Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/24 12:40 p.m.
feature_image

While “sports sedan” isn’t what most people thought of when looking at the Ford Contour, the folks at Ford’s skunkworks, the Special Vehicle Team, apparently saw some potential.

The result? The SVT Contour, a hopped-up sedan that could be bought from a Ford dealership near you.

This particular example, a final-year model rated at 200 horsepower, is billed as one …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/24 12:44 p.m.

Wow, can’t recall the last time seeing one in that color. As I recall, our test car was dark red. 

Cool car. I remember the shifter feeling precise. 

Sadly, as I remember, the Contour also cost about the same as a Taurus, meaning it wasn’t seen as a good deal by most people. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/20/24 2:21 p.m.

Wow, under 80,000 miles and $6,500?  I see no significant damage or even any evidence of tin worm.  Someone with better eyes and more knowledge about these cars please tell me what's wrong with it. 
I had a friend who was an accomplished driver (and rider of motorcycles) who generally didn't like fwd cars...but he loved both the SVT Contour and the Taurus SVO.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
9/20/24 2:33 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Wow, under 80,000 miles and $6,500?  I se no significant damage or even any evidence of tin worm.  Someone with better eyes and more knowledge about these cars please tell me what's wrong with it. 
I had a friend who was an accomplished driver (and rider of motorcycles) who generally didn't like fwd cars...but he loved both the SVT Contour and the Taurus SVO.

Few know what "SVT" means, probably hard to find some parts, it's... still a fwd Ford Contour so anyone shopping for a used small sporty sedan from that era is going to look for a BMW E46.

I think they are awesome. And it still bugs me that Ford won't stick with a consistent branding for their factory hot-rod models.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/24 2:43 p.m.

My 2000 CSVT was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. Quick, pretty good handling, comfy, and reasonably efficient. It was a great DD that also saw duty as a track day car and autocrosser.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hAc9GtcpUHEHom8F9yPJWRFhPgp9I7BgZ6xUBjjhNoUGOO8piEQ1xnXhIwCmg8H0