1 2 3
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/30/14 4:20 p.m.

I despise cafe racers. The look is ok, but my aging body can't do that dance.

Don't like scooters at all. I've tried them. Not having that tank to squeeze your legs into when things get dicey scares the snot out of me.

I disagree with Nick_Comstock. I can easily find what I want: $2800 Royal Enfield This thread wasn't intended to be a 'help me find something', more of a contemplative 'why the heck aren't I ever satisfied with what I have?'. I think I'll probably buy a RE once I find the color I want (the one in the ad doesn't quite do it for me).

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/30/14 4:43 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

I'm never satisfied with what I have. I don't understand why, I'm just hardwired that way.

Someone on the board recently had a very bad experience with a RE, can't remember who it was. But even though they may have fuel injection now doesn't mean you're buying anything except a very old bike.

That being said I definitely see the appeal of one and still kinda want one.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
9/30/14 4:44 p.m.

Royal Enfield reliability scares me and I have a 15 model-year old Ducati. YMMV.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/30/14 4:58 p.m.

I am with SEADave. If you are going to get a unreliable bike, why not get a true vintage bike that looks better and has the power to get out of it's own way.

Here is a bike that needs only the bags, sissy bars and screen removed and a new seat to look vintage but be modern. Sure you will find some reason to not like it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012494

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/30/14 6:47 p.m.

I don't think the reliability of the Royal Enfield is as bad as some people think. They were probably a little sketchy back when they first started importing them but they've made a lot of improvements since then.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/30/14 7:35 p.m.

They come with a 2-year warranty and fuel injection now.

This is the forum where everyone says to give GM a second (third, fourth, fifth?) chance so why not RE?

I know two people who bought the Continental GT and love it.

Shawn

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/30/14 7:50 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I don't think the reliability of the Royal Enfield is as bad as some people think. They were probably a little sketchy back when they first started importing them but they've made a lot of improvements since then.

You know they started importing the bullet in 1948. You would hope it has improved some.

The problem is, it is a big single cylinder that has no power (22 hp). In the USA, we drive faster then in India and most of Europe. The thing tops out at 75 mph and is taxed at 50mph. The high revs are whAt cause the problems. That and the weak stator. The lights dim at idle.

Now throw in the wooden cable operated drum brake and flexy frame and you have a new bike that would be smoked by a 1969 Honda CB350 in every way.

If you buy it knowing the limitations and ride it like a vintage bike, then it will probably not be the headache, but what fun is that?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/30/14 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

He won't get a fuel injected one for what he wants to spend. I've still heard too many stories, even about the new and improved ones to go into it without a little trepidation.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/30/14 9:55 p.m.

Fun, simple, real vintage and $2000: RD400

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/30/14 11:53 p.m.

So...

OP wants an old-looking bike but doesn't want an old bike.

OP doesn't want to spend the money for a decent old-looking new bike like a Triumph, Guzzi or new RE so he's looking at E36 M3ty, new old-looking bikes like the Sym Wolf (ugh, Chonda engines).

The RE doesn't have any power but the O.P. is thinking of a TU250????

Good grief.

Just buy a vintage Honda so it looks like an old bike and actually IS an old bike.

A 30 year-old Honda is still more reliable than a brand new anything from India or China.

Old Hondas are reliable, cheap to fix and easy to fix. Most bike guys say they have no "soul" or no "character" Those are fancy ways of saying that they start every time and won't leave you stranded.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
9/30/14 11:56 p.m.

I'm with the above. Go looking for a 90's CB750 Nighthawk.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/1/14 6:24 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: So... OP wants an old-looking bike but doesn't want an old bike. OP doesn't want to spend the money for a decent old-looking new bike like a Triumph, Guzzi or new RE so he's looking at E36 M3ty, new old-looking bikes like the Sym Wolf (ugh, Chonda engines). The RE doesn't have any power but the O.P. is thinking of a TU250???? Good grief. Just buy a vintage Honda so it looks like an old bike and actually IS an old bike. A 30 year-old Honda is still more reliable than a brand new anything from India or China. Old Hondas are reliable, cheap to fix and easy to fix. Most bike guys say they have no "soul" or no "character" Those are fancy ways of saying that they start every time and won't leave you stranded.

Since you're picking on me, I'll respond directly.

Clarification: I want an old looking bike that isn't old. I am willing to spend a certain amount of money on one...this does not mean I can't afford to buy a 'new' old bike, it just means I can't buy one off the showroom floor (which is frankly wasting money anyway). My V-Strom is a 2006; I hardly consider it 'old', just used. A similar vintage (insert anything but a Triumph here) can be had for about what my V-Strom is worth.

The Sym Wolf reviews and owner reports I've read do not rate it as E36 M3ty. It has it's limitations, but Taiwan builds a vastly better product than China. I probably wouldn't buy one, as it's just too small of an engine, but it was relevant to the discussion of these types of bikes.

"Just buy a vintage Honda"...yeah, I did that once. Had a very nicely preserved CL350 like this one I bought at an estate sale:

Two things it was: slow and unreliable. A 1970 350cc bike isn't going to be comparable to a 2000 250cc bike as far as power. Add to that the poor drum brakes and it leaving me beside the road not running and it soured me on dealing with the quaint antiquity that is something which lived in a shed most of it's life.

My limit for carbs on a bike is ONE. Between age, ethanol and the damage caused by disuse I have no desire to futz with the setup on, say, a 750 Nighthawk. A lone Amal on a R-E? That I can tolerate. Having read vast amounts of reports from actual owners of R-E's the picture of them as being unreliable, self-destructing piles of E36 M3 is vastly overblown. Yes, the turn signals fall off. Yes, the screws back out from the vibration. So did the ones on my KLR. Big deal. A valve adjustment takes 15 minutes. On my V-Strom, it takes longer than that to remove the fuel tank to even see the top of the engine. Too many people expect a bike like a R-E to be a Japanese bike that is styled to look like something from the 1950s. They aren't. This is what makes them appealing; they provide a visceral riding experience that vanilla bikes simply can't. Every single person, even those who dismissed the perceived lack of quality, that have ridden one have said they are immense fun...up to 55 mph. They just aren't right for the Interstate...but neither are scooters or 250cc dual sports.

What makes a bike 'fun' will be defined differently by everyone. I don't see the appeal of sport bikes at all. High revving, ultra-power rocket ships like those make me cringe; I'd never want to go half as fast as they are capable of, at least not on two wheels. It's just not my thing. Torquey, thumping bikes that like to meander back roads at 45-55 mph? Yeah, that's time well spent to me. Doing some occasional tinkering to the machine is fun. Having to deal with things like 40 year old wiring and corroded fasteners, not so much. But you can enjoy your vintage 1970s Honda-whatever...there's plenty of them out there to choose from.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
10/1/14 7:46 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: This thread wasn't intended to be a 'help me find something', more of a contemplative 'why the heck aren't I ever satisfied with what I have?'.

It's because you haven't yet bought a Harley! Then you will be satisfied for life.

In all sincerity, I can't imagine being satisfied with one thing, for forever. My interests are varied and change with time. I've seen your garage, you're not any different.

So you've a wee-strom, which is a nifty bike. But it lacks nostalgic feel. It's also neither fish nor fowl; doing numerous things well, but none of them in an outstanding manner.

Only a few more months until the big motorcycle show in Baltimore. Take a day and window shop it, just watching to see what you keep looking at and sitting on.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
10/1/14 9:21 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Sounds like your mind is made up on the RE. If you recall, I was one of the people saying they were a decent bike.

If you're limiting yourself to a single carb because of some silly idea that more than one is unmanageable, you're limited to single cylinder bikes. That leaves very little choice.

Sorry you took it as "picking on you" but every suggestion someone gave you, you shot down.

Maybe you shouldn't buy one at all, perhaps the idea of owning a motorcycle is far better than the reality.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
10/1/14 11:26 a.m.

Just throwing out ideas here, if you want new that looks vintage, one carb max, what about the Honda Shadow Aero: Classic look, shaft drive, one carb. This model replaced the ACE 750 which was similar but chain drive and dual carb. Made since 2004 to present. Probably as reliable as an Accord.

Or going another direction, if you dislike sport bikes but want to meander back roads, how about one of the small Monsters? IFAIK, as of 2002 all Monsters were fuel injected. Something like this sweet little 620ie should be available in your price range:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/1/14 1:22 p.m.

ddavidv------ I'm just going to leave this here:

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/4644178693.html

This seems to be exactly what you are looking for--- besides, you can visit the GRM office when you come to pick it up!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/1/14 1:27 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: If you're limiting yourself to a single carb because of some silly idea that more than one is unmanageable you need $5 and a trip to Home Depot for Manometer supplies

FTFY

EDIT: Use ATF instead of oil so you can use it right away (no bubbles)

92dxman
92dxman Dork
10/1/14 2:08 p.m.

I think a Sportster is what you are looking for: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4627398512.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4622915852.html

or maybe a Kawasaki Vulcan:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4587268775.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4689346592.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4670826821.html

http://reading.craigslist.org/mcy/4691770600.html

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/mcy/4685509293.html

http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/4632076991.html

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/1/14 3:49 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to ddavidv: Sounds like your mind is made up on the RE. If you recall, I was one of the people saying they were a decent bike. Maybe you shouldn't buy one at all, perhaps the idea of owning a motorcycle is far better than the reality.

I'm sorry; somehow I missed that post where you liked the R-E. Two reading comprehension demerits for me.

Your last statement also carries a bucket of possible truth to it. I was totally in love with the Triumph Tiger 955i as my next dual sport after the KLR...until I rode one. It just didn't work for me, which was almost soul crushing. I really wanted to love it, but it just felt wrong. The same thing may happen here too, though having sat on a few R-E's I find the ergos satisfying.

It's Foxtrapper's job to see to it I get to the motorcycle show. I'm sure I'll hate 90% of everything there.

The W650 is a nice bike and that's a great price. I'd be riding it tonight if it were closer. I have heard tales of ethanol causing carb problems in those, however. Don't know if that's really true or not.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/1/14 3:52 p.m.
92dxman wrote: I think a Sportster is what you are looking for: or maybe a Kawasaki Vulcan:

Sportster: no. I think they look cool, but almost everyone I know who has one (or had one) tells me I won't like it, and/or they owned one for a year and moved on to something else. The Harley stigma is already a strike against it, and then it's heavy, ponderous and just not a very good machine from most accounts. The only people who really seem to like them are folks who have not ridden anything else.

Bikes like the Vulcan don't do it for me because I dislike the stepped rear seat, teardrop tank and the whole "trying to be a chopper but failing" look. I'm a hopeless fan of standards.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/1/14 6:07 p.m.

Thruxton. Dunno if you'll find one for three bills, though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/1/14 7:20 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: The W650 is a nice bike and that's a great price. I'd be riding it tonight if it were closer. I have heard tales of ethanol causing carb problems in those, however. Don't know if that's really true or not.

My brother and I both have W650s (mine is a 2001, my brother's is a 2000). We've both had issues with carb problems and today's gasoline...if they sit for a couple weeks or so without being run, the carbs get gummed up and have to be taken apart and cleaned. I really need to hook up an inline petcock so I can run the carburetors dry when I shut it off (unfortunately the factory petcock on the bottom of the tank doesn't have an 'off' position.)

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/1/14 8:11 p.m.

This ain't in the price range, but I really like this new Ducati Scrambler:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/automobiles/ducati-unveils-a-scrambler-for-the-modern-era.html?ref=automobiles&_r=0

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
10/1/14 8:17 p.m.

Ick..

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/1/14 9:12 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Ick..

Agreed. They did so well with the sport classic line. That looks gross.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LSe7DmdAStbVwcsksQo5ZTPnskJpbYSOprBnABXJ2pkX1isg5gspXU7k8y91BUR4