1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/26/10 2:13 p.m.

So I was flipping through a regional auto trader style magazine, and there is an auction advertised with a few interesting vehicles. I got onto the website and this is what it says about them:

Auction site said: Three Unique Prototype Cars (Patent #5366034 Impact Energy Dissipation Vehicle) based on the following vehicles: 1980 Yamaha 1100 Midnight Special, 1998 Ford Taurus 12K miles, 1994 Pontiac Cutlass Sierra 117K miles.

Here's some pics:

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/26/10 2:15 p.m.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/26/10 2:15 p.m.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/26/10 2:18 p.m.

The trader ad also lists them as "anti-fatality vehicles". So how is ti supposed to work? In case of an accident, the cage separates and rolls until you hit something else? I don't get it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
10/26/10 2:21 p.m.

Looks to me like something leftover from Top Gear.

EricM
EricM Dork
10/26/10 2:23 p.m.

twilight zone?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
10/26/10 2:27 p.m.

I would say bored, drunk, high, & rednecked influence

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/26/10 2:31 p.m.

Lawn Art. Someone's ganking you.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/10 2:37 p.m.

Google turned up this description:

Abstract: A vehicle has a passenger compartment suspended between two wheels mounted at the ends of a single axle that is perpendicular to the direction of travel. The passenger compartment is mounted beneath the axle so as to allow the passenger compartment to repeatedly rotate in an unconstrained manner about the axle upon impact of the vehicle with another object so as to convert linear momentum of the vehicle into self-extinguishing angular momentum in order to dissipate energy and reduce injury to passengers in the passenger compartment.

I think I'd take my chances with linear momentum after seeing these "vehicles."

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/26/10 2:37 p.m.

I don't know, but in a weird burst of synchronicity, I was just listening to "The Midnight Special" when I opened this thread for the first time.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
10/26/10 2:43 p.m.
PS122 wrote: Google turned up this description: Abstract: A vehicle has a passenger compartment suspended between two wheels mounted at the ends of a single axle that is perpendicular to the direction of travel. The passenger compartment is mounted beneath the axle so as to allow the passenger compartment to repeatedly rotate in an unconstrained manner about the axle upon impact of the vehicle with another object so as to convert linear momentum of the vehicle into self-extinguishing angular momentum in order to dissipate energy and reduce injury to passengers in the passenger compartment. I think I'd take my chances with linear momentum after seeing these "vehicles."

"Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed!"

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
10/26/10 3:34 p.m.

Just like the 'egg-drop' competition back in school.

You might not die, but you'll vomit for hours after you get out of that tilt-a-whirl.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
10/26/10 3:46 p.m.

i was thinking a Racing Simulator....LOL put them in your living room

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/26/10 3:53 p.m.

Suddenly I'm hankerin' for a good ole demolition derby

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/10 5:23 p.m.

good gods.. can you imagine the momentium from a 50+mph head on converted to spinning?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/26/10 5:27 p.m.

Whats the high bid? It would be hilarious to pin the gas pedal down and aim one sans driver at something solid.

alex
alex SuperDork
10/26/10 5:46 p.m.

I like the octagonal ones - add bone-jarring bumps to the disorienting spinning. It'd be like tumbling in a broken clothes dryer full of vomit.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/10 6:03 p.m.

And tell me again exactly what happens in a side impact from a truck whose driver is distracted looking at all that crap???

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/26/10 6:05 p.m.

I think the octagonal ones spin the passenger compartment around a vertical axis while the round ones spin the compartment around a horizontal axis. I actually really want to see one tested.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/10 6:13 p.m.

I think they give endless opportunity for the operator to vomit both before entering and while inside.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
10/26/10 6:47 p.m.

16vCorey wrote-- "The trader ad also lists them as "anti-fatality vehicles".

For the occupants, perhaps.

As for any observers, passers-by, etc...I think not..because I just berkleying died laughing.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/10 6:55 p.m.

"Side Impact Ejector Apparatus"

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/26/10 7:35 p.m.

Hey, I think that's the "safe" motorcycle the government designed back in about '79.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/10 7:50 p.m.

looks like a hamster wheel. and for some reason, I have this mental picture of the momentum from the gondola thing picking the vehicle up off the ground and hurling it uncontrollably forward... picture your thumb getting stuck in a bowling ball when you try to release it and that's generally what I'm picturing happening with these hamster wheels

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/10 8:10 p.m.

I'm picturing the welds breaking (shouldn't be hard), and the whole darned contraption catapulting over the offending obstruction, then accelerating to untold rpms of death rolling down the street while some drunk redneck fool stuck inside the pod (which is bent, and therefore does not swing freely, but rather rotates uncontrollably with the rest of the hamster wheel) cries "Mamaaaa"!

But, maybe it's just me...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hGNp2NMVqcUCzj1BKhAFzmKI2pZY54cfSwIIFT97GId6teX2KGZlplNAUitmr7wc