Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/27/23 12:16 p.m.
feature_image

Finding an unmodified Honda CRX can be a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. Lucky for you, we found the needle.

This 1986 Honda CRX is said to have been regularly maintained by the seller’s late father up until the early 2000s, when it was rolled into the garage. The Honda then sat for a little more than …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/27/23 1:20 p.m.

Dang. 

David S. Wallens
9/27/23 1:56 p.m.

And not an Si but, at this point, do we care? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/23 2:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

In the world of modern performance, the difference is pretty much academic, no?

David S. Wallens
9/27/23 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thinking more of the specialness vs. the performance. Although, these days, any torsion bar Civic/CRX is pretty special. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/23 2:14 p.m.

I think we care a bit that it's not an Si :)

The seller is definitely going for the high end of the CRX market from what I've seen. It's unmodified and in pretty good shape, but meh photos, a dirty car and non-running makes the starting price a little optimistic. Give it a detail, get some good photos in a good location and try to start it with a fresh battery and it'll be a much easier sell.

Right color scheme, though :) I always preferred the grey lower panels over the monochromatic ones.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/27/23 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Didnt you have a revival/build/fun thread running for a time with a similar CRX?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/27/23 2:49 p.m.

I agree that the price seems a little optimistic, though I'm sold on the colors.

David S. Wallens
9/27/23 2:55 p.m.

Just the price. Yeah, dang. 

Keith Tanner
9/27/23 3:00 p.m.
4cylndrfury said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Didnt you have a revival/build/fun thread running for a time with a similar CRX?

Why yes I do. Mine's an 85 Si in the same color scheme. 
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/life-with-a-1985-crx-si/89950/page1/

Mine's mostly stock. Some later CRX brakes, a rear sway bar, aftermarket shocks, camber plates and wheels. Here it is a couple of months ago at a track day. It always gets a lot of attention.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
9/28/23 8:12 a.m.

I still have the C/D comparison test they did between this car, a Fiero, and whatever else was a hot subcompact back in '86.  The CRX trounced all comers.  This is my fav. color combo on this car, though I somehow prefer the rectangular headlamps over the sealed beams.  

But, gah, I remember when these were $1k beaters.  

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
9/28/23 8:38 a.m.

That's pretty much my first car except for the blue paint instead of silver.  I miss that car, but not as much as they are asking.

David S. Wallens
9/28/23 9:28 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I still have the C/D comparison test they did between this car, a Fiero, and whatever else was a hot subcompact back in '86.  The CRX trounced all comers.  This is my fav. color combo on this car, though I somehow prefer the rectangular headlamps over the sealed beams.  

But, gah, I remember when these were $1k beaters.  

I remember those days, too. I paid less than $1500 for my ’86 Civic Si: clean, stock, no rust. Even the paint was decent. 

Keith Tanner
9/28/23 10:03 a.m.

They're still more likely to be $1k beaters than $8800. There's a difference between asking and selling price. Note that this car hasn't attracted a $7500 starting bid yet, and I'd be surprised if it did.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L8jyBjJrPbm8YWHNKyb037ZOIDOoCKBvGgOhupOJt3JJXPt9sFjdRIHojYZIG4gF