1 2
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/19/16 1:44 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: 07+ Ninja 250, they're quick enough to actually not be dangerous on public roads, and they're dead nuts reliable. They can exceed 100mph, but not by much, and it takes awhile to get there. Mandatory minimum will be a one piece full face SNELL approved helmet(screw anything less), armored gloves, armored riding jacket, pants always, and well made shoes/boots. I can speak from experience that those will save your ass in low speed accidents. Best advice as far as the rider is the same I got, tell him to bend over, pull his head from his own arse before even starting the bike, then do it again before even riding it.

This. All of this. Does your state offer a riding course? Illinois has the MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and it's excellent. They provide 250cc bikes and start your riding skills from scratch and go all the way up to emergency stops, obstacle avoidance, emergency lane changes etc..

For me it was a Friday night from 6-10 in the classroom, all day Saturday 8-4 mostly riding with a couple hours of classroom, Sunday more riding and practicing the riding test maneuvers, then real riding test followed by the written. All for free! Cannot recommend enough!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/19/16 4:43 p.m.
tedium850 wrote: How about a Suzuki Savage (or whatever they call it these days)? If he/you are OK with cruiser style?

S40 is what it called today but its a 650cc single so no go here.

Plus 1 bazillion on a MSF course. Check with the local Harley dealer they normally have them under "learn to ride" name.

I normaly get people to ride in dirt before I move them to the street or to a MSF class as feeling the bike move in dirt helps you realize what to do on the road later, but its not a must.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/20/16 8:16 a.m.

I might offer the Sachs MadAss. Looks like a big mountain bike and it runs a Honda CT clone engine. If you start with the 50cc version, just realize that 160CCs are only a pitbike motor away.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
1/20/16 8:18 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I might offer the Sachs MadAss. Looks like a big mountain bike and it runs a Honda CT clone engine. If you start with the 50cc version, just realize that 160CCs are only a pitbike motor away.

I forgot all about these. I wanted a 125 model. Very good suggestion.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/20/16 9:33 a.m.

OP, looking in your local craigslist, I see Buell Blasts for well under your budget cap and for well less than the Ninja 250's. They are in many ways a superior bike to a Ninja 250, even for a beginner rider. They are very docile and capable bikes.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
1/20/16 9:34 a.m.
lrrs wrote:
Appleseed wrote: I might offer the Sachs MadAss. Looks like a big mountain bike and it runs a Honda CT clone engine. If you start with the 50cc version, just realize that 160CCs are only a pitbike motor away.
I forgot all about these. I wanted a 125 model. Very good suggestion.

See, another reason why I asked. I knew nothing about these. Time to do some Google searching. Thanks!

-Rob

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/20/16 10:25 a.m.

My buddy has one with a 88cc head kit. It'll do about 50 with a 185lb dude on it.

I'm kicking myself. There was a 50cc MadAss in Milwaukee for $400 with a blown motor. A $600 160CCs engine later, and I'd have a 80mph mountain bike for a grand.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/20/16 11:52 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: OP, looking in your local craigslist, I see Buell Blasts for well under your budget cap and for well less than the Ninja 250's. They are in many ways a superior bike to a Ninja 250, even for a beginner rider. They are very docile and capable bikes.

The OP is limited to 250cc for licensing purposes, so the Blast is too big.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/20/16 12:57 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: OP, looking in your local craigslist, I see Buell Blasts for well under your budget cap and for well less than the Ninja 250's. They are in many ways a superior bike to a Ninja 250, even for a beginner rider. They are very docile and capable bikes.
The OP is limited to 250cc for licensing purposes, so the Blast is too big.

Oh drat, I forgot that part.

Does explain why 250 prices are so high.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/21/16 11:04 a.m.

Yamaha WR250R

Easy to handle and pick up. Not fast. Tall enough to see over traffic. Reliable enough for world travel. Can run highway speeds with a 200lb man, camping gear & 2 gal of gas. Easy to handle and turn around in typical license testing size parking lots.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
1/21/16 2:58 p.m.

Ninja 250 was my first street bike at 17. Topped out just over 100 mph. Not fast, got great gas mileage, very reliable, bought for $1400, rode it for a summer and then sold it for $1800.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/21/16 8:06 p.m.

Duel sport or ninja.

mw
mw Dork
3/1/16 9:50 a.m.

At 16, I had an 87 Honda cbx250. It was a great bike and something I would recommend. 100mph top speed and aircooled Honda single so incredibly reliable. If you can find one, they are usually cheap. They look cool too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JTBrEV0IZf2Xoj1iU52malTxfYFP8MmryhYtLlZPds6kZ9hQknP3cPSu2uot9S0N