1 2 3
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/6/11 1:47 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
nderwater wrote:
motomoron wrote: In trying to rationalize a recent car purchase I did the "what else offers as much performance for the $" and came across this: http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Race-Car.html
$19,900?!
That seems pretty well equiped for the track too... if its not wreck-repaired its a steal.

can almost guarantee that has been in a wreck before and has a rebuilt title, for that cheap. The only other Elises you will find for that much are sport pack's with a ton of miles on them...

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/6/11 1:58 p.m.

An Elise is on my short list of someday cars. Love depreciation, scared a bit by the chassis/clamshell costs. Would love to have one though.

Only time I drove one was in 2005 around the area surrounding PIR. Then got a ride-along in one w/ r-comps. Made my S2000 feel like a Buick by comparison.

alex
alex SuperDork
4/6/11 2:26 p.m.

My girlfriend wants one to DD. She's a little nuts. My only issue with such madness would be incidental/parking damage to the clamshells. Can they be repaired by a good 'glass guy, or are they just that big a pain in the ass?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/11 2:32 p.m.

A good glass guy can probable repair them but it's not easy. A small hole, probably, one that's well cracked and shattered is most likely cheaper to replace.

I'd also think that said glass guy would have to be pretty good at creating the repair section from scratch - IIRC you can't get sections of the clamshells, only the whole thing.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/6/11 2:45 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'd also think that said glass guy would have to be pretty good at creating the repair section from scratch - IIRC you can't get sections of the clamshells, only the whole thing.

yeup, they show up in a HUGE box, with shock indicators showing if there has been alot of tilting and vibrations. Ive had to check in atleast 20 of them at Lotus of Atlanta... used to climb inside the box and scare the crap out of my boss...

But anywho, yea, come in either the front or rear clam shells, the doors and rockers...

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/6/11 2:48 p.m.
alex wrote: My girlfriend wants one to DD. She's a little nuts. My only issue with such madness would be incidental/parking damage to the clamshells. Can they be repaired by a good 'glass guy, or are they just that big a pain in the ass?

Is your gf single?

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/6/11 4:23 p.m.
dogbreath wrote: I think you're probably going to be reeeeally bored. Elises are more for picking up dog food and cake from the grocery store. If you want a track car then get something a little 'sportier.'

I hope this was a joke....

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/6/11 4:28 p.m.

I'd be anything that race car is a rebuild, it looks like one of the r3 Motorsports cars, I'm pretty sure all of theirs are rebuilds... but I have been wrong before. I think that that car has been on and off the market for a while now, I recognize it from one of the Lotus forums.

However, for the track a rebuild isn't as big of a deal to most Lotus guys. I'd buy it if I could.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
4/6/11 4:42 p.m.

Why is the clam so hard to fix? Can you not use normal fiberglass materials and techniques?

I really want a chrome orange Elise. In fact I named my baby girl Elise. Hopefully by the end of this summer it is either going to be another Miata or a used Elise sitting in my garage.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/6/11 5:21 p.m.
speedblind wrote: Only time I drove one was in 2005 around the area surrounding PIR. Then got a ride-along in one w/ r-comps. Made my S2000 feel like a Buick by comparison.

Get this - a guy I went to school with had an Elise for a while and then sold it after buying an Ariel Atom. When I asked him how the two cars felt at the track he said that the difference was profound - after the Atom, driving the Elise at the limit felt like driving a stock Miata.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/6/11 7:42 p.m.

I bought a 2005 Elise last fall. I have had some pretty neat cars in my life and this car beats them all. It is a rock star to drive and live with plus it can outrun and outhandle any similar car unless you spend a whole lot money. It is reliable and cheap to own and operate except for the price of tires and clamshell repair. IM me and we can chat in better detail.

killjoy7
killjoy7 New Reader
4/6/11 8:35 p.m.
fastmiata wrote: I bought a 2005 Elise last fall. I have had some pretty neat cars in my life and this car beats them all. It is a rock star to drive and live with plus it can outrun and outhandle any similar car unless you spend a whole lot money. It is reliable and cheap to own and operate except for the price of tires and clamshell repair. IM me and we can chat in better detail.

Thanks. that's the kind of reassurance i need. 25-30k on a toy isn't cheap (ask my wife) but hell, you only live once

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/11 8:38 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
motomoron wrote: In trying to rationalize a recent car purchase I did the "what else offers as much performance for the $" and came across this: http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-Race-Car.html
$19,900?!

I have seen that car in the flesh. Wire Wheel had a second one, too, but it's already sold. I don't know the history of that particular car, but it got me thinking, too.

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/6/11 8:41 p.m.

This one has been tempting me for a while

http://www.midwaycarlot.com/newandusedcars/0/673244/7dfd27cd-2240-4749-b425-2684e4bb684e/none/2005-Lotus-Elise-KansasCity-MO-64120.aspx

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/11 8:43 p.m.

And a PS. At a cars and coffee event, my wife was once drawn to an Elise. I wonder, can she drive it to the office in heels?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/6/11 9:19 p.m.

Many Loti require you to remove your shoes before driving, depending on your shoe size and style. Europas in particular are noted for this. You know she needs it, David. You know you want to buy her one. What are you waiting for?

(We're enablers here, remember.)

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/6/11 9:35 p.m.
ronholm wrote: This one has been tempting me for a while http://www.midwaycarlot.com/newandusedcars/0/673244/7dfd27cd-2240-4749-b425-2684e4bb684e/none/2005-Lotus-Elise-KansasCity-MO-64120.aspx

Yeah I saw that one too, the dealer is apparently firm on price even thought they've had it for a while and it's not worth that much!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
4/7/11 6:37 p.m.

Damn, I wish I hadn't seen this thread. Now that voice is back in my head saying "want a Lotus, want a Lotus, want a Lotus".

I barely fought off the desire to buy a 2005 Elise two years ago. If only there was room in the garage...

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/8/11 12:01 a.m.

I showed my wife the wirewheel ad and she said that we already have three cars - I can call them when I've sold two.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/11 7:23 p.m.

my only problem with these is that as a 6'2" guy, I literally cannot get out of one! I have to do a crab-walk to get out from under the wheel. Otherwise...WANT

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
4/8/11 10:34 p.m.

Yup. On the basis of bang/bucks that $19.9k car would be pretty alright. But I was comparing it w/ a $10k Radical Prosport which will lap faster than a lot of cars costing 10x it's purchase price.

Still, for something which has a license plate an Elise would be badass.

Sizzlechest
Sizzlechest New Reader
4/9/11 10:24 a.m.

Sub'd. I'm also seriously considering an '05 as a 2nd vehicle (Evo DD). I've been in love w/them since the mid-90's S1, which we didn't get of course.

I assume you follow the chatter & prices on LT??

For issues to be aware of, I think I also saw something about the oil cooler lines that run embedded in the rockers, something about the fittings can fail. As mentioned you don't want the 2zz oil starving.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/9/11 1:13 p.m.

There seem to be two continuing issues:
1) failure of radiator/water lines 2) failure of oil cooler fittings From my reading most seem to be in cars that have been tracked so it may be a failure to anticipate and maintain thing. I keep inspecting both and dont see any signs of leakage. To a degree, failure would be aggravated by the cost of clam removal to gain access for repair. Since I plan on doing most repairs on this car, and have procured several repair manuals and CD;s, I hope that this isnt such a big deal for me. One of my original concerns with the car was that the nearest dealer is in Atlanta and I would hate to be like the other exotic owners in the area who have to have their cars taken on a flat bed to the dealer.

alex
alex SuperDork
4/9/11 3:41 p.m.

Which brings up an interesting question: aside from the body and 'frame,' just how much of these cars are all that exotic? The motor can't be that hard, being a Toyota, right? Anything else that a reasonably skilled wrench couldn't handle? I'd farm out any body/frame jobs like I would with any car, but the rest seems doable.

Is that assumption off base?

alex
alex UberDork
4/9/11 3:41 p.m.

Which brings up an interesting question: aside from the body and 'frame,' just how much of these cars are all that exotic? The motor can't be that hard, being a Toyota, right? Anything else that a reasonably skilled wrench couldn't handle? I'd farm out any body/frame jobs like I would with any car, but the rest seems doable.

Is that assumption off base?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5HatrfuZ7YVxMXTQojLCFKxAJoPf3W0Qy2uPnM0ITEx5n3mBX6aRf3nBkgTZXOX5