1 2 3
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/22/12 10:29 a.m.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/ten-desirable-used-cars-that-are-impossible-to-find.html?page=1

Cliff Notes:

10 - Isuzu Impulse

9 - Any Merkur

8 - Renault LeCar

7 - Nissan NX2000

6 - Honda CRX in original condition

5 - Dodge Rampage

4 - Acura Legend

3 - Fiat X1/9

2 - Volkswagen Sciroccos

1 - Mitsubishi Starion / Dodge Conquest

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
3/22/12 10:30 a.m.

That looks suspiciously like they stole it from Jalopnik's AOTD...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/12 10:31 a.m.

I think the AW11 deserves a spot in there better than a few of those...

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/22/12 10:38 a.m.

A Renault Le Car is desireable? I mean, I know they'd be well loved with you lot (and let's face it, i'd clone an r5 with the quickness if I got a decent Le Car shell) but let's be realistic here. No one wanted those when they were NEW.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
3/22/12 10:39 a.m.

I've got an '88 Scirocco 16v for sale.....

It's rare :P

mw
mw HalfDork
3/22/12 10:44 a.m.

Other than the crx, I don't mind not being able to find any of the rest of that list.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
3/22/12 10:50 a.m.

I'd like a Ford Durango, please. Not much cooler than a foxbody Ute. Oh the endless possibilities...

*useless edit: Ford had a Durango, Chevy used the Durango name as a package on the S10, and then the Dodge Durango most people know/remember. Weird...

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/22/12 10:51 a.m.
Brotus7 wrote: I've got an '88 Scirocco 16v for sale..... It's rare :P

How much do you want for it?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/22/12 11:26 a.m.

Lol,

Own a Merkur, want an X1/9, Star/Quest, NX2000, Impulse...

I think I must have a penchant for forgotten cars...

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/22/12 11:37 a.m.

One of the cars I drove in High School was a 1972 Toyota Corolla. Been looking for a couple of years for another one, pretty hard to find.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/22/12 11:50 a.m.

If i can find an Impulse, it would be an impulse buy for me...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/22/12 11:52 a.m.

I am really trying to figure out how the Legend fits in that list.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/22/12 11:57 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I am really trying to figure out how the Legend fits in that list.

You driven one? They last FOR-FRIGGIN'-EVER, great cars, feel great, extremely well-built.

I would LOVE a late 6spd Legend as a DD. There's guys taking those past 300k miles on original clutch.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
3/22/12 12:02 p.m.

I'd add 70s Mazda rotarys to the list. They all got used up and tossed before they became desirable. Go for decent money now. Fiat X1/9s seem common enough still.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/22/12 12:04 p.m.

Legend and CRX in original condition are both cars that you can find any day of the week on any Craiglist in any decent sized city. I have no idea how those got there.

The rest of them aren't even rare, they're just less easy to find than a 1992 Corolla. Rare is a Borgward Isabella, not some 80's/90's Japanese car with 10,000+ of them still out there. "Impossible" to find is massive hyperbole. It's not even difficult.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/22/12 12:05 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I am really trying to figure out how the Legend fits in that list.
You driven one? They last FOR-FRIGGIN'-EVER, great cars, feel great, extremely well-built. I would LOVE a late 6spd Legend as a DD. There's guys taking those past 300k miles on original clutch.

It's not a question of whether they're good cars, it's a question of are they "impossible to find." There's 13 of them on my local Craigslist right now. There always is.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/22/12 12:06 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
You driven one? They last FOR-FRIGGIN'-EVER, great cars, feel great, extremely well-built. I would LOVE a late 6spd Legend as a DD. There's guys taking those past 300k miles on original clutch.
It's not a question of whether they're good cars, it's a question of are they "impossible to find." There's 13 of them on my local Craigslist right now. There always is.

This. Most of the cars really aren't that hard to find. The Rampage and the Le Car are though.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/22/12 12:08 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Legend and CRX in original condition are both cars that you can find any day of the week on any Craiglist in any decent sized city. I have no idea how those got there. The rest of them aren't even rare, they're just less easy to find than a 1992 Corolla. Rare is a Borgward Isabella, not some 80's/90's Japanese car with 10,000+ of them still out there. "Impossible" to find is massive hyperbole. It's not even difficult.

I live in Indy, please find me either of those cars in any respectable condition.

You have your choices of:

1) Gross 2) automatic
3) Gross AND automatic

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=crx&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=legend&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/22/12 12:10 p.m.

What CRX's that are left around here that ARENT chopped up, are rapidly returning to the earth.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/22/12 12:13 p.m.

Starquests are #1? The first result on a Google search will get you starquestclub.com, who have a huge active classifieds section, with usually a few cars at any given time that are downright steals. Whoever wrote that doesn't know how to look.

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/22/12 12:14 p.m.

I really like the original Legend coupe, have ridden in one and would happily DD one (if I didn't already own something else). And I've also heard of stupidly high mileages on these cars and they still look pretty great. Glory days for Acura are definitely in the past....

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/22/12 12:15 p.m.

@92Celica: Forget the Acura, I think this is a better daily driver:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2909258186.html

Awwww yeah!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
3/22/12 12:21 p.m.

I think I own an even more hard to find car/truck or two. My REPU is really hens teeth material in most of the country but especially in New England. RX-7's aren't rare per se but clean ones that aren't rusty or modded by some douchebag kid are, and mine is a one year only color so maybe rare. I bet my Mitsu van is dam nnear impossible to find, but I wouldn't consider it desirable to anyone aside from maybe me.

How about the ultra rare Acura Vigor? Seemed like decent cars and I never see them around ever.

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
3/22/12 12:32 p.m.

1 on that list shouid be an unmolested, lower mileage, well cared for 5-spd. 240sx. And the Celica All-Trac belongs on there too.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/22/12 12:51 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I think I own an even more hard to find car/truck or two. My REPU is really hens teeth material in most of the country but especially in New England. RX-7's aren't rare per se but clean ones that aren't rusty or modded by some douchebag kid are, and mine is a one year only color so maybe rare. I bet my Mitsu van is dam nnear impossible to find, but I wouldn't consider it desirable to anyone aside from maybe me. How about the ultra rare Acura Vigor? Seemed like decent cars and I never see them around ever.

The Vigor was ok... but the Legend was a far superior car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M5bIdWsJQLQJRCUMt7vtbPbJd5Z526iNL9rkMcljMeFuQWvMwUSnRSK1LhykQBb6