1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/14/13 1:33 p.m.

I'm replacing a metric berkeley ton of stuff on the Integra to make it more liveable/fun. Also, it may end up a crapcan/track car at some point. Anyway, the steering wheel sucks ass. I've had a cover on it for years, which also sucks ass and is starting to slide around. I took the cover off to go around Road Atlanta at the Mitty, and ended up with nasty chunks of old steering wheel all over my hands.

I want something that will hold up well.

I have freakishly long fingers, and I like a thick wheel, smaller diameter than stock. I'm assuming I should be looking at MOMO and Sparco(?)

Oh, said freakish hands are constantly sweaty/oily. So I'm guessing I need something more "contaminant" resistant than seude?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/14/13 1:39 p.m.

The classic MOMO Mod 78 has always been a favorite of mine. You can find a cheaper wheel, but not a better one. If you have sweaty paws, you may want to go with the leather instead of the suede. I'm getting one soon for the Miata, as my stock wheel has seen better days.

http://www.momousa.com/racing/steering-wheels/mod-78.html

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
2/14/13 1:41 p.m.

Well, the picture doesn't show all of it - but you get the idea. This is a Volvo R-sport wheel that was made for Volvo by Momo. Nice fat rim -- and I covered it with a black leather 'wheel skin' to cover up the wear/tear and add some more protection from 'freakish' hands. Over the years, I've tried a couple of other brands, but always like the Momo products the best.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 1:44 p.m.

My favorite is the Momo Competition. I've used the Monte Carlo also, but based on what you said, I think you'd like the Competition better.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/14/13 1:52 p.m.

I have a nice wheel cover that looks like the one in MichaelYount's photo. I like it and it doesn't slide at all.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/13 2:00 p.m.

My favorite is the Momo Monte Carlo, which looks similar if not identical to the Mod 78 posted above.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/13 2:02 p.m.

If you can get one with the same style of leather that's on the Logitech G27 sim wheel, that stuff seems to hold up well, doesn't accumulate filth or have too much of that nasty leather smell.

My AE92 donor has a Grant Challenger where the foam is decomposing into an awful black goo...so don't get one of those.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/14/13 2:04 p.m.

I loved the Grant I had on the Swift. It has been my favorite feeling wheel to date.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/14/13 2:15 p.m.

Momo Monte Carlo.

You can find them in OE applications from Porsche to Volvo from the early 80s to the era of airbags... or straight from Momo new today. I usually pay somewhere right around $60-80 on ebay for a nice used one.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/14/13 2:23 p.m.

Vintage Momo with real Wood

or any nardi wood, hell even a boat wheel if it was wood.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/13 2:31 p.m.

For Auto-X and track days, I like the foam of a cheap Grant. Sucks up sweat, not hot to touch after sitting in a parking lot and they're inexpensive.

http://www.grantproducts.com/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/13 2:37 p.m.

My absolute favourite wheel would be the Momo Prototipo:

Unsurprising, it's "not cheap".

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
2/14/13 2:43 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I loved the Grant I had on the Swift. It has been my favorite feeling wheel to date.

I have this wheel in my Miata and love it. Perfect size and shape, and you can't beat the price.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 2:53 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: My absolute favourite wheel would be the Momo Prototipo: Unsurprising, it's "not cheap".

Tim is correct. The prototipo is gorgeous.

And I don't have one on any of my cars. Yet. Maybe the MG needs one. I have owned a couple of Champions in the past and currently have a Momo Mod.07 on the rally car (good choice) and a Martini Racing Momo from an Integrale on my daily driver. The MG currently has a cheap Grant which has never really gelled with the car.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/13 3:31 p.m.

I like the black leather Nardi I have in my Mercedes. Check Ebay, you can find a lot of nice used wheels from Japan for some reason.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/14/13 3:32 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I loved the Grant I had on the Swift. It has been my favorite feeling wheel to date.

I have one of these hanging on my garage wall waiting to get installed in my CSX. I picked it up at a swap meet for $5 with a random (probably Chevy) hub adapter. It is a nice size and feels great!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/14/13 3:36 p.m.

Another vote for MOMO Monte Carlo. Loved mine. Plan on getting another for the RX7.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/14/13 3:41 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the Personal Grinta.

Though this Fittipaldi i missed out on on Ebay the other week is THE BUSINESS.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/14/13 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Thanks for posting those. They seem to have the same bolt pattern (the Nardi/Personal one) as my stock CSX wheel. I've been looking for something that just bolts onto the hub that's already there!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/14/13 4:15 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: My absolute favourite wheel would be the Momo Prototipo: Unsurprising, it's "not cheap".

This! I had one in my old BRG Miata and loved it. One bonus other than being the best looking wheel ever, is that it is round without any of the finger "groves" found in most wheels. While that might sound counter productive, in reality it works great.

The first time I ever drove one was in Hoelscher's old DSP X1/9, and it simply works great as a race wheel.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

The Nardi/Personal hub is also used by the later 6-bolt Dino wheels.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
2/14/13 4:31 p.m.

Momo monte carlo, big fan.
Ebay, 70ish shipped.

Not so happy with the ebay special hub and QR, developed play about a month in... but for 30 bucks, not complaining too loud.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 4:47 p.m.

I have a Fitti E3 (currently under resoration) and MOMO Monte Carlo.

I like the look of the Prototipo, but I think it's becoming cliche'd.

photo FittiE3013_zpsf3626833.jpg

photo 1983911SCMomo005.jpg

I also have a genuine Mugen wheel that I bought new in 1989. It's nowhere near as nice as a MOMO. I drove nearly 300,000 miles with it and re-wrapped it at least three times. It has one broken spoke and I sold both the hub and horn button. It's an actual wallhanger these days.

photo FittiE3002_zps98bb261b.jpg

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 4:51 p.m.
Woody wrote: I like the look of the Prototipo, I think it's classic.

Fixed it!

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/14/13 4:57 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: My favorite is the Momo Competition. I've used the Monte Carlo also, but based on what you said, I think you'd like the Competition better.

Having owned both a monte carlo and one of these, the competition wheel is much better. Its like the monte carlo but thicker and the different leather is nice.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
joDdnZIHZfpLi2DuwOWljhx2pc0M6Xc3HTg85yiXESuR999C8AWgLNpQWOl6fgqa