1 2
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/23/15 9:53 p.m.

You know, maybe im missing something but i dont understand how a TSX isn't mostly just a slower accord (assuming you got the v6 in the accord) with a higher price tag. I feel like i've seen just as nice of interiors in Accords as TSXs and i dont think the looks are anything to write home about.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/15 9:28 a.m.

We cross shopped the TSX and the Accord (both engines) when we bought our 2004 TSX. I actually prefer the looks of the TSX by far, but that's subjective, so it's worth exactly that.

The TSX was built on the Euor Accord platform, so it's a little, well, trimmer, for want of a better word. It's smaller physically, a little lighter, and the suspension and driving feel is a lot better than the American Accord (at least in the 2004-2008 version). It's just crisper and more focused, but still comfortable. Even with the 5-speed autobox, the K24 is not slow. With the 6-speed it's even better. The TSX may lose decimal seconds to the V6 Accord, but it sure as heck doesn't feel like it when you're driving them. On back-to-back test drives I couldn't detect any usable difference in performance.

The 2004 TSX is my wife's DD. Mine is a 2003 BMW 325i sport pak, that I bought in 2006. The TSX was good enough that I was seriously shopping 6-speed versions when I bought my car. If the TSX wasn't FWD, I probably would have bought one too.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/24/15 3:37 p.m.

Well the difference between a v6/6spd accord and a 2.4/6spd TSX is pretty huge in terms of sheer acceleration. The v6/6spd accord goes low 14s at almost 100mph in a 1/4 mile. I'd be surprised if the TSX broke 90 mph (brief googling suggests it doesnt). Obviously the value of this depends on how much time you spend actually going fast. I googled v6 accord vs tsx and apparently this is or was a pretty common discussion on acura forums. I think this guy covered it:

It's really up to you if the nice extras of the Acura are worth more to you than the V6. That coupe really goes. That's all great for a test drive, but for the way I really drive, the 200hp four is plenty.

A lot of people really don't care that much about the huge power difference. I'm fine with that. I drive a lot of cars way slower than a TSX. I'm just one of the guys that would buy a v6 Accord.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/15 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

The V6 Accord is undoubtedly quicker. But driving them back to back 10 years ago, we bought the TSX. And in 10 years of driving the TSX a couple times a week, I have never said, "What this thing really needs is another 60 horsepower."

There is a V6 TSX in the second generation, but that entails looking at a modern Acura every day and knowing you bought it anyway.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
2/24/15 6:06 p.m.

Accord V6 or even the big 4 hustles. Accord for primarily one reason

5 year retention

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/24/15 7:31 p.m.

The first gen CTS is close in the mpg area, and good in driving dynamics and reliability. They are probably cheaper to maintain than a comparable 5-series.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
2/24/15 10:34 p.m.

What's all this talk of Hondas when one of the requirements is fun? Modern Hondas are not fun to drive.

Highly recommend a Mazda3, Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima or Mazda6.
The G35 or CTS would be awesome but won't meet the desired MPG.

Storz
Storz Dork
2/25/15 9:06 a.m.

What about a used Impreza 2.5RS?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/15 9:33 a.m.

To me, the biggest issue is the 5 years that this car must serve as a DD reliably. If you are looking at anything with 120,000+ miles (to get into this price range) and you plan to add another 80,000+ miles over 5 years you could be looking at a lot of nickel and dime repairs.

Looking locally, Civics and Accords are around 140,000 miles in that price range. The most common cars with decent prices and lower miles are the Ford Taurus SES and Chevy Cobalt. Neither exactly a fun commuter. However, I did find a 68,000 mile Huyndai Tiburon for $6500 that would fit the bill if it were me.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
2/25/15 3:53 p.m.

If he had good luck with a Protege, I'd say keep it in the family and go with a 3 sedan: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=63101&endYear=2016&modelCode1=MAZDA3&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=MAZDA&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=7000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BMAZDA%5BMAZDA3%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=387148322&Log=0

Also, i'd say an Elantra sedan or hatchback: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/cars+under+7000/Hyundai/Elantra/Saint+Louis+MO-63101?endYear=2016&makeCode1=HYUND&maxPrice=7000&mmt=%5BHYUND%5BELANTR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=ELANTR&searchRadius=100&showcaseListingId=393602648&showcaseOwnerId=767129&startYear=1981&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&Log=0

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/26/15 1:48 p.m.

I'm really enjoying my Saturn Astra. Yup, that's the GM recession orphan that only lasted 08 and part of 09. It's basically a Vauxhall/Opel Astra with a Saturn badge, so it handles much nicer than your run-of-the-mill econo-hatch. It can usually top HS class at your local autocross, unless a Mini shows up. Please pardon the Midwest...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xro4sPoQh8u9NHgLYJRkuz2L9FLuN1ZUFvezERKtS2JcvULbDZtsE38fMmv8mMpL