1 2 3 4 5 6
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/19/15 1:21 p.m.

I kinda like that CX500.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
1/20/15 10:21 a.m.
914Driver wrote: UJM = Used Japanese Motorcycle.

UJM means Universal Japanese Motorcyle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Japanese_motorcycle

Basically, a Japanese standard or sport-standard - upright seating, round headlight, handlebar. Not a sport bike.

I started with a GS500 and the MSF course. Sold the bike a year later for a couple hundred more than I paid. Bought an SV650, ~8yrs later still happy with it.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/20/15 8:43 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: If there is a better starter bike...scratch that, there is no better starter bike.

Mention that you have to remove the engine from the frame to change the stator when you talk about CX500. My dad bought one when they were first introduced. They work OK, but a GS550 or GS650 Suzuki has way fewer drawbacks.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/15 9:56 p.m.

I learned on a 1200cc Goldwing, big, heavy, ponderous... I was in heaven, just make sure you know the proper technique to pick it up, as you WILL drop it! Even after back surgery I was able to stand one up. Luckily 99% of them have crash bars and you very likely won't go over to far. That said, an ex500 has plenty of get up for around town, and would highly recommend something like that as a starter bike.

I went from the wing to a 900rr with lots of engine and head work done. When I about got ran over on it I quit riding due to my ex. Other than an occasional ride on dads wing, or a friends bike I haven't put a lot of saddle time in for quite some time. Can say without a doubt that you should have to have a few years on two wheels before being allowed to tag/register a liter class or larger sport bike. I test rode a first year Hyabusa when they fist came out. while yes I wouldn't mind having one, the ability to lift the front end at will in the first 3 or 4 gears is not something the novice should have their hands on which pretty much rules out most of the 900 or larger sport bike put out in the last 10 years.

AWSX1686
1/27/15 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

Good advice. Now I just need to get the money for a bike.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/28/15 9:26 a.m.

I can have the engine out of that bike in half an hour.

I know, I own three of them.

Having to change the stator at 80,000 miles when you do the cam chain and water pump seal at the same time is a bitch.

I mean, you'll have to to it FOUR times before the engine is worn out.

The internet makes dropping the engine in that bike a way bigger problem than it really is.

Shawn

850Combat wrote: Mention that you have to remove the engine from the frame to change the stator when you talk about CX500. My dad bought one when they were first introduced. They work OK, but a GS550 or GS650 Suzuki has way fewer drawbacks.
850Combat
850Combat New Reader
1/29/15 11:10 a.m.

I honestlydon't believe that you could completely R&R the coolant in a half hour.

None the less, its way harder to change a stator than in say, a 4 cylinder Suzuki, where it isn't even necessary to drain the oil. How is the clutch to do? Equally simple like almost any other bike, or more trouble than most due to the design? I just changed plates in my GS1000 and RD400 without draining the oil. Those are normal to work on.

Its a cool motor. Innovative, when everyone else was selling air cooled fours, pushrods good for 10,000 rpm. Decent power.

Too hard to work on for me though, and the bike isn't really better in a measurable way to machines without the additional headaches.

Anyway, that's my last post on this subject.

Trans_Maro wrote: I can have the engine out of that bike in half an hour. I know, I own three of them. Having to change the stator at 80,000 miles when you do the cam chain and water pump seal at the same time is a bitch. I mean, you'll have to to it FOUR times before the engine is worn out. The internet makes dropping the engine in that bike a way bigger problem than it really is. Shawn
850Combat wrote: Mention that you have to remove the engine from the frame to change the stator when you talk about CX500. My dad bought one when they were first introduced. They work OK, but a GS550 or GS650 Suzuki has way fewer drawbacks.
4eyes
4eyes Dork
2/9/15 3:19 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: Wow, I forgot that I started this post... Thanks for all the feedback! First off I was talking about motorcycles. "Street bikes" Second, I would want a bike for both local and somewhat long distances. I will want to at least he able to make the trip from my planned college home which is about an hour highway driving. Being able to do a two hour trip would be even better. As to my size I'm just under 6 feet tall and about 210 pounds. Inseam is about 32. Now to save some money for a bike!

That sounds like KLR650 territory to me.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/16/15 5:09 a.m.

I put over 75k miles on a Suzuki GS550, and another 30k on a cx500 Honda and either of those is a great bike to pass miles on. I'd buy another of either just to have.

I'd also say the GN400 or it's more cruiser cousin the 650 savage are good learn to ride bikes that you can stick with a while. A big single is very forgiving for someone not as experienced with manual transmissions.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/16/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to 4eyes: OP said "highway driving". Big thumpers are fun bikes for lots of stuff but zinging them down the highway for 1-2 hours at a time is an exercise in torture.

Something like 500-750 in a nice smooth package with a faring and wind screen would be my pick.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/27/15 7:23 p.m.

What does the hive think of a buell blast for a first bike? No highways, people out here are too crazy for that

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/28/15 7:29 a.m.
cmcgregor wrote: What does the hive think of a buell blast for a first bike? No highways, people out here are too crazy for that

Tiny bikes and you pay a premium for the name.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/28/15 8:30 a.m.

They're actually pretty cheap around here

2008 Buell Blast (vin000995) http://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/4885960677.html

But I guess I really need to take the advice offered elsewhere in this thread and go sit on some bikes

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/2/15 2:45 p.m.

The '08 Ninja 250r that is currently under my care is for sale due to an extremely stupid move by its owner(who has never ridden it) Similar price to the above Blast and a better bike for similar cost.

3/2/15 2:49 p.m.

Has anyone suggested turbo Hyabusa yet?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/15 3:11 p.m.

PERFECT starter bike!!!!!! Just ask anyone at the motorcycle rallies in Myrtle Beach!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/2/15 3:32 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Has anyone suggested turbo Hyabusa yet?

Actually, I ride the Raptor(turbo 10r) more conservatively than the '04 10r....and that more conservatively than the sv650 long before it. When you have real power between your legs, it really makes you remember that "With great power comes great responsibility"

I'm also of the mentality of make everyone learn on a 1000cc class superbike.....because I really like Darwinism.

AWSX1686
3/5/15 9:53 a.m.

So I just found a 1980 Honda CX500 for sale near me. Started working with the guy to find a good price, I'll probably be going to take a look at it soon. (I'll try to take pics.) What would you guys think is a reasonable price for something like that? Apparently it's in excellent condition. He said he daily'd it till the inspection ran out and put sta-bil in over the winter.

AWSX1686
3/5/15 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

What about the case guards on the CX500?

3/5/15 10:38 a.m.

I met a guy while out riding in November that had what appeared to be a showroom mint CX500 that I commented on. He said "How much you think I paid for it?". I said... no idea. It's almost perfect... $2k?

"What - are you nuts? It was $400, needed tires".

AWSX1686
3/5/15 4:39 p.m.

This guy was asking $850, now he's saying he'll take $700 cash. When I go check it out, and buy it, I'll probably try and get him down to $650. (possibly Monday)

paddylopez
paddylopez New Reader
3/8/15 5:50 p.m.

I just started riding last year at the tender age of 33. I bought a 2000-ish (I think!) Suzuki GS500E, and that bike is fantastic good fun for a new rider. Cons: no power. Pros: the power you DO have, you can use. Looks good, not an overly aggressive sportbike riding position, handles well, just an all around great bike.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
3/9/15 7:56 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Water cooled, shaft-drive Honda. It'll still be running when the cockroaches take over.

Wife's CX-500 is for sale. $1000 for the bike + pile of extras. Not exactly close though.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
3/10/15 9:40 a.m.

what about a yamaha xs650 twin or a kawasaki kz750 twin? still has decent power but not enough to get out of hand. easy to work on, only 2 plugs and 2 carbs to take care of, both bikes have decent support although i think the xs650 is more supported

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/10/15 9:58 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: what about a yamaha xs650 twin or a kawasaki kz750 twin?

Those two are suffering from the hipster bike tax at the moment.

You can't find an unmolested XS650 up here for reasonable money.

Plus, the two guys I know who have one both say that they really don't like freeway speeds.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BLnQUmS1KmwBG7PIqMzWU6BlWC3XOooSjHXaZC3OUuebrv92wYC88XIP1f5cfZck