Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/28/23 11:50 a.m.
feature_image

What did Porsche do when the 100,000th 944 rolled off the assembly line? The carmaker celebrated the occasion with the–wait for it–944 Celebration Edition.

Billed as one of less than 200 Celebration models to be painted Zermatt Silver, the 944 recently came out of long-term storage from somewhere in Texas.

The Porsche does run and drive, though has some cosmetic …

Read the rest of the story

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/28/23 1:13 p.m.

I see that the ebay seller has a whopping 83.3% approval rating.....don't think I'd go there.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/23 6:27 p.m.

It's not Guards Red.  wink

How can it be special?

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/23 9:16 p.m.

Obi-wan said it best: "A long term sitting Porsche... you'll never find a more wretched hive of little failed seals and mouse chaw."

Maybe I'm being to harsh. Just add new tires, refreshed brake and clutch hydraulics, a full timing belt and water pump change, rebuilt injectors, a new PS pump, probably a clutch, a new interior, and plenty of bits and bobs. For maybe $25k you will have the nicest example of a marketing department Special Edition that only one other guy at the Porsche Club has ever heard of.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/28/23 10:35 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

Obi-wan said it best: "A long term sitting Porsche... you'll never find a more wretched hive of little failed seals and mouse chaw."

Maybe I'm being to harsh. Just add new tires, refreshed brake and clutch hydraulics, a full timing belt and water pump change, rebuilt injectors, a new PS pump, probably a clutch, a new interior, and plenty of bits and bobs. For maybe $25k you will have the nicest example of a marketing department Special Edition that only one other guy at the Porsche Club has ever heard of.

Don't forget the fuel lines, unless you want a Porsche-BQ.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/23 7:30 a.m.

That looks to be overpriced by several orders of magnitude. Which is a little surprising as some of his other stuff seems to be more inline with the market. 

Noddaz
12/29/23 7:58 a.m.

The ad does say OBO.

Someone shoot them an offer of 3k.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/29/23 8:02 a.m.

The most non-special looking special edition I think I've seen, and that's when it was new.  As a semi-recent 944 owner, yeah no.  No.  Just no.

Noddaz
12/29/23 9:44 a.m.
Jerry said:

The most non-special looking special edition I think I've seen, and that's when it was new.  As a semi-recent 944 owner, yeah no.  No.  Just no.

Porsche PR "Look!  We made 100,000 944s."  *yawn*  

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
12/29/23 10:03 a.m.

This is a great view of the 944 flares.

But being only paint and upholstery this special edition isn't very special, and this particular example looks to be in poor condition.  The seller hasn't even replaced the missing rear rubber bumper cover.  Massively over-optimistic asking price.

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
12/29/23 12:04 p.m.

Oof, the things that make this special are in terrible shape. Upholstery looks ruined, paint is probably bad (major contamination in one of the photos). 

I'm assuming the commerative coin in the glove box is probably long gone. $14k for this seems absurd, but if it sells for that then my broken 944 should sell for a pretty penny!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5ZYRiFjPUipHqLVONdx15USQOrnGGvLX2PVC392w5aH803iD6gBlAOMiqgGu5id