1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/19/22 5:15 p.m.

Well, you enablers....should I gamble on this bike?

Early model BMW 1100GS.     Sellers says it fires up but dies immediately.

To me, sounds like a plugged vent in the tank.   What do you think?

The fuel pump, Fuel filter, Spark plugs, Spark plug wires, Battery & Fuel injectors were replaced last year.

60K on the clock and full aluminum luggage.

I'm sure I can get it for arround 1500.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
11/19/22 6:43 p.m.

I have an 1150GS, and I don't think you can go wrong at $1500.  

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/19/22 6:52 p.m.

Yes, I'd gamble $1500. ...and the luggage is probably worth nearly 1/2 of that. I have no personal experience beyond the airhead years, but there's quite a following for the R1100s on the advrider forum.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/22 7:03 p.m.

I'd do that for sure. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
11/19/22 7:05 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

the luggage is probably worth nearly 1/2 of that. 

The wire wheels should get you nearly the rest of the way to $1500

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/22/22 8:01 p.m.

Guess I have something new to tinker with

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/22/22 8:04 p.m.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/22/22 8:05 p.m.

I'm not a fan of the GS bikes, but that, IMHO, is a heck of a good deal. Glad for ya!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/22/22 10:49 p.m.

Run it until the final drive splines strip, then part it out. You'll still make money.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/22/22 11:08 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

While I can not, in good conscious, endorse that as a plan, 'tis very true!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/22 12:05 p.m.

Sounds like someone loaded up the parts cannon already, which may or may not be a good sign.

Given that the bike is fuel injected I'm not sure it is an issue with the tank venting - I've had a bunch of EFI BMWs and they should run for a bit even with a plugged vent. I've not poked around an 1100 GS myself, but some of the K bikes of similar-ish vintage have issues with the submerged rubber fuel lines in the tank developing a dislike for ethanol fuel and self-destructing, which definitely can produce similar symptoms. A quick DuckDuckGo suggests that the 1100 GS might be using a similar arrangement with submerged fuel hoses.

Also, as these have pretty car like EFI systems, I wouldn't be overly surprised if one of the sensors that tells the ECU that the engine is running has taken early retirement.  You might need a tool like GS-911 to see what's going on.-

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/25/22 5:04 p.m.

One thing I've read is the hall effect sensor in charge of timing is highly known to fail with erratic patterns.   I'm starting there, but shipping is slow on a new one.  

Then I need to pickup or build a timing box for this thing.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/22 11:12 p.m.
03Panther said:

I'm not a fan of the GS bikes, but that, IMHO, is a heck of a good deal. Glad for ya!

I wasn't either until 2008.  Swung my leg over a new knobby tired 1200 Adventure that was on the dealer lot.  I took it out and got on the gas and it felt like it was tied to a tree compared to the liter bikes from Japan that I was used to.  But when I got through the first curve I understood.  And the ad that said "it's even uglier when it passes you.." made sense.  I was hooked and have owned a GS ever since.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
12/19/22 11:26 a.m.

Do those have immobilizers? That's the usual KTM LC8 fuel injection issue where they start and die when the key antenna fails or the system gets wonked out for one reason or another.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/20/22 5:05 p.m.

Nope.  no immobilizer.      I changed the HES module (High failure rate) and starter (broken arm between solenoid).

Now...waiting for the battery to charge.  Might need to purchase a small jump box for garage projects like this

It's no fun working in the garage when its in the 20s outside

EDT (Forum Supporter)
EDT (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/20/22 5:15 p.m.

As an owner of an '03 R1100S BCR, this is also the era of biodegradable wiring harnesses, so it might take some tracing for a short. Luckily they're easy bikes to take apart and put back together.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/26/22 10:00 a.m.

Any update??

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/26/22 3:27 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Any update??

I've been absent from the garage this last week due to holidays and super cold.

Hopefully tomorrow.    Last time i tried cranking it,  it was super slow and felt like week battery.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/27/22 9:43 a.m.

Interested to see what the diagnosis ends up being. And did you get it for the hopes-for price of $1500??

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 10:52 a.m.

Yeah, I got it for the hopes price.

This morning's success....It fires and runs to high RPM....on starter fluid.

These newer little lithium jump boxes are pretty amazing

Now to check to see if fuel is reaching the injectors.

Edit.   went and pulled the primary fuel line and filter to point into a bucket.      Nothing came out out when turning ignition to run and hearing the pump whine.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 12:27 p.m.

Blocked filter? 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/22 12:37 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Blocked filter? 

That would be fantastic!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 1:25 p.m.

Blocked filter would be fantastic.    Bad part, tank is nearly half full of gasoline that I should probably dispose of first.

I've heard of plastic tank liners decomposing and causing issues,  this might be the case.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/29/22 2:19 p.m.

Not a clogged filter.    pulled the pump and was able to blow through all the lines.     

the previous owner never put a sock filter on the pump either (should have taken pictures before putting it back together).

Edit.   Found the sock hiding in the tank.   must have popped off when I wiggled the assembly out.

Is it safe to put these pumps in a bucket of water to test operation with a 12v supply?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/22 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

I would much rather run gas through it than water. Otherwise it might corrode inside afterwards. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4FWBgxMRB7JMNUu8EO4DfNHGjSnNCcroEhftVrRquibIUpPGOL3nc5M6RA6CvCZv