1 2
kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 6:05 p.m.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/09/subaru-wrx-hatchback-spied-testing.html

The shooting brake type shape is quite good IMO.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
9/2/14 6:16 p.m.

Not good...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 6:18 p.m.

ya those rear lights look quite bad, lol.

Remember this is a test mule, i'm sure that bad altezza look will still make it like they did last gen but i'm betting the car will look a bit different.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/2/14 6:30 p.m.

I know people love the 5-door, but I like the 4-doors better.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/2/14 6:33 p.m.

That back end is turrible. And I love me some hatchback.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 6:40 p.m.

They should of completed the Lancer ripoff IMO and gone with this kind of look: I don't like those altezza lights at all.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 6:42 p.m.

At least they are making the car. The Hatchback WRX was always the "other" for that company even when they were not sold in the US. People who buy it will be buying it for performance per dollar, awd, plus storage. Not exciting looks. There really is no competition for this car at the price.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/14 6:42 p.m.

Subaru has to win an award for ugliest overall car line. Only the BRZ saves them from total, crushing ugliness.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/2/14 7:22 p.m.

I can deal with that blocky Dodge Caliber rear on the XV Crosstrek (which I kinda like actually)but it is terrible on the regular Impreza and this WRX mule. The previous gen cars look a million times better.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 7:52 p.m.

I don't think the sedan WRX is ugly at all. Unless you consider the EVO to be ugly.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/2/14 9:32 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I know people love the 5-door, but I like the 4-doors better.

ditto. Though I don't like the look of the new one at all (though I do love the drivetrain/chassis).

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/2/14 9:41 p.m.

At the end of the day, Subaru built its reputation on quirky, reliable(ish), function over form vehicles. They specifically excelled (and offered) capabilities a decade before virtually anyone else did (sans Audi, but I don't think they competeted at the time in the same market).

I would argue that people still typically buy a Subaru because its not like everything else, hence the "its what makes a Subaru, a Subaru" ads.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/2/14 9:47 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: At the end of the day, Subaru built its reputation on quirky, reliable(ish), function over form vehicles. They specifically excelled (and offered) capabilities a decade before virtually anyone else did (sans Audi, but I don't think they competeted at the time in the same market). I would argue that people still typically buy a Subaru because its not like everything else, hence the "its what makes a Subaru, a Subaru" ads.

A lot of people buy the WRX due to the cheap speed factor plus AWD. You really do get a lot of car for the money right there.

I wonder how reliable the DI 2.0l engine is compared to the ringland failure apocalypse that is the previous engine.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/14 1:00 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Not good...

Subaru Matrix? Jeez that thing looks tall...

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/3/14 1:17 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Not good...

Definitely fugly.

TroyN
TroyN
9/3/14 1:21 p.m.

Looks like a Prius :(

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/14 1:37 p.m.

People, that's not a real car.

Look at the wheel wells, the area around the gas flap, the grill, and the roof. Thats a mule-just a random set of body parts attached to a body for systems testing.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/3/14 1:40 p.m.

Don't let reality interfere with a rush to judgement, man!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 1:49 p.m.

This is one of those hatches that looks too much like a small minivan (especially from behind). The SX4 is technically closer to a small minivan and it looks more like a hatch than this.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/14 2:52 p.m.

Youre all looking at it the wrong way - theyre really hitting it out of the park with their target LGBT market - there isnt a dreadlocked 30 something Lilith Fair pink triangle groupie in all of Seattle that wouldnt pull out her girlfriends lip-ring for one of those new outbacks!

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/3/14 2:59 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I dunno, the Legacy sedan has nice lines in my opinion.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/3/14 3:08 p.m.

That WRX is the worst Chinese copy of a five year old Focus that I've seen this week.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
9/3/14 4:12 p.m.

Apparently it promotes RIDICULOUS gas prices!!! (and I live in CA!)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 4:16 p.m.

I think Subaru has made it pretty clear that they don't give a rat's ass if a car's lights look good or not.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/14 4:22 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: That WRX is the worst Chinese copy of a five year old Focus that I've seen this week.

Say whaaat??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DsSrhyg4wrcAoSJKSbpedcDXS3VZ2R7M6hmjtaazWdJ3cnj1sjRzISJySOSUhqKo