1 2 3 4 ... 6
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/17/16 10:23 a.m.

CLEAN unmolested '83/'84 GTI (original hot hatch)

same for a 2.0 16V "big bumper" '91-'92 GTI (peak of the mk2). I'll take mine in Montana Green.

Integra GSR (show me a clean stock one...??? they fit the accessible but now rare by mod/destruction mold)

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/17/16 10:23 a.m.

Any non riced early 90's Japanese sportscars (Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT, RX7)

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
2/17/16 10:24 a.m.

Early foxbodys are climbing, so are the 87/88 intercooled turbo coupes.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/16 10:26 a.m.

My thinking goes towards the "ricer halo cars".

As mentioned already, I think the FD RX7 and NSX are prime candidates in the near term. I think the Supra is already there and will only continue to climb in price (Are they six figure cars yet?) Integra Type Rs will get stupid expensive at some point in the next 5-10 years, probably clean S2ks also, though I think it will take them a lot longer. Stock Evos and STIs will one day be worth their weight in gold too (even more so than the current owners believe them to be.)

I've gotta believe the E36 M3 is about bottomed out as well. Don't see them getting "expensive" any time real soon, but prices have to start creeping up at some point as good condition, unmolested examples are already a bit of a rarity.

JBasham
JBasham New Reader
2/17/16 10:35 a.m.

280Z, 240Z.

The E30 M3 prices are, IMHO, due in large part to the strange beauty of the car and the relatively small number of them available, coupled with the subsequent success and sporting quality of the brand's later cars.

I think Foxbodies and the 90's Japanese imports all flunk these standards.

Early GTIs might manage an uptrend, but I think the Scirocco is the one to watch.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 10:48 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: There's an Alfa GTV and a GTV6 on fleabay with a buy it now price of roughly $24,000. I think they're asking over twice what they're worth, but the more I look the more it seems these are climbing in price rather quick.
Are you talking about an Alfetta GT that is called a GTV or a 105/115 GTV? The latter has been climbing in price for a long time. $24k for a good one is a bargain.

Alfetta GT that is called a GTV. I'm still kicking myself in the pants for not buying the 105 I saw in Hungary for $15k. At the time it just seemed like so much money, I was sure another would pop up when I had more disposable income. Thems the breaks

jere
jere HalfDork
2/17/16 10:49 a.m.

Fox bodies have been pretty pricy around here same with the hondas they both have a big following. Might partially be due to the location (rust belt )

Mini coopers new style and old.

I would be suprised if any nissans (aside from the gtrs) do much or the dsms

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/16 11:24 a.m.

I think the beat the market type cars are going to be cars only really available in the US or are very rare regardless of location. I think most of the JDM cars are actually go down as they get to the 25 y/o window.

Clean, original motor RX7's are a good one. I think the early EVO's will be worth something as those cars just fell apart.

Any cars build to meet a series requirement. Most of the special edition boost buggies for rally, etc.

I see the special edition track pony cars like the Boss 302 and 1LE will be up there. The 3G 1LE will be something to watch.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/17/16 11:28 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: CLEAN unmolested '83/'84 GTI (original hot hatch) same for a 2.0 16V "big bumper" '91-'92 GTI (peak of the mk2). I'll take mine in Montana Green. Integra GSR (show me a clean stock one...??? they fit the accessible but now rare by mod/destruction mold)

I like the 16V GTI opinion, since I haz one.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/17/16 11:29 a.m.
92dxman wrote: Any non riced early 90's Japanese sportscars (Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT, RX7)

I think the opposite is going to happen here. I think prices are going to crater.

Soon all of those are going to be readily available to import. The 300ZX and 3000GT aren't that much right now as it is but I think Supra and RX7s are going to halve in value and normalize with the prices they sell for overseas.

On the opposite end I think R33s and Stageas which sell for like $4000 in Japan/Australia are going to probably sell for $10k like what happened with the R32.

Like if I can buy a Supra for $10,000 why would I spend $30k people are asking for here?

At the very least it's going to prevent Supra and RX7 prices from increasing further.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/17/16 11:45 a.m.

Another thing to consider is that the buyers who are attracted to the Japanese cars from the 90's and newer also tend to be tech savvy types. I'm not so sure these guys will wax nostalgic for cars without all the tech stuff they've become accustomed to in newer machines. "Hey, where do I plug in my iPod?"

Also-- with the growing concern about safety (especially with younger enthusiasts), will they pine for a 80s or 90s car that is "unsafe" to drive? Ohmygawd.....no ABS, or traction control? No airbags? No lane change departure warnings?

Cars always go up in value when the folks that want them reach their peak earning years. (40-60) When the Grand Turismo generation reaches this age, the cars they lusted after will go up in price. Will it be a bubble like the musclecar craze was? I don't know---- the muscle car guys aren't concerned about tech, gadgets or safety. The kids (now adults) weaned on video games are.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/16 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Ok, that I do agree. And in the Alfetta's case, it's another - just because it's rare, that does not make it valuable.

On a related note- I think Alfa Spiders are good investments. Now that the Duetto is firmly out of most people's grasp, next will be the 72-74, then the 90's Motronic cars, then the 80's Bosch cars, and finally 70's Spica cars. But a really well done '75 to look and run like a '72 will fetch some good money.

Who could have expected that the Giulietta's would be getting over $100k? Blows my mind.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/17/16 12:04 p.m.

I would add the Triumph TR4 to the list.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/17/16 12:09 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: 7th generation Corollas... and it isn't just because I own one... they are seriously disappearing, and many $250 basket cases, are selling for 10 times that much!

This is a joke, right? The bodies were galvanized and it's literally the most popular car in the world.

My vote goes for an unmodded, unwrecked ITR. Bonus points if it's Championship White

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/16 12:12 p.m.

BMW Z3

photo IMG_7076_zpszscon6yu.jpg

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/17/16 12:13 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Another thing to consider is that the buyers who are attracted to the Japanese cars from the 90's and newer also tend to be tech savvy types. I'm not so sure these guys will wax nostalgic for cars without all the tech stuff they've become accustomed to in newer machines. "Hey, where do I plug in my iPod?" Also-- with the growing concern about safety (especially with younger enthusiasts), will they pine for a 80s or 90s car that is "unsafe" to drive? Ohmygawd.....no ABS, or traction control? No airbags? No lane change departure warnings? Cars always go up in value when the folks that want them reach their peak earning years. (40-60) When the Grand Turismo generation reaches this age, the cars they lusted after will go up in price. Will it be a bubble like the musclecar craze was? I don't know---- the muscle car guys aren't concerned about tech, gadgets or safety. The kids (now adults) weaned on video games are.

LOL. As someone who never drove a car without ABS until I bought this 89 Skyline the transition is a bit rough. I had no peddle finesse.

I think the people who have driven up Supras to like $30k now already don't care about this and they are people like me who have like good paying IT jobs and like technology and things like that. There is already evidence of 90s cars having high value.

I don't see the average person caring about them but already the prices for certain cars are unusually high when compared to others of their generation. Like compare 300ZX and Supra prices. Or E36 and 240sx prices. S2000s are still a pretty penny for a nice one. The average person doesn't care about muscle cars either though. However regular non-car people will recognize and compliment the car I own like they probably would classic muscle and they are mostly all younger people though I had a few older guys say things.

Sure you can find junker 240SXs for like $5000 but GOOD ones that are not E36 M3ters are a bit high. Meanwhile I can pick up a nice E36 for that all day.

I have gone to several "import" meets in Vegas and almost all the cars there are not "techy" and most people who go to them are "millennials" people born in the 80s or later.

I put import in quotes because at such things there are muscle cars. However most cars there are 1980s and newer. Most of the muscle cars are from those years not the 70s and earlier.

I think you underestimate the car culture of the "gran turismo generation". They have an obsession with cars like this and don't really care about the tech in it because you can buy an audio system like in newer cars and put it in. Almost most of the cars people like have things people are used to like ABS. I'm sure it's not something people even think of. I didn't think of it when I bought this thing. Other vehicles like sport bikes that are popular with younger people don't have any features like this.

Remember the 90s Japanese cars are the ones that were "ahead" technologically in areas like this.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/16 12:15 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Also-- with the growing concern about safety (especially with younger enthusiasts), will they pine for a 80s or 90s car that is "unsafe" to drive? Ohmygawd.....no ABS, or traction control? No airbags? No lane change departure warnings?

I always wondered if a lack of driving aids would be a deterrent, or grounds for bragging rights...

Woody
2/17/16 12:19 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: CLEAN unmolested '83/'84 GTI

^This.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/17/16 12:32 p.m.

At some point GNs and GNXs will jump from ludicrous to super-ludicrous.

Supra is a no-brainer.

1st-gen CRXs and MR2s are creeping up, as are 2nd-gen MR2s.

Miniboss Celicas are a precious commodity as well.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/16 12:44 p.m.

Unmolested, well-kept new millennium retro: PT Cruiser, Prowler, HHR, SSR, Thunderbird, New Beetle, Z8, S-Cargo. Maybe MINI.

Woody
2/17/16 12:56 p.m.
Mike wrote: Unmolested, well-kept new millennium retro: PT Cruiser, Prowler, HHR, SSR, Thunderbird, New Beetle, Z8, S-Cargo. Maybe MINI.

Have you checked Z8 prices lately? They're hovering around $200k for an average one.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
2/17/16 1:11 p.m.

I think the value of non-M, non-coupe, 6 cylinder z3s and z4s will rise a bit. M roadsters are a still a decent bargain. The coupe cult is already strong. Early Miatas might just sneak up. Sorta like Spike said, "it's just a old (red) ship to me", but the formula is still sweet. 80s & 90s techno is kitchy cool, but keeping that stuff functional might take too much effort. Bodysonic seat thumper, that includes you.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/17/16 1:15 p.m.

Anyone think that a 9-3 Sportcombi manual will be worth anything at some point? We are likely to be getting a van at some point in the very near future and I am trying to find a way to keep ours.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/17/16 1:18 p.m.

A good Mercedes 190E 2.3-16. I've been looking for one, they were imported in small numbers are are the E30 M3 fighter.

I agree with an unmolested, unstolen ITR. You can still find them in the $10-12k range now.

I'd love a good Mk4 Supra Turbo, but refuse to spend the necessary $30-40k they cost...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/16 1:21 p.m.

1st gen 4runners. When's the last time you've seen a clean, stock one? The 85 will be the highest. First year EFI with the last year solid front axle.

Japanese cars that fall under the rolling 25 year importation law. Forgotten GT-Rs in Japan are now going up because we can now buy them. This effect will trickle down to even the obscure models.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ANN8aKlR0Y7Kqj9xv4hfdaQ67itVNF6RW7mSRCw7m2gY2xSKubu5ZEQegrdSl01P