1 2 3 ... 6
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/16 8:55 a.m.

I've watched the E30 M3 go from $15k in the 90s to I dunno how much now and air cooled 911s go through the roof in recent years. What is the next car that you can see doing this?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
2/17/16 8:56 a.m.

Clean unmodified Gen II Vipers. The occasional Gen IV ACR as well in really good colors

Harvey
2/17/16 9:05 a.m.

The Viper is so nice. And my wife has approved me getting one.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/16 9:08 a.m.

NSX

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/17/16 9:10 a.m.

NSX and Viper where my first two thoughts.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 9:13 a.m.

There's an Alfa GTV and a GTV6 on fleabay with a buy it now price of roughly $24,000. I think they're asking over twice what they're worth, but the more I look the more it seems these are climbing in price rather quick.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/17/16 9:15 a.m.

BMW 2002 jumped big time in price in the last couple of years. Could they be the 3.0 CSI?

Harvey
2/17/16 9:16 a.m.
RossD wrote: BMW 2002 jumped big time in price in the last couple of years. Could they be the 3.0 CSI?

I'd say anything that rusts into oblivion at the slightest touch of water or salt and has a good sized following is probably a good candidate. In that regard the 2002 definitely qualifies.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 9:22 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
RossD wrote: BMW 2002 jumped big time in price in the last couple of years. Could they be the 3.0 CSI?
I'd say anything that rusts into oblivion at the slightest touch of water or salt and has a good sized following is probably a good candidate. In that regard the 2002 definitely qualifies.

ah, that explains the Alfas on e-bay then...

Enyar
Enyar Dork
2/17/16 9:24 a.m.

SN95 Mustang? Hopefully this happens by March because that's when I'm going to sell mine after 13 years of ownership.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/16 9:26 a.m.

Lotus Europa and Esprit. I am frequently shocked when I see them still trading hands for $15k or less in many cases.

Harvey
2/17/16 9:32 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
Harvey wrote:
ah, that explains the Alfas on e-bay then...

I said "good candidate" not definite candidate.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/17/16 9:42 a.m.

Here's a few I see increasing in the short-- shortish term:

Bone stock Twin Turbo RX-7 (nearly all of them blew up--- find an unmolested, stock car)

1st Gen Viper / 1st Gen Viper GTS ( eventually they will be $100K cars)

Porsche 914 / 914-6 (buy one now, as they are already benefiting from the insane A/C Porsche feeding frenzy)

Triumph TR-6 ( they won't go crazy in price, but very good ones will fetch $30-$40K)

MGC ( same price-point as TR-6, when big Healeys are bringing $60K+, folks will look for other 6 cyl Brit cars)

3rd Gen Camaro IROC-Z---- stupidly inexpensive now--- will be $2OK- $30K before long (especially 5.7 liter cars)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 9:43 a.m.

I second NSX and add 240Z.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/16 9:46 a.m.
  • Stock 5.0 Fox-Body Mustang

• SA/FB RX-7

• Porsche 951 and 968

Harvey
2/17/16 9:50 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Here's a few I see increasing in the short-- shortish term: Bone stock Twin Turbo RX-7 (nearly all of them blew up--- find an unmolested, stock car) 1st Gen Viper / 1st Gen Viper GTS ( eventually they will be $100K cars)

I love the look of that RX-7. So good. Finding one that hasn't blown up and hasn't been beat to hell is definitely a job.

Not sure I can deal with the first gen Viper, though it's look is spectacular.

Joe Gearin wrote: 3rd Gen Camaro IROC-Z---- stupidly inexpensive now--- will be $2OK- $30K before long (especially 5.7 liter cars)

Ugh, I saw an unmolested low mileage one of these with the 25th anniversary stripe package in white with red stripes on a lot about 10 years ago for about $10k. I so wanted to buy it. I just love the look of them.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
2/17/16 9:52 a.m.

Maybe this is a long shot, but rubber-bumpered C3 Corvettes (74-82). Right now they are DIRT-cheap. If you think about what cars they were compared to at the time, it was either the 911 on the import side or the 2nd Gen Trans Am on the domestic side. And we know what has/is happening to the values of 911's and TA's. I know they are kinda turds with regards to performance when stock, but they look good and have a lot of potential. The L82 stick shift cars would be the ones to get.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
2/17/16 9:52 a.m.

Volvo 1800 series... coupe and wagons... some now priced in the mid $20s, while restore-able bodies can still be had for under $2500

7th generation Corollas... and it isn't just because I own one... they are seriously disappearing, and many $250 basket cases, are selling for 10 times that much!

ANY thing rwd with few, or fewer "nanny" controls....

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/16 9:56 a.m.

Good condition original RX7 TIIs are going up right now, as are low mileage MR2 turbos in original condition.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/17/16 9:56 a.m.

Early Miatas? They are already on a steady rise and popular as ever. Glad I got in before that started.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/16 9:59 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: There's an Alfa GTV and a GTV6 on fleabay with a buy it now price of roughly $24,000. I think they're asking over twice what they're worth, but the more I look the more it seems these are climbing in price rather quick.

Are you talking about an Alfetta GT that is called a GTV or a 105/115 GTV?

The latter has been climbing in price for a long time. $24k for a good one is a bargain.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
2/17/16 10:03 a.m.

Unmolested 4th-gen F-Bodies, especially those with intact LS1's and T56's. They're already heading up to the $10K mark for clean examples, bet you they'll fetch north of $15K in the next few years.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/17/16 10:09 a.m.
Javelin wrote: * SA/FB RX-7

Came here to say this. There aren't that many left, and prices are starting to rise. I'd get yours before people realize how good they really are, especially the five letter cars.

Storz
Storz Dork
2/17/16 10:17 a.m.

Anything older, analog and fun to drive. With the serious push towards electric and then autonomous cars fun (at least reasonably priced fun) is going to be a distant memory.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 10:20 a.m.

Four-eyed Fox body Mustangs and the rarer 944 variants like the Turbos and S2s.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ah0xLS9dhBMw9WUGKHFARh43fKbsYYcL6XnsZcI9FaHrngVbxdwEQFSPHyulvHDF