Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/25/24 12:29 p.m.
feature_image

Sure, this VW Squareback isn’t the fastest wagon on the market, but it should still turn heads pretty much anywhere you go.

Per the seller, the Squareback has been updated with new components like front disc brakes and fresh ball joints.

The VW does run and drive, though it does "have minimal rust” and “could use a little love.”

Located in Acampo, …

Read the rest of the story

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/24 12:50 p.m.

that looks sweet

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/25/24 1:17 p.m.

No need for carb heat on that car!  It's likely recirculating a LOT of cooling air into the carbs!   Not a good setup for hot climates (it needs the rest of the tins).  It's also blowing a lot of it's cooling air out the heater ports that are clearly not hooked up also, to the non-existant heater boxes (which go around the exhaust).   30 miles south of Sacramento is a hot climate in the summer BTW.

Squarebacks are a bit rare these days.  They used to be pretty common, but I guess they all got used up and no one considered them collectible (until recently) so most got crushed.  The pancake engine likely did not help, since pretty much all other VW's used upright fan motors, so swapping was a bit more difficult.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
1/25/24 1:32 p.m.

I am thinking to myself how well a Subaru engine conversion would work in that.  Shoot, I even like the color and the whitewall tires yescheeky

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/25/24 1:35 p.m.

I've always wanted one...

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/24 7:47 a.m.

Well, for once I am glad I am not in CA for work. I do not need another car, but I would love a squareback for a parts runner. It would also look great next to our '68 Ghia.

Plus, it would be an epic journey back to New Hampshire in it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/24 10:34 a.m.

I had a 69 Squareback in college in the 90's, cool car, low running costs and even kinda fun to drive. Eventually I got T-boned and it was totaled. I bought the wreck back from the junkyard after I found a '67 fastback sitting in a field that had a nice body but the pan and engine were rotted away. My dad helped me do the IRS pan swap into the swing arm body. In the end I had a really unique little car to drive around Gainesville. Sold it there too. I hope it lives on. I'm glad to see these Type III's finally getting some love. 

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/29/24 4:59 p.m.

Love early squares (pre-70 with the rounded nose not the flat nose).

This was one I had back in the late ''80s. Drove around like this for a while:

then painted it...

Don't have any finished pics of it. This was back when you could take a roll of pictures and did'nt know they turned out like crap for a few weeks...

I had another one that was pulled out of the backwoods in the early '90s:

Was going to get this treatment as advertisement for my custom shop:

Then I was a victim of a car fire (a friend's car i was a passenger in) and ended up selling my shop after spending 6 months in a wheelchair. I really want to build that car, still.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/24 5:41 p.m.

You still see them around here. We have a lot of ACVWs, partially due to the fact that Kustom Coach Werks is in town. Heck, I just checked FB Marketplace and there are two for sale right now :)

First car I ever drove was a fastback Type III in Australia.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VRHsg2u8ppxzdq8WLe8OPJ4M9GP7ofs7XISjhsVoXz9XMoUP1y2ji9f7sAbfykYL