Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/20/23 1:09 p.m.
feature_image

Are all retired cop cars created equal? This 2002 Camaro Z28 for sale was previously used by the Florida Highway Patrol.

Not long before current ownership, the Z28 is said to have been used by the FHP for “special details and events” like the Florida State Fair for over 10 years.

The seller also notes that in addition to retaining …

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/20/23 2:02 p.m.

I remember when the New York State troopers used these on the Southern State Parkway. They seemed incredibly quick and nimble.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/20/23 2:43 p.m.

Man I love me some B4C. I was >< close to buying a 92 B4C.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/20/23 2:51 p.m.

I want it, and I don't at the same time. FHP is notorious for hating on cars that are painted up like theirs. I wouldn't want to be caught out in this thing, and I definitely would not want to repaint it- which would severely limit my ability to use it. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/20/23 4:21 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I want it, and I don't at the same time. FHP is notorious for hating on cars that are painted up like theirs. I wouldn't want to be caught out in this thing, and I definitely would not want to repaint it- which would severely limit my ability to use it. 

That's also why I'm kinda surprised that the lights and sirens work. I thought that was a big no-no to have those.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/23 4:34 p.m.

I has both a FLP Crown Vic and a 5.0 Mustang.

Drove the debadged, but still painted in FLP colors. Crown Vic from Charlotte to Daytona.

Never got pass that whole trip !!!!

Great choice of a used car.

YRMV

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/20/23 4:57 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
Mndsm said:

That's also why I'm kinda surprised that the lights and sirens work. I thought that was a big no-no to have those.

So here's the kicker. Nearest I can tell, they don't care about those. I've been doin' some reading- and it's NOT illegal to own a light bar. Plenty of construction vehicles and the like do so- as well as security and whatnot. (I want one if I ever buy a 9c1 holden caprice). Disney even has them. OBVIOUSLY it's illegal to operate blue and red on a public roadway. If you're a central Florida native, you've undoubtedly heard of Jeremy Dewitte- a Florida Mans' Florida Man- famous for being arrested for impersonating an officer...dozens of times. TECHNICALLY his vehicles were never illegal- he ran purple. Anyways- FHP's whole schtick is the paint scheme. Because they're so distinctive with the tan and the black- they consider it propietary and impersonation if you paint your car, or wrap it that way. Obviously you can't just do "white" and say it's a cop car, but THAT color scheme is readily apparent, and I guess they've been cracking down on it lately. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/20/23 5:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Hold my beer and watch this!

Yea.  I almost call bullE36 M3 because I've been going to equipment auctions for many moons where the FHP dumps its cars and they always have a crap paint job and all the police stuff removed.  If you even got caught with this thing on a trailer you are going to the clink.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
11/20/23 6:53 p.m.

Autotragic

Will
Will UberDork
11/21/23 7:39 p.m.

Michigan Highway Patrol tested the LS1 B4C cars to 170+ mph. They're no joke.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/21/23 8:53 p.m.

2023 Florida Statute 321.03:

Imitations prohibited; penalty.—Unless specifically authorized by the Florida Highway Patrol, a person in the state shall not color or cause to be colored any motor vehicle or motorcycle the same or similar color as the color or colors so prescribed for the Florida Highway Patrol. A person who violates this section or s. 321.02 with respect to uniforms, emblems, motor vehicles and motorcycles commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082or s. 775.083. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall employ such clerical help and mechanics as may be necessary for the economical and efficient operation of such department.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/21/23 9:36 p.m.

I recall seeing some FHP cars at FHP station in orlando that were being retired. They had all the lights and goodies removed, decals peeled off and if i remember right, some crummy rattle can paint to break up the tan on black. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KORVu137zwNBZdFynaEV3kx6xWJ6npqdqZnCupDgi2Hu5b6oXxNdCDQXdNuldPGh