 p.m.

Check my E39 refurbish project in the Builds forum to see all the little stuff that goes wrong on these cars over time and with differed maintenance. I'd say $3000 is a good price for that if you can get it and it doesn't have a whole host of issues wrong with it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/15 8:06 p.m.

Do you want a wagon because you want a wagon or do you want a wagon because everyone says that wagons are cool? I still don't get the wagon thing. I mean, I'd rather have a wagon than an SUV, but that's about as far as the wagon want goes with me.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
1/17/15 11:26 p.m.

Pretty car. Def should buy it and drive it for many years!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/15 10:18 a.m.

I want to swap my 540i/6 gear into a 540T.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/15 10:27 a.m.

E39s don't rust. That is why they have such a reputation for "the little things", it's because the car doesn't dissolve first.

Kind of like how we keep discovering new diseases that kill us in our 80s. It's because the things that used to kill people in their 30s and 40s are now relatively trivial.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/18/15 9:58 p.m.

I have an e39 525iT manual. It took 2 years to find it, and while it was under 100k and had the options I wanted - sport/lowered suspension, 17" style 5 wheels, small sunroof, the simpler HVAC system - it cost WAY more than you're looking at. Like more than double.

I've done a clutch, an accessory belt idler, valve cover gasket, oil seperator+lines, cam position sensors, a new ribbin cable on the OBC display and a blower resistor. Maybe a few other little things. But it's pretty much dialed in and it drives like new, and it's the perfect daily.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
1/19/15 9:15 a.m.

One of my favorite cars I've owned was a 1999 528it sport with a manual. Fun car that is useful too.

photo SU1HMDA5NjgtMjAxMTA3MDgtMDYwMS5qcGc.jpg

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/19/15 2:54 p.m.

Adding photo to make you want. Note: previous owner added M5 front and M Technich T rear bumper shells.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/19/15 4:17 p.m.

aaaaaaand its gone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZY6YeSs7NLveP5nkPNl7GOlPsTz5IchN63fK27bJgoNogVNxgDZGog3fpGEZXGJO