Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/26/23 12:45 p.m.
feature_image

No, this isn’t a kit car. It’s actually a rare Brazilian-market sports car known as a Santa Matilde.

Built from the late ’70s into the early ’90s, this particular Matilde comes powered by a 4.1-liter Chevrolet inline-six that’s backed by a four-speed manual gearbox.

The car currently shows 85,000 kilometers (roughly 53,000 miles) and, according to the seller, runs and …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/23 12:48 p.m.

I’ll be damned. 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
10/26/23 1:01 p.m.

That's pretty cool!  

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/23 1:37 p.m.

So, should it be LS swapped or Atlas swapped? 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/23 2:48 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

So, should it be LS swapped or Atlas swapped? 

yes

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/23 3:33 p.m.

Japanese straight six of some sort.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
10/26/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Add says Chevy six. Can't tell that from a pushrod Toyota Land Cruiser six, they use the same manifold gasket....

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
10/26/23 9:09 p.m.

4.1 liters is a lot of engine for that little car.  I approve!

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
10/28/23 10:33 p.m.

Warning! Don't read the following!

Ahh-so? So someone finally noticed the odd relationship between the 1961 Chevy 190 /6 and the 70's Toyota sixes!? The earlier Toyota sixes(thru 1970?) are derived from the old Stove Bolt Chevy sixes that  were used(GM licesened) in Toyota heavy trucks pre WWII.(and Adam Opel, Pre WWII in Germany as well) Chevy gave it pressurized oiling in 53, prior to that they were dipper oiled system(also known as splash oiled).

The 1961 Chevy 6 design has 7 mains, the old Stove Bolt had 4 mains. It's 4 cylinder(5 mains!) derivative lived on in Mercury Marine applications into the 90's. And obviously Brazil and Argentina loved them! I think Brazil built the 6's with a "turbo head"? [][]

The 4 was the base for the 1980's "Iron Duke" engines with a Pontiac designed head. I believe the 4 and the 6 are still available as industrial motors, brand new. Original sizes were 190", 230", 250"(4.1L) and a tall deck 292". Some company at SEMA last year put an LS head on the four(151 C.I.) and made mucho HP's.

In 64-5 Delorean and Pontiac(using much of the 250" Chevy 6 design) made the OHC 250" 4bbl "Sprint 6" that the American Auto Press absolutely villafied!!(much like they did to the 215" Turbo Charged! ALL ALUMINUM! Olds V-8, stock with ethanol injection, of 1963, "too complicated and too small") because it used "a Rubber Band"(cog belt) to turn the cam. Strangely Just like all those "Unreliable" Japanese 4's that ATE the US auto industry a decade later.(and the auto press lavished praise upon! But they couldn't like a 1976 Cosworth Vega because it was 4 valves per cyl, electronic fuel injected with a stainless steel exhaust and used a cog belt!)

Toyota took Chevy's 1961 push rod 6 and developed off of it(J2Z anyone?)while Detroit slung them out by the millions in their most pedestrian products(even Checker cabs and some IH Combine's used them.) with no further development between 61 and 75, it persisted until 84 in trucks.

Please don't believe everything you read, look it up.

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
10/28/23 10:37 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

LS swap because the 6 and LS use the same bell housing pattern, the Atlas, no, pan depth troubles; but probably only slightly more difficult than an LS swap.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/29/23 8:41 a.m.

Has an AMC vibe about it.   (not a bad thing)

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/29/23 10:58 a.m.

Huh, never heard of these.

Reminds me: it'd be nice to see a Puma revival. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/23 1:19 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Aaron_King :

Add says Chevy six. Can't tell that from a pushrod Toyota Land Cruiser six, they use the same manifold gasket....

...and head gasket, and a bunch of other things.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/29/23 1:42 p.m.

Reminds me of a Vauxhall Chevette HSR a little.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hJhcVUtebMlu1zcwN148bYiowj331aLM6cULcwz3sMBIBCFJ7fkvAMQv3xAaquZt