1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/15/15 5:47 a.m.

I was quite happy with a GPz-1100 for many years, sold it for a BMW K-100. My son bought it from the guy I sold it to, carried him all through college.

K-100rs. K-75s are lighter, easier to handle.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/21/15 11:52 p.m.

Might I add that the Yamaha Fz1 is considered to be a sport touring bike... Detuned R1 engine, upright-ish seating, 1000cc, comfortable.

I am a bit biased as i own one, but it does sporty riding nicely and with some personal touches , does solid touring. I am a tall guy 6ft2in and a taller windshield helped a lot. The bikes are cheap to buy and cheap to mod and insure because on paper they are old mans sport-touring bikes, not rockets.

Food for thought

jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
5/22/15 8:26 a.m.

Anybody had experience with the Yamaha FJR's? Always though they looked cool.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
5/22/15 3:09 p.m.

I've got 60k miles on my 07 FJR. Best bike I've ever had.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/22/15 7:27 p.m.

I rode an 800 BMW. Liked it, don't remember exactly what it was, but neat. Like what I imagine an SV650, or 900SS is like. Just a bike type bik. I HATED that every fastener was TORX.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/22/15 8:17 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

It was probably an F800GS. Tall, parallel twin? Looks vaguely like:

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/22/15 8:28 p.m.

I will also reaffirm my love for the big R1200GS Adventure. No shin cooking and torque like a train. It can really carve into twisties like a tall/fat bike has no business doing and that is not all ... this pic was taken while standing on the pegs doing 50MPH in 3rd gear with one hand on a sandy forest road today. Lots of street bikes with go just fine on this kind of road... but not so easily that even I can do it with one hand tied behind my back (or... holding a camera as it were).

I did 100 miles of off-road in Loyalsock State forest and another 120 of ripping twisty asphalt to/from and I'm not a bit sore or tired. It took some getting used to from sport or super fast touring bikes I was used to but I am a huge fan now. It's a freaking jeep that can wheelie on dirt and drag the pegs all day on blacktop. With the luggage still on. AFAIK, it's only downside is cost... which is why mine was 7 years old when I got it.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
6/4/15 5:05 p.m.

Aprilia Futura

Inexpensive, reliable, comfy and sporty.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/4/15 6:44 p.m.

That bike is inexpensive? Like how much we talking here?

Also, I snagged a really clean CB650C for next to nothing that is going to be a simple side project for this summer. I am trying to make this one a budget build.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3AP2ZhESfFYRCmS3GBzrcD6bkXcMIimUofuwwFS5iTkO1fs2xZQps0TI7pTbXmlT