1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/8/24 3:21 p.m.
feature_image

Consider this a blue-chip future classic of the Gran Turismo era: A Japanese-market, EK-chassis, Honda Civic Type R.

Showing 62,717 kilometers (approximately 38,970 miles) the Type R–unlike many EK-chassis Hondas of this era–is largely original.

Before crossing the auction block at the Mecum Florida Summer Special on July 12, what do you think this 1998 Honda Civic Type R will …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
7/8/24 3:27 p.m.

Huh. That's an interesting interior feature...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/8/24 3:29 p.m.

Yes. Yes, I do need that.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/8/24 3:38 p.m.

I prefer Awesome Mix Vol. 1 but yes, I do need that car.

David S. Wallens
7/8/24 3:59 p.m.

Or do you go with the JDM Integra Type R? It will also be offered at Mecum.

Colin Wood
7/8/24 5:08 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I actually wouldn't mind a JDM Integra Type R sedan like this one, mainly because it would be like having my first car, a base model Integra sedan, all over again.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/8/24 5:17 p.m.

Man, that little CTR just ticks a lot of boxes for me regarding size, weight, shape, looks, performance, and engineering.

David S. Wallens
7/8/24 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

I know, I know. We had a 2000 Civic Si and loved it. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
7/8/24 6:33 p.m.

Seriously. When I see this I think, is the new CTR even a Civic? That's the size car I want. 

David S. Wallens
7/8/24 6:39 p.m.

And I had the yellow one in Gran Turismo. It was one of my go-to cars. 

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/9/24 8:05 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

A Veloster is shockingly close in dimensions to an EK hatch

David S. Wallens
7/9/24 9:08 a.m.

Well, I’ll be at Mecum on Thursday, so eager to see it in the flesh/steel. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
7/9/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

Wow, really? Good to know. Looked it up and it's 3" longer than a EK hatch, not bad. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/24 10:46 a.m.

All this talk of length made me look that up compared to my Mirage. The mirage is 10" shorter than the CTR but only listed as 10KG less. I need to find where the weight is on the mirage as the CTR has so many more options. 

I got my mirage because it was 60% less than the CTR that went 2 cars before it in the auction (Similar specs/Miles)

The CTR is a cool car though for sure. I'm interested to see where the JDM market settles out as demand is softening significantly from what I've seen. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
7/9/24 11:59 a.m.
CyberEric said:

In reply to prodarwin :

Wow, really? Good to know. Looked it up and it's 3" longer than a EK hatch, not bad. 

IMO dimensions, driven wheels, and a hatch are the only similarities between the 2.

This thread makes me long for my B18 swapped EK hatch. Damn thieves..

David S. Wallens
7/9/24 12:01 p.m.

Oddly, last night, I had a dream involving a white second-gen CRX. Maybe it was even my old one. Maybe it’s a sign to register as a bidder. 

Colin Wood
7/9/24 12:02 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm here for any enablement you need. wink

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/9/24 12:19 p.m.
prodarwin said:

In reply to CyberEric :

I'm as Honda fan-boi as anyone...but lately Hyundai is catching my eye for both looks and performance.  I drove one at the Ring last year for a couple days and it ticked many more boxes than Honda's latest offerings.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/9/24 7:57 p.m.

Glad to see the big car auctions are listing more of the these types of cars like the Civic and Integra Type R's. I've seen some early Z cars and bugs cross the block but typically it's the usual stuff. Not that I am complaining, just prefer a bigger mix. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/9/24 8:02 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
prodarwin said:

In reply to CyberEric :

I'm as Honda fan-boi as anyone...but lately Hyundai is catching my eye for both looks and performance.  I drove one at the Ring last year for a couple days and it ticked many more boxes than Honda's latest offerings.

Me too. Latest purchase was a 2023 Kona N. I am a convert. So well done.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
7/9/24 9:33 p.m.

The want for the original Civic Type R is very strong, I think it is close to perfect car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/24 10:07 p.m.
prodarwin said:

In reply to CyberEric :

It doesn't rev to the moon though, and IIRC weighs a good 400ish pounds more.

Going to fact check that now.  The new Veloster is 2800-3200(!!) pounds, the EK9 CTR was in the mid 2300s. So I was off by a lot but in the wrong direction.

What's interesting is that the EK9 and Veloster have wheelbases within an inch of each other.  I thought those Civics had shorter wheelbases than that.  103 vs 104.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/9/24 10:12 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

All this talk of length made me look that up compared to my Mirage. The mirage is 10" shorter than the CTR but only listed as 10KG less. I need to find where the weight is on the mirage as the CTR has so many more options. 

I got my mirage because it was 60% less than the CTR that went 2 cars before it in the auction (Similar specs/Miles)

The CTR is a cool car though for sure. I'm interested to see where the JDM market settles out as demand is softening significantly from what I've seen. 

The CTR didn't have any sound deadening, rust proofing, and used thinner gauge steel in a lot of panels that weren't super important.  There were a few other things too.

It could be thought of as the Integra Type R but with 200cc less displacement.  And almost the same power. 

Also I didn't need to hear that JDM demand is softening right as the good WRXs are starting to hit 25.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/10/24 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Neither does my mirage from the factory. Also my mirage had thinner glass and no clock, radio, and manual mirrors.

They were competitors. My Mirage has 175HP from a 1.6L with 8200 redline and a factory Helical LSD. 

Your hero cars are still pretty strong (Supra, NSX, Skyline) but the 2nd and 3rd tier cars are coming down pretty quick from what I'm seeing. Really hard to get a decent loan rate for these and not many have the $$$ just laying around. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/10/24 1:57 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Neither does my mirage from the factory. Also my mirage had thinner glass and no clock, radio, and manual mirrors.

They were competitors. My Mirage has 175HP from a 1.6L with 8200 redline and a factory Helical LSD. 

Your hero cars are still pretty strong (Supra, NSX, Skyline) but the 2nd and 3rd tier cars are coming down pretty quick from what I'm seeing. Really hard to get a decent loan rate for these and not many have the $$$ just laying around. 

D'oh, I thought you meant the NEW Mirage.

If the little three does 8200 then I may have a look at them smiley

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qajcLNNj5MmQpcZObUqXjKQLL3hMjXedTZVAtjKAL2SNEVyaN2rj13kTR3jpOPkd