1 2 3
Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/24/14 7:59 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

I can't speak for everyone, but I have nothing against HD per se. What I don't like are bloated cruisers in general that scrape their pegs in moderate turns and weigh as much as the original VW Beetle, regardless of the brand. I like Sportsters and the new Street series.

I like the new SR, but with only 40 to 40 hp, I would be interested if it were $1000 less.

I like retro and air-cooled. There is something about a no nonsense basic riding machine that I find appealing.

What I really want is a Suzuki TU250X or a CCW Misfit or Ace with a 450cc engine making about 45 HP for $5000.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/24/14 8:09 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I cannot bandwagon along on this love fest. You used to be able to buy decent Honda CB450s all day long for $500 and I'm not seeing the value-add here of a $5000+ bike with about the same basic package as was readily available in 1978. Make it $3200 and I'd say it's a good value as long as you can't still buy a clean CB450 for pennies on the dollar.

Almost word for word what I've been saying for a long time.

As long as people keep buying these overpriced 70's bikes, the Japanese will keep recycling them.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/24/14 8:12 a.m.
pres589 wrote: So it kickstarts only, and has EFI. So there's a battery on board, right? And the only time it really gets tested is when it does or doesn't fire up the ECU & injection to start the thing. Is this line of thinking making sense, am I seemingly on the right track? Because if so, this doesn't seem like a great deal. One of the things that the starter in your car does is tests the battery & electrical connections under the hood. Here, you wouldn't have that luxury.

All US bikes now the headlight has to run when the bike is running. There is a quick test for you.

As far as recycling old designs, why you hating on the HD business model?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/14 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I'm not sure how the headlight running when the bike's engine is running is a test of the battery. Maybe if we were stuck with alternator designs from the very first days of alts, which couldn't self-excite at idle speeds, but that hasn't been the case for a while now.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/24/14 8:25 a.m.

There's 2 out there for me right now. The CB1100:

and the new Kawi FZ9:

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/24/14 8:52 a.m.

Yeah 6K seems like a lot for a thumper, kick start only. Isn't that new Harley street only going to be like 800 more than this? Also, don't forget the Honda Triplets that have all the tech goodness, 2 cylinders, etc... I know this is a bike built for a look, but if you want to buy it and then immediately tear it apart to modify, why start with new?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/14 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

That's a Yamaha, one of the big giveaways is the tuning fork logo on the tank. And the model name is "FZ-09". They've apparently put a trademark on "FJ-09" which has me pretty curious as to what they'll bring to market.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
3/24/14 9:25 a.m.

The SR500 (and related SR185 & 250) didn't sell worth a E36 M3. What makes them think this will sell?

That said, I like this bike, but not the price.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/24/14 9:27 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Your right if you want to go full mod right away, but if you want something you can go at overtime and is easy this a great piece.

On top of that the old stuff is getting snapped up. We need something to come in behind and start refilling the beater pipeline.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/24/14 9:34 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: There's 2 out there for me right now. The CB1100: and the new Kawi FZ9:

The Honda reminds me of the CBX I used to ride with my Dad as a kid. The original Jap muscle bikes, UJMs with huge motors and horrible suspension and chassis still hold a place in my heart.

I am not that skilled/ nor that type of a rider. The 800 Interceptor is about as much as I need or want in the torque/hp category. If it wasn't for the enjoyment of turning and stopping your typical HD would be perfect for me. But I don't like the weight nor the riding position.

You picked some cool choices but I will stick with the middle weight middle HP bikes.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/24/14 9:39 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Flight Service: I'm not sure how the headlight running when the bike's engine is running is a test of the battery. Maybe if we were stuck with alternator designs from the very first days of alts, which couldn't self-excite at idle speeds, but that hasn't been the case for a while now.

I don't know completely spit balling. All of the alternator ran units always dimmed at idle. Hell I still notice is on about 40% of new cars. Maybe I am just paying too much attention and it is within spec.

If it is FI wouldn't it need the battery to engage the fuel pump for priming or would it being a gravity feed tank generate enough for the injectors?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/14 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Yeah, it would need the batt to get fuel pressure up. That's my point; on a start with a weak but functional battery, you can tell pretty easily. "Oh, cranked over slow, I better get this thing checked out". I don't know that you could tell that well if all you can do is listen to the fuel pump. That said, my VFR with a weak battery doesn't spin the fuel pump very well, so maybe? I'm just thinking that with the starter gone, the rider isn't going to get a lot of advance warning that the next time he kicks the thing, it may not start.

I'm with you on not needing much more power than what a VFR 800 provides. What has me irked currently is the level of complexity of my VFR; right now I'm looking at having to pull the fuel injection & throttle bodies out of the bike in my garage to replace the thermostat & find out where it's leaking coolant from. "Fun" doesn't really figure into this sort of thing. Times like these I wish I had tried harder to bring home a 919 Hornet.

stroker
stroker Dork
3/24/14 9:52 a.m.

Why can't Y and H find someone who can design a decent-looking exhaust?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/24/14 9:59 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: That's a Yamaha, one of the big giveaways is the tuning fork logo on the tank. And the model name is "FZ-09". They've apparently put a trademark on "FJ-09" which has me pretty curious as to what they'll bring to market.

D'Oh. I was also thinking of the Kaw ER-6N while typing that up. And yes, it is a Yamahammer. I grew up on a MX100 dirt bike and a RAZZ scooter. Even though my Honda has been the pillar of reliability, I still have a soft spot for the Yamaha's.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/24/14 10:18 a.m.
stroker wrote: Why can't Y and H find someone who can design a decent-looking exhaust?

Emissions and noise reasons probably......the honda Bob posted has a E36 M3ty two brothers can on it though.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
3/24/14 12:03 p.m.

new 450cc dirt bikes are FI and dont have a battery. Hows that work?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/24/14 2:06 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: new 450cc dirt bikes are FI and dont have a battery. Hows that work?

Good question.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/24/14 2:26 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: new 450cc dirt bikes are FI and dont have a battery. Hows that work?
Good question.

I believe there's a hamster wheel in there somewhere. Keeps the pet stores in biz.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/24/14 10:06 p.m.

All the naysayers sound like the guys who didn't by the W650 when it came out and now lament its rarity.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/25/14 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed: Stop talking about me!!!!

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/25/14 10:37 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: There's 2 out there for me right now. The CB1100: and the new Kawi FZ9:

I wanted a Street Triple until Yamaha came with the FZ-09. I am in love.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/25/14 10:41 a.m.

Can I just derail this thread a little and say that I hate the look of headlights like what comes on the FZ-09? I think one of the first things to do would be to find a headlight like what came on the early Monsters or SV650's. Maybe even one of the old 8" units that came on bikes in the 80's.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
3/25/14 11:06 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

Agreed. A sportbike-ish headlight, without the surrounding bodywork, looks out of place. Put a big ol' round one there.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/25/14 11:22 a.m.

I like the dual headlight on the previous gen Street Triple.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/25/14 11:52 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Can I just derail this thread a little and say that I hate the look of headlights like what comes on the FZ-09? I think one of the first things to do would be to find a headlight like what came on the early Monsters or SV650's. Maybe even one of the old 8" units that came on bikes in the 80's.

Not derailing it at all. I couldn't agree more.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AvimmUj44UCjfFjCyfO7lCj1OFAFKtIsEZrEJQADhvm4FOFpiTjAZ9jCiq7pNy2g