1 2
kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/22/24 11:45 a.m.

As a teen, that movie was the first time I thought, "that's a really ugly car." Half a century later, my opinion is unchanged.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/22/24 1:14 p.m.

I watched this movie again recently and I actually enjoyed it - yes it's low budget but still fun, and Annie Potts is hot!

As for the car, I thought it was weird then, and I haven't changed my opinion since.....

cholmes
cholmes New Reader
3/22/24 1:35 p.m.

I re-watched this movie a couple months ago, mainly because I'm a fan of Annie Potts. She was hilarious in Ghost Busters, and later, Young Sheldon.

You know, Corvette Summer is not a cringe-inducing movie. B-grade and predictable plot, yes, but overall fairly entertaining. Hamill and Potts did a good job, there's some funny stuff. It's kinda fun to look back at Vegas in the 70's, and at the other cars from back then. Yes, I'm old enough to remember seeing the movie in the theater.

Even back then I thought the Vette looked ridiculous.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
3/22/24 1:41 p.m.

"Although Mark Hamill is not included in the sale..." LOL  The coffee thrust through my nostrils really burns, but the quote and laughter were worth it.

Note: The car would be worth even less if Mark Hamill were included in the sale. My $0.02 indecision

redtanrt10
redtanrt10 New Reader
3/22/24 3:45 p.m.

It's was a fun movie when I was in high school.  That Vette was too over the top customized but had plenty of passion   Wow, Annie Potts was so hot 46 years ago!!  Still a sexy grandmother on the Young Sheldon TV show   GLWS, I think he needs to include dinner with both Mark & Annie!

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/22/24 3:53 p.m.

After reading this thread yesterday, we watched the movie last night. It didn't suck. Much better than some other car movies that people fixate on.

Annie Potts kept my eyes glued to the screen too.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/24 5:18 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

The wheel was moved to the right mostly so they could shoot Hamill having conversations out the window with people on the sidewalk. The actual execution was horrifying, with a chain drive for the steering and some mail-truck style controls for the pedals.

Not saying I'd prefer chain drive if it could be avoided, but it's been used by OEMs for low-volume RHD conversions before (FSJ, etc.).

Then again, steering feel wasn't exactly a focal point in even a normal FSJ, so it may have been a case of good enough being good enough. 

I rewatched Corvette Summer a few years back. It was less awful than I remembered. My wife refused to watch it with me. She didn't want to tarnish her perception of her beloved Luke Skywalker.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/22/24 5:58 p.m.

Maybe you could get Mark Hamill to buy the car. He spends a lot of time posting on X lately. Somebody should link this thread.

Of course you could get the same result with a wrecked C3, a case of whiskey and 50 pounds of chopper glass. You might even get a better result.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/24 6:51 p.m.

It's a berkeleying Datsun!

--Danny

te72
te72 HalfDork
3/23/24 1:31 a.m.

$75k for this thing? Man, this guy must be a real Joker...

I'll see myself out. =P

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/24 10:06 a.m.
te72 said:

$75k for this thing? Man, this guy must be a real Joker...

I'll see myself out. =P

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/24 11:09 a.m.

I remember watching this movie on cable as a kid in the early '80s. I loved cars and I loved Star Wars ... so I was excited. Even as a 6 year-old I was massively disappointed 

It's funny, but I also remember how Mark Hamil screamed his way through his lines. Just like Luke Skywalker!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/23/24 1:09 p.m.

As a teen, the preview showed it was not really a car movie, so I wouldn't have bothered. But had just seen star wars. So I went. Disappointed, but not the worst movie I've paid to see...

te72
te72 HalfDork
3/23/24 1:42 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad somebody did, that's what matters. =P

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fXoK42IX8KuBMii1NZ3pl3JltvSBVDiQeQZ6uMSkqhPmEVViBOZysdt47ZFUtr8Y