artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/20 12:11 p.m.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a cheap motorcycle to fart around on some trails with, and I think it might actually happen this year. After scouring FB marketplace for hours, it seems that old 2-strokes can be had for around $500 (in various states of "running"). From what I can tell, these things are super simple and robust, albeit not exactly fast. However, the extent of my 2-wheeled experience is years of mountain biking and driving a buddies dirt bike around the neighborhood a few times after getting my motorcycle license, so I'm sure whatever speeds I can manage on a 45 year old 2-stroke will be plenty for me at this point.

Are they really as simple as the internet would lead me to believe? Are they any good for farting around on trails? What should I look for/avoid?

Seems that the Suzuki TS185 is a common one in my area. A quick ebay search shows that an entire new carb assembly is about $40 shipped, which leads me down the inevitable rabbit hole of "how hard could it be to fix one of these up?"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
6/2/20 12:15 p.m.

They pretty much are that simple.  I play around with vintage outboards and so long as I have compression I can usually get them running with a new set of points, condenser, and an impeller.  Sometimes it takes actually rebuilding the carb, but usually I'm good just by running fuel through them.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/3/20 12:17 a.m.

One issue is finding parts, not everything is available, so get a complete bike. Those carbs on ebay are cheap, but rarely are they the exact one for the bike. I would rebuild the original carb first, then a new one can be an option.

I rode a TS185 back in the late 70's, decent dirt bike for having fun. Very simple machines, make sure the oil injection system still works on it. Some try to just run oil in gas mix, but the bearings usually end up going out.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 7:50 a.m.

^This.

Parts for older Japanese bikes, especially non-Hondas, are getting hard to find. That's especially true for any brightwork, exhausts, bodywork etc.

D2W
D2W Dork
6/3/20 12:28 p.m.

I had a Suzuki TS125 when I was a kid. Fun little bike for trail riding/dinking around on. Super simple to fix. I imagine parts are going to be hard to come by, but as cheap as they are you could buy a whole other bike just for the parts.

I'm not sure what your true riding intentions are, but there are other options. If you want something with more cababilities a Honda XR200 or XR250 from the eighties to early nineties is going to be way more bike for dirt riding. Yes its a 4 stroke, but still pretty simple.

Going the other way a Honda Trail 110 is also fun as hell. They are smaller with not much power, but with a Honda motor that has been made forever, and copied a bunch. They are also valued by collectors so there are lots of parts available, and you can easily get your money back if you decide to sell.

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/3/20 12:46 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm certainly open to 4-strokes. I'm just trying to find something rideable for under $1,000 - with the understanding that I might have to do some minor repairs. As far as my riding intentions; it would strictly be for riding dirt trails when I go on camping trips. 

Am I correct in understanding that 80-100cc bikes are typically smaller than "normal" bikes? How are frames measured? Are there standard sizes?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/3/20 11:38 p.m.
artur1808 said:

Am I correct in understanding that 80-100cc bikes are typically smaller than "normal" bikes? How are frames measured? Are there standard sizes?

There aren't standard frame sizes, but dual purpose bikes 100cc and smaller are often smaller overall so they fit adolescent riders better than adults.  That's not to say a full grown person can't ride one, but they may be cramped. 

If you're looking at old Suzukis, a good source for parts is Paul Miller.  His website hasn't been updated for a long time so it can be best to call him, but he also has an eBay store.  http://www.millersvintage.com and http://www.ebaystores.com/PAUL-MILLER-MOTORCYCLE

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
6/4/20 7:37 a.m.

I sold a TS250 about a year ago for $1400 that I had rebuilt - bore/hone, new piston, new tires, odds and ends - and I still made a little money on it.  My labor is free...  So deals are definitely out there.

They really are as simple as they seem.  Crank seals will very likely be bad causing it to run lean.  Replacing them can take some time and effort, but it really isn't difficult.  I'm back in the market for some little dirtbikes myself to bomb around the farm, and there are plenty to choose from if you're willing to do a little work.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/5/20 12:22 p.m.

Last year I sold my 1976 YZ125; parts were still available, I only sold it becuase the closet MX track is an hour away form my house and I have a new plated dirt bike (Beta 520).

Look for bikes that have a good specialty following; for example Hodakas were never near as popular as Yamaha, Honda etc but you can every part you'd ever need from Strictly Hodaka. There's a place called Speed & Sport Yamaha out of PA (I think) that has a huge stash of OEM parts for old bikes. 

The late 70s early 80s dual purpose bikes are cheap, they're great as long as you don't want to seriously off-road. I rode these off road for years before I got a proper dirt bike..............still lots of fun.

I loathe the 4 -stroke dual purpose bikes (heavy and slow) but would own an XR200 in a heartbeat, they're sturdy super reliable and will take a beating.

If you find an older MX bike you'll likely want to steer clear of 125s (I love them) as they can be rather peaky, read not always great for plodding along.

Gasoline
Gasoline UltraDork
6/7/20 6:25 p.m.

Told me to come back on Wednesday and bring a trailer.  Wish me luck.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/7/20 7:44 p.m.
Gasoline said:

Told me to come back on Wednesday and bring a trailer.  Wish me luck.  

Excellent!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/20 8:24 p.m.

Oh boy, a "widow maker". Cool bike and where's the build thread?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/9/20 3:01 p.m.

Couple things from the conversation here.

• Those ebay carbs might fit, but every one I have seen personally has some kind of terminal flaw that makes it such that the bike will run, but it will never really run the way it should. For example: the slide is pitted or has slop, the slide doesn't actually have a cutaway, floats that don't really float right, emulsion jets that don't have holes where they should, and needles that are not the right taper or length. Be wary. You are ususally better off buying a used original carb for more money and rebuilding it.
  • A lot of old parts for these bikes are still available with some hunting as others have said, and some have some interesting interchanges you can get away with to keep them running. However, the big one I've run into with a few purchases now is when pistons and rings are no longer available. Old air-cooled 2 strokes, especially the small bore ones that are generally revved higher, tend to wear these parts out faster than a modern water cooled bike. Same goes for the bores, especially if they were originally chrome plated which means no overbores, and special rings. Crank seals and bearings almost always also need to be replaced - when they aren't, pistons sieze or get holes burned through them.

Yes, they are simple and easy to work on, but make sure you can get even the parts you don't think you will need before you buy the bike. Or, if you have really fallen in love with a specific bike, be ready to pay for custom parts and such. For example, I have a 1985 Yamaha TY350 trials bike that I compete on...which among other things has a custom cylinder liner, a modified piston out of a Honda Odyssey, and other oddball stuff because there isn't even anything NOS available anymore.

If you really want to get into challenging riding, trials, racing, etc., I usually recommend trying to find a bike newer than the mid-2000s just because modern suspension and handling will allow you to focus on developing skills and speed with a much bigger safety net. Geometry and suspension tech in particular have come a very long way in the last 15 years, let alone 40 or 50. If you're just out for trail riding and such, then even the classics will do just fine. So really depends on what you want to do with it.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
6/9/20 11:46 p.m.

Old 2 strokes are super simple, but as others have said here parts can be a problem.  Not a bad idea to have a look on Bike Bandit and see what availability looks like.  If you're looking for strictly off road, watch for Yamaha IT125's and 175's.  Sometimes a good KDX 2000 can be found under $1000.  

In four strokes Honda XR200's have a big following so decent parts availability.  Just stay away from the RFVC ones.  I think they were 1984/85.  No parts around for them is what I hear. 

Gasoline
Gasoline UltraDork
6/11/20 8:57 a.m.

Got the bikes yesterday!

Now to figure out what to do with them?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/11/20 12:02 p.m.

Make sure your life insurance is current.  

Gasoline
Gasoline UltraDork
6/18/20 3:26 p.m.

WTF.  I made the mistake of posting a few pictures on a Facebook triple group.  angry

I was simply looking to find a new friend in the local area that could chat about these bikes,  look them over, and tell me what would he do if he were me?

All I said was, "Last weeks barn finds.  Is there anyone in the Atlanta area?"

I have at least 25 new friend requests, and that many messages.  They are googling me, calling work, and leaving messages.  Not cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NRGMlHLGqXk1AqjHTZqZtiFXg7tUX7kiMMhSMbxxsElxHjX9TK8Jsiuwzl1uqtiC