1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/16/15 12:11 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Appleseed wrote: This thing has been out for 2 years... in Europe. If there were issues, we probably would have heard by now. The Duke is $4,999. Under $4,000 isn't going to happen. Look at the prices of the CBR and Ninja with ABS. The RC has ABS, standard. The R3 MSRP lists at $5,200 with no ABS.
And look at how many are sitting on the dealer showroom multiple years at that price. The local dealer still has a '12 Repsol 250r sitting there.....$4100 msrp and I nearly rode it home for $2k.

Cannot be that cheap even used they are asking 3.5-4K for the CBR250-300 around here. Not sure they are actually selling though.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/16/15 1:33 p.m.

Seriously though, at 6'3" and 200-220 pounds (depending on time of year), one of these would be a no-go, right?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/16/15 1:38 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose:

Maybe not. It depends - I mean, 43HP is going to be slower with you on it than a 150lb guy but it will still move your arse around pretty well. I know guys who are your size who ride Yamaha WR250R ds bikes around. It's going to come down to ergos - peg/clip-on distances and so on. I've seen some gorillas on a small Ninja making due too.

Go to a dealer, bring tunes and sit on it for half an hour. If you can stay in the position without needing advil it's probably going to be fine.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/16/15 4:00 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

They don't sell, then they take up space until they dump them for cheap and write the loss off on taxes. They'll keep the bigger bikes longer, but that's due to more money on the line.

Also note, there is snow on the ground here.....this E36 M3 ain't sunny San Diego.

2/16/15 4:14 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Are you a dealer and/or work at one?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Negative, best friend does though.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/17/15 10:07 a.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose:

I am a about your size and ride a Honda NT650 that has lowered bars and raised pegs. I fold up into that thing quite nicely. My friends lowered SV650, on the other hand, is really uncomfortable. It has stock pegs but a raised bar (short girl) and a trimmed seat. My issue there is tank width. That video I posted said that the KTM has a really narrow tank. It also has a 2" taller seat height. Of these, that is the most likely to fit me and likely you.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/17/15 10:11 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I just watched that video above and it made the KTM seem like the 3rd best option from that list for a mid-size road bike. The CBR is MSRP of $6.3k though... big jump from $5k.
Its actually a lowpower sport bike, which none of the others really are. I'm surprised it has E36 M3ty brakes though.

The price jump may not be as big in the UK (where the video was shot). Not sure.

I am a little surprised about the brakes too. I wonder if pads and lines would fix that?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/18/15 10:34 a.m.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to drop this motor into one of their lightweight enduro bikes. Would make a sweet dual sport.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/18/15 11:00 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

Why? IIRC, their 250cc offroads make more power without being liquid cooled.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/18/15 11:22 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Nope, the 350 makes similar power (45hp) but costs $9500. That is pricey. Also watercooled. I don't see anyone making 40+ hp on an air cooled motor displacing under 400ccs.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2014/06/13/2014-ktm-350-xcf-w-review-road-test/

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/18/15 12:05 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Hmmm, I they do still make two strokes don't they? a 250sx with a few odds and ends should put down those same numbers. Granted, nobody mentioned anything in regards to price.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/18/15 12:17 p.m.

Yeah, you can do it with a 2 stroke but that is a whole different bag. You ever rode a 2 stroke any distance? It is a different experience.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/18/15 12:38 p.m.

If you ever rode an old RD350 two stroke twin and thought it had enough power to move you you'd not be so concerned with the 43hp, RD350 were in the 25-27hp range (stock). It all about gearing.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/18/15 12:44 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Why? Freeway capability and maintenance interval.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
2/27/15 6:16 p.m.

These low power/displacement bikes are like the Miatas of the sportbike world. Is it more fun to ride a slow bike fast, or a fast bike slow? As long as you keep a reasonable exhaust on it you could actually wind one out around town without going to jail. My first streetbike was a '98 Ninja 250r, I wouldn't mind having one of the newer versions for a cheap commuter. My current trip to work is only 2 miles though, so putting on all the gear for such a short trip led me to a sports car.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/15 6:31 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: These low power/displacement bikes are like the Miatas of the sportbike world. Is it more fun to ride a slow bike fast, or a fast bike slow? As long as you keep a reasonable exhaust on it you could actually wind one out around town without going to jail. My first streetbike was a '98 Ninja 250r, I wouldn't mind having one of the newer versions for a cheap commuter. My current trip to work is only 2 miles though, so putting on all the gear for such a short trip led me to a sports car.

Truer words were never spoken. I do miss my CB-1.

2/28/15 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

2 miles? A decent pair of shoes is all you need for that.

Chet
Chet New Reader
2/28/15 4:02 p.m.

Can anyone share the prices they have found for the 390 Duke ?

I know the list price is $4995 but the local ( NJ ) dealers are adding transportation and setup fees.

Thanks

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/28/15 9:38 p.m.

Dang. Forgot about those fees. I wonder if you plopped down a big enough wad of cash, if they would wave them?

Chet
Chet New Reader
3/2/15 10:13 a.m.

Has anyone actually ordered a Duke 390 yet? Can you please share the complete price you paid?

Thanks

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/2/15 2:43 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Dang. Forgot about those fees. I wonder if you plopped down a big enough wad of cash, if they would wave them?

Depends upon if the dealer themselves are assembling them or if they are paying a third party to do it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/2/15 3:39 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Dang. Forgot about those fees. I wonder if you plopped down a big enough wad of cash, if they would wave them?

On a bike this hot not a chance. KTM dealers are going to try and take in every single bit of cash they can until people calm down a bit.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/2/15 9:16 p.m.

That's what I figured.

D2W
D2W New Reader
3/4/15 1:33 p.m.

This is all sorts of cool. Wish I was in the market for a new bike.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKeE3e04ShxOZrNkRBUuYh3lvFR2KWFWhJkQ94B5YagqjBpm0NKVuYULmiuTvPgm