1 2
failboat
failboat Dork
3/7/12 9:18 a.m.

A post on hooniverse yesterday brought my attention to these bikes. Anyone have any actual experience with them? And not just some speculative BS about how one time you rode/worked on a chinese scooter a few years ago and it was E36 M3? There's enough of that on the internet already I think.

http://hooniverse.com/2012/03/06/two-wheel-tuesday-cleveland-cyclewerks-rolling-two-wheeled-artwork-at-starter-bike-prices/

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/

rotard
rotard HalfDork
3/7/12 9:47 a.m.

$3k buys you a nice SV650. I've honestly never given any of the Chinese or Korean bikes a chance; why would I go against the opinions of all those guys on the Internet that have had bad experiences when I can get something that has thousands of satisfied customers? Then again, I don't like riding 250's on the street. They're fun, but slower than my car, which kind of defeats one of the reasons I like riding motorcycles.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/7/12 10:16 a.m.
rotard wrote: $3k buys you a nice SV650.

Acknowledged, but thats not what Im asking about. I realize you can get much more bike, cheaper, used.

rotard wrote: Why would I go against the opinions of all those guys on the Internet that have had bad experiences when I can get something that has thousands of satisfied customers?

What few reviews I can actually find on the products seem to be pretty positive, but they are not long term, and who knows if the reviewers are all buddy-buddy with CCW and as a result want to say nice things. Just for examples sake..

http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/01/28/cleveland-cycle-werks-heist-riding-impression/ http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/02/the-3200-solution-to-the-modern-motorcycle/

Also plenty of nay-sayers simply because of the "assembled in china" aspect, it sounds like they assume its exactly the same as every other bad product to come out of China. These are guys that have never laid eyes or hands on the CCW product. Im trying to filter out the bullE36 M3 speculators.

rotard wrote: Then again, I don't like riding 250's on the street. They're fun, but slower than my car, which kind of defeats one of the reasons I like riding motorcycles.

Eh...Im more of a "drive a slow thing fast is more fun than a fast thing slow" kind of guy. I am speculating that a 250 would suit my needs, but if I find that it doesn't do it for me they are off my radar for purchasing. I anticipate learning to ride this year and bike shopping after.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/7/12 10:19 a.m.

I have no experiences, but $3100 seem fair for what I'm seeing.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
3/7/12 12:12 p.m.
failboat wrote:
rotard wrote: $3k buys you a nice SV650.
Acknowledged, but thats not what Im asking about. I realize you can get much more bike, cheaper, used.
rotard wrote: Why would I go against the opinions of all those guys on the Internet that have had bad experiences when I can get something that has thousands of satisfied customers?
What few reviews I can actually find on the products seem to be pretty positive, but they are not long term, and who knows if the reviewers are all buddy-buddy with CCW and as a result want to say nice things. Just for examples sake.. http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/01/28/cleveland-cycle-werks-heist-riding-impression/ http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/02/the-3200-solution-to-the-modern-motorcycle/ Also plenty of nay-sayers simply because of the "assembled in china" aspect, it sounds like they assume its exactly the same as every other bad product to come out of China. These are guys that have never laid eyes or hands on the CCW product. Im trying to filter out the bullE36 M3 speculators.
rotard wrote: Then again, I don't like riding 250's on the street. They're fun, but slower than my car, which kind of defeats one of the reasons I like riding motorcycles.
Eh...Im more of a "drive a slow thing fast is more fun than a fast thing slow" kind of guy. I am speculating that a 250 would suit my needs, but if I find that it doesn't do it for me they are off my radar for purchasing. I anticipate learning to ride this year and bike shopping after.

Learning to ride is awesome. Have you taken an MSF course? The beginner course will let you use their 250cc bikes. Keep in mind that you might have one "E36 M3-a-brick" moment, or might not like it, and decide to sell the bike. Re-sale on these is abysmal.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
3/7/12 12:13 p.m.

Get a picture of a real person riding it. I have been there and seen them in person (but didn't ride it) and they are tiny. My 5'3" wife looked big on it.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/7/12 12:41 p.m.
rotard wrote: Learning to ride is awesome. Have you taken an MSF course? The beginner course will let you use their 250cc bikes. Keep in mind that you might have one "E36 M3-a-brick" moment, or might not like it, and decide to sell the bike. Re-sale on these is abysmal.

MSF course this spring, promised myself I would finish some home renovations around the house first. They have one 2 minutes away at the community college at a very nice price.

I have been screwing around with some reasonably quick minibikes with some friends for a few years, so I am 99% sure I would like to actually ride something with 2 wheels legally. About a year and a half ago my best friend was offered a screaming deal on a 2000 honda cbr600 so he bought it having never ridden one. He took his course and rode a lot last summer. He did have his E36 M3-a-brick moment, he did manage to keep the wheels on the pavement and not eat it. He commutes a lot with it in the warmer months, but he is in a more suburban environment, lots of traffic, etc.

Im looking to mostly enjoy it on my commute and get some killer gas milage (45 miles each way, 80% rural-ish 2 lane roads 45-55mph, and a brief stint of 60-70mph 4 lane highway), and also ride with my friend. Size wise im 6'0", 170lbs.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
3/7/12 1:07 p.m.

The Misfit and Ace seem to be worth the money, as they compete more with similar bikes already out there, the chopper-ish Heist I'm not so interested in.

The 250cc motor they use probably does not have anywhere near the power of a Ninja 250 or CBR250R, and definitely not the fuel injected WR250X. Then again, the CCW bikes are $1,500-$2,000 less expensive.

You can also look at it comparing technology and price to vintage bikes. You can buy many bikes from the 70's that will have more power and be just as reliable as the 250cc CCW bikes for under $1000. You could also modify those bikes with the extra $2000 to very outperform the CCW bikes.

Where CCW falls short is the power and general engine aesthetics. It'd be great if they made conversion motor mounts that allowed you to bolt numerous engines into one of their complete bikes. You pay $2500 for modern frame, fork, wheels, lighting, etc, and drop in a Yamaha XS650 motor.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
3/8/12 9:48 a.m.

locl scooter store has both in the showroom and they speak highly of em.

I sat on the Ace. They had clubmans installed and a HMF (FMF?) custom pipe on it. It feels sturdy and comfortable and all that and quality looked good.

I am a fan.

Ill check back with the shop soon to see how they hold up.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/14/12 2:20 p.m.

I did come across another review of the Misfit today, this one taking the time to point out a few faults. I think many of the attributed to the modified bike. But overall they still seem to like it for the price.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2012-cleveland-cyclewerks-tha-misfit-review-video-91249.html

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/12 3:43 p.m.

oh la la 12 hp that would get my 230# moving. :)

i'm guessing i'm too big for one.

skierd
skierd Dork
3/16/12 8:51 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

It only takes 12hp to go around the world, everything else is just wheelspin and ego. That being said, i'm much happier with the 30hp I have and while the ccw bikes look cool I'm not ready to be the guinea pig.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
3/16/12 10:51 a.m.

While I don't have first hand knowledge of these, I think its funny to see all the negative comments about engine size, when in the 1960's and 1970's a lot of bikes (most?) were in the 250-500cc range and considered adequate. A 750cc bike was considered a beast; virtually all had less technology and power than today's offerings.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
3/16/12 8:13 p.m.

In the 60s and 70s sports cars didn't have the acceleration of today's minivans. Plus there were fewer distractions for other drivers. I don't know how safe I would feel outside the city streets on a 12 HP bike today.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/23/12 9:45 a.m.

Bringing back an old thread...I was totally disinterested in CCW until I caught wind of this...Tha HOOLIGUN If this actually makes it to a local dealer, I want to see it!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
8/23/12 10:05 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Great, a 450cc supermoto. I might have to reconsider my "no new chinese motor vehicles" rule, depending on reviews, and whether or not I'm already back on a 2 wheeler by the time it comes out.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/23/12 12:34 p.m.

The 450 is new....everything else they have is 250?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
8/23/12 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

I'm just guessing based on the name of the bike. I'll be very curious to see the price. The big names seem to charge quite the premium for a the supermoto versions of their dual sports (or their dual sport is already pretty expensive)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/23/12 12:44 p.m.

Too bad they don't know how to spell Hooligan.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/23/12 1:27 p.m.

Hey, let's send more money to china.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/23/12 1:30 p.m.

The whole web page is loaded with butchered spellings, so I am not surprised the bike has a misspelled name. If the 450 is OHC and has decent HP, might be a fun cheap commuter.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
8/23/12 2:04 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Hey, let's send more money to china.

I'm not exactly a fan of Chinese built bikes either (my old scoot was a Taiwan-built Kymco), but the Japanese, Taiwanese, Italian, and German companies have started moving production of bikes to China, and I'll be darned if I can find any new American made small to mid displacement motorcyle or scooter anywhere (883cc is not a mid-sized engine AFAIAC).

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/23/12 4:31 p.m.
mpolans wrote: While I don't have first hand knowledge of these, I think its funny to see all the negative comments about engine size, when in the 1960's and 1970's a lot of bikes (most?) were in the 250-500cc range and considered adequate. A 750cc bike was considered a beast; virtually all had less technology and power than today's offerings.

In that resoning why isn't a horse and buggy good enough? I started out street riding a 125cc dual sport. Now I have a 140HP 1050 and a 170HP 1200......I'll keep the big bikes thanks. I actually still own the 125cc, but never ride it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/3/12 6:14 p.m.

Yeah, the hooligan looks good until you check CL and can get a DR400SM for $2500. Tough(er) call.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/3/12 7:51 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Yeah, the hooligan looks good until you check CL and can get a DR400SM for $2500. Tough(er) call.

Throw a 6-speed on it and they'll have my attention.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cQ61JH9CN0O7ugakPbwbWJee9gBKabjkGI0wkUhv8V25PsonmQEBed5iTdbZfTsY