1 2 3
killjoy7
killjoy7 New Reader
4/6/11 10:01 a.m.

Im looking to sell my track 1st gen rx7 and 95miata R to trade up for an Elise.

My daily driver (with 2 child seats) is a family practical 05 STI ;) So the Elise would definitely be a toy / weekend / track day car.

I'm not gettig any younger and this is probably the closest thing to the supercar countach poster dreams of my youth that i can realistically afford.

Anyone have any experiences with them? Likes, dislikes?

Thx

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/6/11 10:07 a.m.

They are good cars. Some things I saw with them that might need attention/ and suggestions:

The plastics on the rad exhaust fade

Brake pedal sits a bit lower than the clutch/gas pedals

Get a Stage 2 exhaust, sounds soooo much better

think there is a mod to do the LED taillights from an 06

dont carry and change in your pocket, or else it will be in the tub, rattling the whole time

EDIT: Oh, immobilizer is funny to work the first time out. Press the BIG round button on the fob, it acts as the unlock as well as immo. If the red light is blinking on the cluster, the immo has locked again and press the big button again. DONT TOUCH the smaller one. Thats the alarm

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
4/6/11 10:10 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Brake pedal sits a bit lower than the clutch/gas pedals

I haven't driven one, but methinks this would make heel-toeing a bit easier?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/6/11 10:11 a.m.

They are a fantastic drive-to-the-track car. On a race track they are sublime. All of the things that make it a great track car make it a lousy street car.

So... if you are looking for a track toy you will not be disappointed. If you are looking for a canyon carver for you and the Mrs... you might cross shop Boxsters, Z4s and S2000s.

DukeOfUndersteer
4/6/11 10:12 a.m.
Matt B wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Brake pedal sits a bit lower than the clutch/gas pedals
I haven't driven one, but methinks this would make heel-toeing a bit easier?

nope, worse. There is an aftermarket kit that adds a bushing to the pedal to bring it up closer and flush with the others.

EDIT Version 2.0: The batteries in Elises SUCK. You have been warned.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/6/11 10:14 a.m.

I would own one in a heartbeat if I could afford one. My deepest fear, if I owned one (especially as a track toy), would be going off and cracking some bodywork.

Enjoy the car and have fun!

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/6/11 10:16 a.m.

^They have very affordable track-day insurance for people to buy these days.

Lockton Affinity offers some good coverage for precisely this type of thing.

DukeOfUndersteer
4/6/11 10:20 a.m.

EDIT Version 3.0: Rear toe links, make sure they have been replaced...

As well as: Ive heard of oil starvation under EXTREME G's, so people put aftermarket Moroso oil pans in...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/11 10:33 a.m.

Yes. I test drove one for about an hour, very yummy. One of the best parts was seeing my wife and 7 year old come back for a spin and seeing the BIG smiles on both faces.

Hopefully next year one will be in my driveway.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/6/11 10:54 a.m.

Now that they can be had for $25K an Elise is near the top of my shopping list. However I can get a nice 996 for the same money, and E46 M3's or S2000's can be had for half as much cash. It's a dilemma!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/6/11 10:59 a.m.

I don't think I'd want to own a $12,500 E46 M3.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/6/11 11:02 a.m.

+1 on the pan/accumulator—The Toyota engines were having oiling issues in Celica autocross trim---so pull even more g's on the track and you'll starve it pretty quick.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/6/11 11:21 a.m.
Duke wrote: I don't think I'd want to own a $12,500 E46 M3.

I recently missed out on a decent 2001 M3 for cheaper than that. I don't need the debt right now, or another car, but it still makes me groan to pass up a deal.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
4/6/11 11:30 a.m.

Oooohhhh....you make my heart hurt...I want one so bad I can taste it.

Back in '07, I had a little more discretionary income than I do now (1 kid then....now have 3). I went back and forth for weeks between an Elise and a Viper. They are night and day in comparison, but I liked them both. In the end, I went with a Viper GT-S. While the car was stunning to look at, it wasn't much fun to drive. I always wished I had gone Elise. Now the funds are not there for one....

Go for it while you can!!!!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/6/11 11:46 a.m.
nderwater wrote:
Duke wrote: I don't think I'd want to own a $12,500 E46 M3.
I recently missed out on a decent 2001 M3 for cheaper than that. I don't need the debt right now, or another car, but it still makes me groan to pass up a deal.

Damn! Prices are plummeting. When I was shopping in 2006, I couldn't even find a used 330 ZHP anywhere in the US for less than $30k, let alone an M car.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/6/11 11:47 a.m.

they are twice as old now ...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/11 12:01 p.m.

Well, looks like my earlier response was eaten by our yoyo Internet connection. Thanks Charter.

Very carefully check the front and rear clamshells for damage, they cost a bomb to replace. Chassis damage is even worse, a bent chassis will mean you'll have to replace it as they're pretty much non-repairable due to their bonded structure. So have the car inspected by someone who knows these very well.

I owned an S1 Elise in the UK, they're great cars for tooling around. Some people even use them as a part-time DD - would be great for that out here in the mountains, but I found mine very noisy with the hardtop up. The S2 is supposedly better when it comes to interior noise levels, though.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/6/11 12:04 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: +1 on the pan/accumulator—The Toyota engines were having oiling issues in Celica autocross trim---so pull even more g's on the track and you'll starve it pretty quick.

Is this just an issue on the 2ZZ or does it affect the 1ZZ as well?

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/6/11 12:26 p.m.

Buy one. Replace battery with a Braille or something similar, keep jumper cables handy. Replace oil pan with upgrade. Have it professionally inspected.

You will love it. Incredible cars. I am dying for the day when I can afford one.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/6/11 12:51 p.m.

Both the 1zz and the 2zz. Just small bearings spinning above an unbaffled pan.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
4/6/11 12:59 p.m.

In trying to rationalize a recent car purchase I did the "what else offers as much performance for the $" and came across this:

http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Race-Car.html

...Which would be a lot of fun. Dedicated race cars were in the running as it was a race car I was considering. If streetable isn't a hard necessity this car may be a good fit.

That said - having hung out at VIR in 100+ degree weather for a weekend waiting for a ride home for me and the broken car I drove there from DC - trailering a car to events is pretty awesome.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/6/11 1:06 p.m.

They also develop cam issues so be ready to replace the cam as well.

The 2005 was the only drive by cable one, after that it went to drive by wire.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/6/11 1:33 p.m.
motomoron wrote: In trying to rationalize a recent car purchase I did the "what else offers as much performance for the $" and came across this: http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Race-Car.html

$19,900?!

dogbreath
dogbreath New Reader
4/6/11 1:41 p.m.

I think you're probably going to be reeeeally bored. Elises are more for picking up dog food and cake from the grocery store. If you want a track car then get something a little 'sportier.'

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/6/11 1:41 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
motomoron wrote: In trying to rationalize a recent car purchase I did the "what else offers as much performance for the $" and came across this: http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Race-Car.html
$19,900?!

That seems pretty well equiped for the track too... if its not wreck-repaired its a steal.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M31XaYk0U0a1tJFFkRdKTM24RD9ZijuCL626wv8VRdk4Ic0H3LgxseMavN6V2O30