Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/6/24 9:01 a.m.
feature_image

What this Chevy truck lacks in towing ability, it makes up for in being able to land some really sweet jumps.

Built by Danny Thompson Motorsports for the Grand National Sport Truck short track off-road racing series created by Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group, this stadium racer is believed to be the only privately-owned example in the U.S.

Powering the Chevy …

Read the rest of the story

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/24 11:53 a.m.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I had the record on that game at the local arcade. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/24 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Were you ASS, POO, or DIK?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/24 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

DUH.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/24 5:42 p.m.

S10, so much want.

Video game, spent enough to nearly buy the truck!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/24 6:29 p.m.

That's freakin awesome.  Mildly bummed it's an auction and not a private sale. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/6/24 7:01 p.m.

I've seen that truck, Danny lives a few miles from me.  It has unbelievably soft suspension (but with amazing shocks).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

It's my understanding that they sit that low at rest because they rely heavily on compression damping for ride height.

Not too many rough patches in a freshly laid down stadium but lots of jumps, so this kind of makes sense.

It's a shame all the photos have succumbed to link rot, on SpecialStage someone bought an old Toyota stadium truck with an eye for using it for stage rallies out west.  The front suspension had a really cool multi-progressive torsion bar arrangement, there were three or four torsion bars inline with each other and a series of adjuster cams (porkchops) that would contact as the suspension compressed.  Between choosing different bars and different contacting points it looked very adjustable and also really easy to get lost in the tuning.  The rear suspension was even more cool/bizarre, it was a magnesium case Dana 60 from a Dodge van, that was sprung with a torsion bar on the frame, and the linkage between the two was a roller arrangement that worked on a curved tube, to make it progressive.  Looked like a math nerd's dream or nightmare.  The shocks were also arranged to be highly progressive, or digressive, or something.

The biggest issue was that the dry sump tank was next to the driver, which is kind of a no no for rally cars.

(edit to add link to the sadly pictureless thread)

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/7/24 1:25 a.m.

Trucks like this are why I refuse to own a Taco, or a half ton Chevy or Ford... This sort of thing would be perfect for where I live, makes way more sense than the race cars, when everything is covered in dirt.

...and why would I wanna do something that makes sense? =P

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95SDk2Nw7HtGg4dSij29ArnX21kNSfHR8vG67EFIHPEKWMQj6xwPkmZ90527ocRJ