1 2 3 4
red5_02
red5_02 Reader
11/7/12 4:37 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Has anybody punished the pseudo-LSD in the Focus ST to see if it can handle prolonged abuse? Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have a mechanical differential in there.

This is the car's downfall. For guys autocross the car I see lots of uneven pad wear.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/7/12 5:11 p.m.
red5_02 wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Has anybody punished the pseudo-LSD in the Focus ST to see if it can handle prolonged abuse? Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have a mechanical differential in there.
This is the car's downfall. For guys autocross the car I see lots of uneven pad wear.

I am assuming this is a prediction or you are actually pointing out something owners have been seeing

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/7/12 6:01 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Since when did mag comparo's pull off mid-13's in a MS3..... Its all subjective.......people are generally going to buy whatever they please, if you buy a car for the 12hp only, you're either a mindless person or a frat boy(most people I see with wrx/sti/ft86)...... Each vehicle pulls a different crowd of the segment.

I stand corrected....looks like the MS3 runs low 14s in the 1/4 in most mag tests in the new body style. The original body style ran 14 flats. For some reason I thought it was faster than that.

And most car buyers ARE mindless sheep (everyone here excepted, of course....). Do you disagree?

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/7/12 6:04 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
Joshua wrote: It is way outperformed by the WRX.
...but it's faster than the WRX around a track? People's definition of "performance" is really odd these days.

People on this site usually consider the Miata to be the epitome of "great track car." Doesn't mean its "faster" than many, many cars out there.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/7/12 6:07 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Scoobies aren't subtle.......period.

In general, I would agree. But The 08-10 WRX sedan in stock form was pretty damn subtle. They look like a Corolla..70k miles in mine and I've never gotten the slightest bit of police attention. That's why I bought the 09 sedan....good performance, subtle looks. I wouldn't have bought a WRX if they hadn't come out with the slick-sided sedans in 08-10. I don't want my DD to have a big wing and flared fenders, for the exact reasons you note above.

stock 08 WRX....hardly boy-racerish IMO....

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/7/12 9:13 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote:
Joshua wrote: It is way outperformed by the WRX.
...but it's faster than the WRX around a track? People's definition of "performance" is really odd these days.
People on this site usually consider the Miata to be the epitome of "great track car." Doesn't mean its "faster" than many, many cars out there.

I think that is for 3 main reasons

1) its a a great driver involvement car

2) its somewhat disposable

3) the track is the best place for pushing the limits of driving

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/8/12 4:18 p.m.

This Edmunds review mentions soft brakes after a hard run that required little actual braking. I would much rather have a real LSD. This psuedo LSD sounds like a nanny system. The GTI uses the same style system, me no likee in theory.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus-st/2013/road-test1.html

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/8/12 4:55 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote:
This Edmunds review mentions soft brakes after a hard run that required little actual braking. I would much rather have a real LSD. This psuedo LSD sounds like a nanny system. The GTI uses the same style system, me no likee in theory. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus-st/2013/road-test1.html

sounds like the ATRAC/TRAC system that Toyota has been using on several trucks/SUVs for a few years now...."electronic LSD."

I've found it to be utterly useless in snow in our 4runner. No idea how it would be on a track (since a 4Runner is never gonna see a track!)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/12 5:00 p.m.

Word on the street by people who have actually bought and tracked/AX'd the ST is the e-diff is a deal-breaker in real track work. Wears out the brakes very quickly (and lots of heat), doesn't work consistently, and performs poorly in under-ideal conditions (rain, low temps, loose surfaces).

A few are talking some sort of mechanical LSD swap (torsen, etc) and one is thinking of trading it back in already. None report issues on the street.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
11/9/12 10:34 a.m.

Isn't it great that there are so any choices so that everyone can get the car of their choice.

My 2011 Fiesta has traction control whch works on the same braking principle. H aven't really driven it in anger except for two auto crosses.

If you turn the traction control off on the Focus does that eliminate the 'limited slip principle" ?

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
11/9/12 10:54 a.m.
Jaynen wrote:
red5_02 wrote:
I am assuming this is a prediction or you are actually pointing out something owners have been seeing

It was a prediction but the fact that the posts after me support my theory proves that I am in fact a prophet. Hear me my people for I bring you the truth...damn it's a slow day at work.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/9/12 11:30 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
yamaha wrote: Scoobies aren't subtle.......period.
In general, I would agree. But The 08-10 WRX sedan in stock form was pretty damn subtle. They look like a Corolla..70k miles in mine and I've never gotten the slightest bit of police attention. That's why I bought the 09 sedan....good performance, subtle looks. I wouldn't have bought a WRX if they hadn't come out with the slick-sided sedans in 08-10. I don't want my DD to have a big wing and flared fenders, for the exact reasons you note above. stock 08 WRX....hardly boy-racerish IMO....

I meant by the noise generated once an exhaust is installed(arguably the first thing every owner does first to them)

irish44j wrote: I stand corrected....looks like the MS3 runs low 14s in the 1/4 in most mag tests in the new body style. The original body style ran 14 flats. For some reason I thought it was faster than that. And most car buyers ARE mindless sheep (everyone here excepted, of course....). Do you disagree?

They are mindless sheep.....and I'm betting you're thinking of the Mazdaspeed 6, those would pull 13's all day stock.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/9/12 11:39 a.m.

I participated in the one of the Focus ST drive events and you could smell the hot brakes from the pseudo LSD. It totally turned me off to the car.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/9/12 11:45 a.m.

Wonder if the effect can be tuned out via the computer? If it truly over activates the brakes, maybe more race oriented pad can used as it will heat quicker etc.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/9/12 2:47 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I meant by the noise generated once an exhaust is installed(arguably the first thing every owner does first to them)

hah, I bought mine with the "SPT" package that has the full stainless catback and a bit more rumble to it (but still perfectly legal!). I've never thought of it as being loud or ricey like some subies people have though.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/9/12 3:09 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Scoobies just stand out for the exhaust note......most around here(even normal impreza's) have exhausts that make my SHO sound quiet. Most IMHO sound worse too.....

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
11/9/12 5:23 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to irish44j: Scoobies just stand out for the exhaust note......most around here(even normal impreza's) have exhausts that make my SHO sound quiet. Most IMHO sound worse too.....

I think the induction and mechanical great sounds Subie motors make are great- the exhaust sounds is very industrial. A expensive STI will a loud exuast sounds worse than fart can hondas. to my ear anyway.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LxvddUTASDWmO6GTYlJn7W5SGRk9uqnJ9USbvUVOOKTnuL367WaGU0tRqMEu4Mx0