1 2 3 4
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/4/23 8:37 p.m.

Well, ya boy is a glutton for punishment and got a little nostalgic on craiglist. 

$300 and 5 hour round trip later. 

Back story is guy bought it for his wife and she dropped it first ride. 

The oem 23 year old tires probably don't help. 

2000 sv650 2,200 miles on it. Will update with my list of it's needs. It is stock as stock gets for a sv650. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/4/23 8:39 p.m.

Nice buy!

I don't see a ton of damage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/4/23 8:45 p.m.

A $300 SV? I'd have been on that like flies on E36 M3. Total score.

Dibs if it comes a time to sell it.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/4/23 9:13 p.m.

I have a factory service manual and cartidge emulators for the forks. Interested?

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/23 10:29 p.m.

Score! Nice base for a project! Bring it back to life, and your total outlay won't be much. With that cheap initial buy-in, you could also go wild with mods if you wanted! smiley

10/5/23 8:00 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

It definitely has been dropped, but I thought it was a killer buy still. 

10/5/23 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I will definitely keep that in mind! That's why I took a sick day and hopped in the truck 

10/5/23 8:01 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Would be super interested. Pm sent. 

10/5/23 8:15 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh absolutely. I wanted to do some track next year on some bigger tracks so this is absolutely ideal. A few groups have a "street" bike class where you just hpde style lapping where you don't need to safety wire the bike to hell and strip it super far down. I think only mods really on my list was a brembo rcs19 (from my parts stash) braided lines, rebuild calipers, good pads and suspension and tires. I'd consider a nice slip-on if I got a killer deal on one. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/5/23 10:23 a.m.

You need the timing advancer woodruff key and to run premium only. Cheap, easy, and there are no downsides. Torque off the line goes way up (like triple) and $/mile goes down, miles/tank goes up.

10/5/23 10:50 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Got a good link for that? Writeup and or parts. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/5/23 10:56 a.m.

I can try to find info. Mine was sourced from the UK. It is a 5mm wide key, cut to 4mm with the top 1mm offset 1mm. It gives about 4 degrees of advance. Super easy to do stateside except for finding the 5mm thick woodruff key in the states. Obviously a machine shop can make a key, but shipping over the pond is cheaper.

10/5/23 11:18 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I'll do some research also. It sounds like a supe good bang for the buck upgrade. I also always run premium in the bikes. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/5/23 2:07 p.m.

Dang.. that's a steal!    I've always liked the look of that bike as well

10/5/23 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

should be dialed when it's done. I'm excited. I also love these bikes from afar! 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/5/23 11:19 p.m.

Nice score!  I know it's not a dual sport but dropping a Ktm is an almost daily occurrence and not really frowned upon, haha

former520
former520 HalfDork
10/5/23 11:41 p.m.

Very nice score.  Had one for years built to a open track day bike.  Loved it, nimble and and fun to ride.

10/6/23 10:32 a.m.
docwyte said:

Nice score!  I know it's not a dual sport but dropping a Ktm is an almost daily occurrence and not really frowned upon, haha

Ya, but just moving this bike around I can see why no one wanted to ride it. The tires are so slick you touch the brake they skid. My intrusive thoughts say I wanna try them. 

10/6/23 10:32 a.m.
former520 said:

Very nice score.  Had one for years built to a open track day bike.  Loved it, nimble and and fun to ride.

Big part of my purchase of this is to do some hpdes.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/23 10:36 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

Ya, but just moving this bike around I can see why no one wanted to ride it. The tires are so slick you touch the brake they skid. My intrusive thoughts say I wanna try them. 

Just put a new tire on the front and have some drifty fun.

10/6/23 11:32 a.m.
EvanB said:
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

Just put a new tire on the front and have some drifty fun.

There has been talk of that. 

10/6/23 12:20 p.m.

So the bike has low miles and zero maintenance history so it does need some along with fixing some of the drop damage. Here is my current list with some explanations. 

Sv650:

-Oil change x2

-New tank/new cap: I opened the tank and there was some rust, I cleaned it with some vinegar and baking soda and it was leaking from basically everywhere, a long with finding out it was coated at one point. Like all sides of the tank has leaks and the fuel level sending unit fell out. I scored a cheap decent tank locally. I also wanted a non locking cap so gonna order one. 

-Carb rebuild: I know they are gummed up

-Petcock/pump/filter/fuel cut off/filter: vacuum Petcock leaks a little, going to rebuild it. Fuel pump sorta works but pisses fuel. Gonna add a fuel cut off and a filter just because. 

-Plugs cr8e and coolant flush 

-Tires roadsmart 3: I get a killer deal on dunlops and also wanted to try these out. Bunch of people at work speak highly of them. 

-Chain and sprocket 15/47: sprockets look nice but the chains o rings are rotten and falling out. I am still 50/50 some days on slapping a chain on it and leaving those sprockets. 

-woodruf key mod: reading into where to get parts fit this. 

-Front Brakes: front brakes stick badly but work. brembo rcs19 master, got it on trade, probably a nice upgrade over what's on there, still back and forth on that vs rebuilding the master. calipers rebuild, stainless lines, ebc HH pads

-Shifter/clutch lever: got broke during its fall

-throttle tube 01-0094, grips: they are slimy

-Fender: broken 

-suspension: wanna redo all the suspension, been looking at options. 

-Paint/body/looks: gonna be ugly for a while and my best buddy is a absolute mad man painter. 

Bike does run well enough where I know I can easily save it and it be my little run around and track bike loaner thing for pretty low budget and have it basically dialed

This will be a pretty slow thread compared to some of my others. It's kind of a back burner project. I would like to have it done done by spring. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/23 12:28 p.m.

Many years ago, on my commute to a previous job, I was passed on an almost daily basis by a super-moto-styled SV650. I still remember the lovely sound of that V-twin. Can't wait to see this build!

10/6/23 3:50 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Many years ago, on my commute to a previous job, I was passed on an almost daily basis by a super-moto-styled SV650. I still remember the lovely sound of that V-twin. Can't wait to see this build!

Growing up there was a guy who drove by my house daily on his. Made me really fall in love with them. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/7/23 12:02 a.m.

I miss my 03 SV650S. Picked it up for a good deal due to some minor cosmetic issues from a super low speed drop. I figured I may eventually add to the cosmetic issues so never bothered to fix them. I still have a belly pan and rear tire hugger for it. Pretty certain they won't fit your 1st gen. 

However I do still have a '06? GSXR 600 rear shock with dogbones if you're interested.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UqWeglsgvzjBHgP5Kx9PVTxz0N1t8QCFMqb32U3QWSlblCJNsO41XUxWM6bmJCxM